I'm back - Royal Princess Insights vs. Celebrity

Andy

I am sure there are crowds out there looking for a comparison of Perry G. :)

Welcome back Host Andy. Please compare the two lines and tell us all about Perry - how was he received, what kind of venue, did he do the same performance or change it at all, etc.

Thanks.

Hi Everyone,

Let's begin with the requests about Perry Grant. Perry was absolutely wonderful as usual. He was so happy to be reunited with Princess, and his many fans (there were dozens on this cruise) couldn't be happier for him. I'd say his first sailing on Princess a huge success.

Princess has Perry performing in Crooners, a venue on Deck 7 Mid-ship by the Atrium. Perry performed 2-3 sets per night. Crooners is a MUCH better venue for Perry, than Cellar Masters. Not that Cellar Masters is bad... it's actually a beautiful venue. However, it totally wasn't the right fit for Perry or any performer for that matter. Crooners might be less than perfect, but it's a huge improvement over Cellar Masters.

If I had my wish - Perry would be performing in Michaels Club on any of the M-Class ships.... but that's another story !

My primary concern about Crooners, is that it fills up very quickly, and you must get there early - especially if you want a good seat. Also, they had velvet rope dividers around his piano, which made it somewhat difficult for Perry to do his "interviews" with Guests - which are usually hysterical, and we enjoy very much. I can only presume they were there, to keep folks from touching the piano. In addition, there was a small platform. Perhaps the rope prevents Guests from potential falls. At any rate, it was getting better towards the end of the cruise, and I'm sure it will improve over time.

On the last night of the Cruise, Perry performed his stage show (twice) in the Vista lounge - a lovely venue, which worked very nicely for him and his fans. If you are wondering, it was virtually the same show that Perry performed in the Eclipse theater.... and was excellent as usual. The assistant Cruise Director (Lexi) hosted the show, and her excellent interaction with Perry made the show even better.

More thoughts on entertainment to come....

Embarkation/Disembarkation/Guest Relations :

Embark : Probably one of the worst ever for us. Everything went wrong ! Upon arriving at Port Everglades Pier 2, we dropped off our bags with the Porters. So far, so good. Then, everything went off the rails. We were directed by a Princess shoreside rep, to a bench. I advised that Mom required wheelchair assistance, and he said "this is the best place to be". I asked the Porter if this made sense (as it was very remote) and he agreed. Sadly, they directed us to the wrong end of the terminal. After about 45 minutes of no help or wheelchairs to be seen, I was getting concerned that we were in the wrong place. I later found out, there was another area at the opposite end of the terminal - with benches for those who require assistance. Mom cannot walk any distance, and there was NOBODY willing to offer assistance or a wheelchair to move her to the proper area. When I asked several Princess reps for help - each and every one of them seemed as if they could care less. One Princess rep said to me, and I quote "What the hell do you want me to do ?" Seriously ? Not a good first impression at all.

I kept looking for someone to help us out. Anyone ? Nope. Nada. Zilch. Nobody's home. After about a 90 minute wait in very hot and humid weather, I finally found a very sweet Princess supervisor. When I told her what had transpired, she immediately arranged for a pusher with a wheelchair to come to the far end of the Pier, and get us onboard the ship. Words cannot describe how thankful we are, for her coming to the rescue, especially as Mom was falling apart, as she was very hot and tired. I'm disappointed for not writing down her name, as I would given her the credit she deserves. As for the other shoreside staff ? they need some serious customer service re-training.

I know that many of us have complained about poor embark experiences over the years... but this one took the cake. Grading it an F, would be far too generous. I'm grading it an O, as in "Oy Vey". :)

I must also say that Princess' Guest Relations staff, was fair at best. When I advised them of the miserable embark, they were incredibly dismissive and seemed as if they didn't care to hear about any of it. Celebrity's Guest Relations is massively better in all respects.

As bad as the Embark was, the disembark was the complete opposite, and excellent. Everything was extremely organized, and we breezed from beginning to end in about 35-40 minutes. The only negative, was the Tags in our group (Orange) had about 5 numbers (Orange 1, 2 and so on). We were given Orange 4. Oddly, ALL of the bags in the Orange group, were grouped together. Why ??? Finding our luggage within hundreds of bags was our biggest delay - though not an issue, as everything else went so smoothly.

If only the embark went better, this would have been far more favorable commentary for Princess... but we'll sure know better for next time. Speaking of next time, we decided to sail on Royal Princess again next month, for the November 20th sailing. My plan was to sail on Equinox, as we were looking at booking about 2 weeks ago - right before departing for Royal. Due to things just not working out as I hoped, and limited cabin availability on EQ - we were unable to secure a cabin in a favorable location. Once that happened, we decided to wait to see if we liked Royal, and we did - so we're going back next month.

It's nearly 2 am as I type this, so that will do it for tonight. Hope you are enjoying the read. More to come this weekend... please stay tuned !

Edited by Host Andy

Andy -- Thanks for a wonderful "first installment" on your review. About a year ago, I heard (somewhere here on the boards) that RC and X were going to be contracting out the pier check-in and disembarkation staff -- and that it would no longer be RCCL employees. Although, everyone I've seen at check-in on recent cruises HAS had an X uniform and name-tag. :confused: But, I'm wondering if Princess uses their own employees for check-in, or not. I'm thinking that could make a huge difference in attitude (and the lack of service) that you and your dear mom encountered.

So glad that you got to catch Perry's shows! Also, PetesFamily just posted that Jordan Peterson is doing a gig this winter, onboard one of the Princess ships. Looks like the corporate folks at Princess know talent when they see it. Too bad that they only talent Celebrity cares about now is DJ's! :rolleyes:

Looking forward to reading the continuation of your Princess Saga.... :cool:

Andy,

Aren't the shore side staff employed (on a casual basis?) by the port, rather than by the ships.

We have often found the service on disembarkation, especially, sadly lacking.

I hope you made a point of bringing the lack of help for your Mum to the Customer services on the ship and also in your review. I'm sure you did.

Edited by upwarduk

Andy,

Aren't the shore side staff employed (on a casual basis?) by the port, rather than by the ships.

I hope you made a point of bringing the lack of help for your Mum to the Customer services on the ship and also in your review. I'm sure you did.

I was told that the shore staff works for various cruise lines. Don't know how true it is.

Andy -- Thanks for a wonderful "first installment" on your review. About a year ago, I heard (somewhere here on the boards) that RC and X were going to be contracting out the pier check-in and disembarkation staff -- and that it would no longer be RCCL employees. Although, everyone I've seen at check-in on recent cruises HAS had an X uniform and name-tag. :confused: But, I'm wondering if Princess uses their own employees for check-in, or not. I'm thinking that could make a huge difference in attitude (and the lack of service) that you and your dear mom encountered.

Andy,

Hi Wwcrusiers, and upwarduk,

I'm unsure whether these folks are employed by the cruise line, or, whether they are Indepedent Contractors. My guess is, it's the latter. With that said, if they are wearing Princess ID (or any other cruise line for that matter) and they're particularly good or bad, I'm holding the cruise line accountable for the good or bad - as they are representatives for their brand.

Hope this helps !

Hi Wwcrusiers, and upwarduk,

I'm unsure whether these folks are employed by the cruise line, or, whether they are Indepedent Contractors. My guess is, it's the latter. With that said, if they are wearing Princess ID (or any other cruise line for that matter) and they're particularly good or bad, I'm holding the cruise line accountable for the good or bad - as they are representatives for their brand.

Hope this helps !

Exactly!

Hi Everyone,

We had a Mini-Suite (Cat MA), which was an accessible cabin on the Caribe Deck, located mid-ship and convenient to most everything. The cabin itself was absolultely wonderful - beautifully appointed. However, as this was an accessible cabin, it was somewhat larger than other cabins in this category. My insights may not be entirely accurate - as they are based on what we experienced in an accessible cabin. Standard MA's appear to be 299 sq feet - based on information from the Princess website.

Our Mini-Suite had tons of room (465 sq feet w/veranda), a large couch, two (yes two !) televisions, and a huge bathroom - due to the accesibility factor. It had tons of storage with plenty of drawers and cabinets for hanging items.

As for the verandas - ours was slightly larger than standard verandas, with an additional few feet due to an extended angle on a small portion of the veranda. There's been a ton of commentary on the size of the verandas. To be clear, they are *very* small. Celebrity clearly wins in this case. With that said, I feel there's a much bigger picture here. The Atrium on Princess is much wider than on Celebrity, and is far better in every way. My thinking is, in order to make this happen - they had to sacrifice in other places. The verandas probably being one of them. For that reason, I wasn't the least bit disappointed, as the Atrium is far more important to us, than the veranda - which we spent maybe an hour or two on, for the entire sailing.

I cannot offer a comparison verdict, as Celebrity does not offer this type of cabin. With that said, I hope that Celebrity will consider offering a Mini-Suite category on the Edge Class ships.

Our cabin attendant was excellent, but we never saw him. I always enjoy getting to know the crew, but it didnt happen in this case. Observation : It seems that Princess has more cabin attendants, and they did not appear to be rushed at all. After a couple of days, he knew our pattern, and knew exactly when to refresh our cabin. Well done ! Verdict : This is a very close call, but I'm giving the win to Celebrity - mostly due Celebrity's cabin attendants being extremely friendly. Not that Princess' way of doing things is bad - they did a very fine job - but I sensed they didnt want the attendants getting too friendly with the guests.

We absolutely loved the Mini-Suite category, but be aware that it comes with no special amenities such as butler service and such - but it was so nice having the extra space as Mom uses a mobility scooter. It was super easy to take the scooter in the cabin at night, and still have plenty of space to walk around.

We also enjoyed the In Cabin TV. Good channel choices, and plenty of other programming both from onboard events and various other types of programming. I was suprised that you could not view your cabin bill online or make various reservations, but not a big deal. As I'm a huge Mets fan, I was thrilled that the MLB playoff games were available in cabin, so thanks to Princess for that. I'm giving Celebrity the advantage for In Cabin TV - mostly due to being able to see your bill online, which saves several unnecessary trips to Guest Relations.

We loved the cabin so much, that were able to secure the same cabin for our Royal Princess sailing next month.

As always, if you have any questions or comments, please post on this thread, and I will be happy to answer.

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Everyone,

Internet : We received 250 complimentary minutes for each of us, as Diamond Members. You'd think that was great, and it's certainly appreciated - but boy oh boy, was the Wi-fi portion of the internet painfully slooooooooowwww. I'm probably ruined for life, after experiencing Voom on Oasis, but this experience was disappointing. Thankfully, my business was relatively calm, and it did not hurt me too much, other than the wasted time. I'd say at least 40-50% of the minutes were completely wasted due to slowness and connections being terminated mid-session....requiring me to re-type things over and over. One nice touch, was Princess offering Diamond Members an additional 200 add'l minutes for $40.00. I purchased this, as I used about 250 mins in the first 3 days and knew another 250 would never cover my needs for the remainder of the cruise. While I feel the $40 was money that should not have been spent, I didn't make an issue of it with Guest relations, especially as I figured they wouldn't do much if anything based on my earlier experience with them.

On the bright side, I'm hearing that Princess is currently rolling out high speed internet. Believe me when I say, it can't happen soon enough. Same thing goes for Celebrity - especially as we know the technology exists within the RCCL family.

Verdict : Even. Both brands need a high speed and more reliable connection, especially for those that dearly depend on staying connected with work. Note to Celebrity - PLEASE make it happen as soon as possible.

Loyalty Program :

Princess' Captains Circle is a good enough loyalty program, but there's absolutely no comparison to Celebrity's Captains Club benefits (especially at Elite and Zenith levels) which IMO, is the Gold standard of loyalty programs. About the best thing Princess offers is the complimentary Interent Minutes, and that's only for Platinum level and up.

Interestingly, Princess offers a "lounge" from 5-7pm, for certain levels of Captains Circle. We went one time. They offered a couple of very mediocre appetizers, and then "offered" us drinks. The next day, they billed us for the 2 drinks LOL. Again, not a big deal at all - but makes the idea of the lounge fairly pointless.

Verdict : This one was a no-brainer ! Celebrity wins in a landslide.

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are enjoying my insights. As always, please feel free to ask questions or share comments.

I'll probably post my next installment in the next day or two. Anything you hope to hear about next ? Thanks !

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are enjoying my insights. As always, please feel free to ask questions or share comments.

I'll probably post my next installment in the next day or two. Anything you hope to hear about next ? Thanks !

Food. Although I know it's subjective, I'd like to hear your views.:D

We had a Mini-Suite (Cat MA), which was an accessible cabin on the Caribe Deck, located mid-ship and convenient to most everything. The cabin itself was absolultely wonderful - beautifully appointed. However, as this was an accessible cabin, it was somewhat larger than other cabins in this category. My insights may not be entirely accurate - as they are based on what we experienced in an accessible cabin ... two (yes two !) televisions, and a huge bathroom - due to the accesibility factor. It had tons of storage with plenty of drawers and cabinets for hanging items ... I hope that Celebrity will consider offering a Mini-Suite category on the Edge Class ships.

Hi Andy - Mini-Suites are the best thing Princess has going! Two televisions is standard issue. The non-accessible Minis would be smaller, as you suggest, but they are still larger than Celebrity's Veranda cabins. No, they don't offer any true "suite" perks, but they do offer more room at little additional cost -- think of them as Economy Plus seats on an airline. And I echo your hope that Celebrity will include Mini-Suites on the Edge class ships [maybe as Concierge and Aquaclass?].

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Have been taking it all in, thanks Andy.

we booked a mini suite on Ruby for a future cruise, and are hoping that was a good choice for the price...sounds like it might be from your review.

Can you compare buffets on X and Princess? We are not usually fans of the buffet but on a recent Princess thread, some folk say they enjoy it for dinner more than the MDR.....less hectic they say. How were the breakfast choices? We'll be missing BLU but hope they have some decent English bacon....

Did you go to any shows? We know you are a Perry fan, but how is the music on board....live? Variety.? Volume.? Poolside?

Any place for cigars?

Any info re above or anything will be appreciated,

Best regards

Hcat

I think it is a marvelous idea to add some space to concierge and Aqua cabins.

Thanks for the comparisons. It is good to hear other options as the entertainment has not been getting our attention.

Edited by hulamoon

Have been taking it all in, thanks Andy.

we booked a mini suite on Ruby for a future cruise, and are hoping that was a good choice for the price...sounds like it might be from your review.

Can you compare buffets on X and Princess? We are not usually fans of the buffet but on a recent Princess thread, some folk say they enjoy it for dinner more than the MDR.....less hectic they say. How were the breakfast choices? We'll be missing BLU but hope they have some decent English bacon....

Did you go to any shows? We know you are a Perry fan, but how is the music on board....live? Variety.? Volume.? Poolside?

Any place for cigars?

Any info re above or anything will be appreciated,

Best regards

Hcat

Hi Hcat,

Ok, you talked me into doing another installment tonight :)

I'm confident you will be very pleased with the Mini-Suite. As best as I recall, it was about 300 pp more than the veranda. At the time we booked, Princess was running a promo, where we received additional OBC for booking the Mini-Suite, so that helped. All in all, we feel it was highly worth the extra amount paid.

Buffets on X and Princess : As I've said for too long, I'm not a huge fan of buffets. My reasons are alive and well, on the S-Class ships, mostly due to the usual shortage of tables/seating - especially on embark, disembark, and sea days. I feel as if you are on a pilgrimage - in search of the ever elusive seat !

This wasn't the case on Royal. Plenty of seating, with relative ease of finding a table. Waiters were plentiful and very friendly - offering to serve beverages and offer assistance. I also liked that silverware and napkins were placed on the tables. A small item, but welcome.

As for the buffet cuisine ? Of course, the topic of any food is very subjective. Some of the lunch buffet cuisine was great, some - not so much. The pastas were generally excellent - which is a highlight for Princess. They also had rotisserie machines, and the various chicken recipes (different each day) were excellent. The bottom line is, there was far greater of a selection, and the buffet itself was very well laid out, including a separate bakery area. What I didnt love about the bakery, was there wasnt as much of a selection as I hoped for - lots of repitition, especially for such a large area. They also had washing stations at the entrances of the buffet, which I thought was a great idea. The washing was for hands only :)

While Celebrity has a very nice and tasty selection at the lunch buffet, and I believe the overall taste of the food is better on Celebrity - I feel there's too much repitition in Celebrity's lunch buffet, especially on the longer sailings. I'd love to see Celebrity switch around a few more items each day.

Princess is the winner here - mostly due to more seating, a much more relaxed experience, and far more choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Breakfast Buffet : Only tried it once. Didn't love it - but that's strictly a personal choice, as we're not buffet fans. Plenty of choices and pretty good food - but Celebrity's breakfast buffet is much better IMO. Oh, and yes they have English Bacon (how did I remember THAT ?). I thought it was good - but Celebrity's was better.

We did not experience the actual buffet for dinner, but I spoke with several guests who mentioned it was outstanding. One evening, we purchased a Specialty night in the buffet - "Crab Shack". It's $20 per person, and offered 2-3 nights per sailing. It seemed to be VERY popular, so book early in the cruise. I saw several folks without reservations turned away. If you like crabs - it's a bargain. There's 4 menu choices, but most folks choose the one with Mussels, Clams, Crab Claws, King Crab, Corn and Sausage - all of which were outstanding. While I liked the King Crab the best - there were very sharp points on the shell (not a surprise) but, I had small punctures all over my hands - as I needed to crack shells for both myself and Mom. I tried using a napkin, but it was hard to get a good grip. I thought about taking a photo, but didn't want to make anyone ill :). Putting lemon juice all over that, was a real eye opener LOL. Thankfully, I was well enough for 3 card poker later that evening :)

Shows : Mostly went to Perry, and watched the Mets in the playoffs. I'm unable to comment too much firsthand - though I plan to see the shows next month. However, my Sister and BIL went to several shows, and said every one of the Guest Entertainer shows and Production shows were outstanding. As for the pool, and general entertainment - that will come in one of my next installments. Please stay tuned !

Cigars : There's a Cigar bar - Churchill's on Deck 6 forward, port side, near the forward elevators. Can't comment further, as I'm a non-smoker.

Whew. Hope I covered everything. If not, just let me know.

Edited by Host Andy

Excellent review! However, there are a couple of questions/remarks regarding your review.

‘Internet : We received 250 complimentary minutes for each of us, as Diamond Members. You'd think that was great, and it's certainly appreciated -’

‘ Loyalty Program : Princess' Captains Circle is a good enough loyalty program, but there's absolutely no comparison to Celebrity's Captains Club benefits (especially at Elite and Zenith levels) which IMO, is the Gold standard of loyalty programs. About the best thing Princess offers is the complimentary Interent Minutes, and that's only for Platinum level and up.’

Celebrity only provides free minutes for Elite and above.I must agree that at the Zenith level Celebrity is tops.

Were you on a Princess Ship for this review? The reason I ask is that Princess does not have a Diamond Member level. Princess has:

Gold Membership

Ruby Membership

Platinum Membership

Elite Membership

Princess Internet Minutes are based on Duration of the Cruise:

VOYAGE MINUTES

7 days or less 150

8-20 days 250

21+ days 500

As for Loyalty Program: There are areas that Princess and Celebrity does not compare. This is based on a guests needs/desires. Princess provides unlimited Laundry and cleaning services during the entire cruise, not 1 or 2 bags and 1 garment item.

Princess Elite:Complimentary Laundry and Professional Cleaning Services (Unlimited)

Whereas Celebrity provides Celebrity Elite and Elite+:

• Complimentary dry cleaning of one garment item

• One (Elite) two (Elite+) complimentary bag of laundry (wash, dry, fold) on every sailing

Yes, Celebrity does provide which is very good. We like this better than the In-Cabin bar setup.

Access to the Captain's Club Lounge for daily coffee house style breakfast

• Evening Cocktail hour (excludes embarkation and evening of Senior Officers' Party)

So, IMHO, each cruise line has perks that may apply to one guest and not used by another. So, this is somewhat subjective.

Again, Thanks for your reviews.

Excellent review! However, there are a couple of questions/remarks regarding your review.

‘Internet : We received 250 complimentary minutes for each of us, as Diamond Members. You'd think that was great, and it's certainly appreciated -’

‘ Loyalty Program : Princess' Captains Circle is a good enough loyalty program, but there's absolutely no comparison to Celebrity's Captains Club benefits (especially at Elite and Zenith levels) which IMO, is the Gold standard of loyalty programs. About the best thing Princess offers is the complimentary Interent Minutes, and that's only for Platinum level and up.’

Celebrity only provides free minutes for Elite and above.I must agree that at the Zenith level Celebrity is tops.

Were you on a Princess Ship for this review? The reason I ask is that Princess does not have a Diamond Member level. Princess has:

Gold Membership

Ruby Membership

Platinum Membership

Elite Membership

Princess Internet Minutes are based on Duration of the Cruise:

VOYAGE MINUTES

7 days or less 150

8-20 days 250

21+ days 500

As for Loyalty Program: There are areas that Princess and Celebrity does not compare. This is based on a guests needs/desires. Princess provides unlimited Laundry and cleaning services during the entire cruise, not 1 or 2 bags and 1 garment item.

Yes, we were onboard Royal Princess. I'm unsure how much more clearly I can state that :). In the post you are referring to, I made a typo in saying we are "Diamond" members. We are Platinum on Princess - which would also explain why we did not experience complimentary laundry or cleaning services, as that's a Princess Elite benefit.

Hope this helps clarify !

Hi Andy,We were on 4 Princess cruises with 2 being in the accessible mini-suite. One was in an aft suite. Another place where I think that Celebrity wins is in the width of the hallways. My husband uses a scooter (not a large one) and if the room stewards had their carts in the hallways, then he could not get through.

Otherwise, I agree with your observations.

Yes, we were onboard Royal Princess. I'm unsure how much more clearly I can state that :). In the post you are referring to, I made a typo in saying we are "Diamond" members. We are Platinum on Princess - which would also explain why we did not experience complimentary laundry or cleaning services, as that's a Princess Elite benefit.

Hope this helps clarify !

Yes, I knew you were on the Royal. I was just trying to clarify that you were not referencing an RCI cruise, too. Now we have cleared that up. Again. very good review.

Wow... Andy...thanks so much

you covered everything I asked about and more....

we have 3 more Celeb cruises before the Ruby and feel much more comfortable now with your review..we also got a few booking perks...btl of wine, specialty dining and grats...but will have no OBC and will be discovering new ship and Princess culture for the first time,...

The crab shack would be great but dh Sal allergic to most seafood/shellfish and there's no beef option on Crab shack menu. .On X, I think the seafood restaurant replacing the porch has some meat...anyhow glad you enjoyed it...

Thanks again for sharing your impressions.

Hi Andy,We were on 4 Princess cruises with 2 being in the accessible mini-suite. One was in an aft suite. Another place where I think that Celebrity wins is in the width of the hallways. My husband uses a scooter (not a large one) and if the room stewards had their carts in the hallways, then he could not get through.

Otherwise, I agree with your observations.

Hi Judy,

Definitely agree about the corridors on Royal - a bit too narrow IMO, and Celebrity is better in this item. It surely seems they would be impossible to get past with a scooter, if there's carts in the hallway. Mom also uses a Mobility scooter, and it was one of the reasons we chose an accessible Mini-Suite. FWIW, I was told by a Princess phone rep, that they would take away the cart if left outside for too long. To be clear, I have no idea if this is true.... but, I can certainly understand why they would likely be moved. There's simply no room for them to be left in the corridors, in most cases.

Thanks again for your kind comments !

Edited by Host Andy