Kids in hot tubs?!?!

mrobstad

But we're not talking a general / non-adult / for everyone tub - we and the OP are talking about hot tubs clearly labeled on the inside "Adults only" and underneath / next to that metal plaque is "Swim at your own risk" plaque. Big difference....

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Every pool and every physical activity on every cruise ship specifies "at your own risk". That's just boiler plate stuff so the cruise line can (attempt) to deny any liability if there is an injury.

I am concerned about reports of very young children in hot tubs with parents. Up until a child reaches around 4 years of age there is a part of the brain that is still developing. It is the part of the brain responsible for regulating body temperature. The water in a hot tub is way to hot for children that young and can lead to them experiencing a febrile convulsion because they became too hot. I know from experience that these are terrifying to those who see it occurring, parents become hysterical and the childs life can be in serious danger.

I did once advise a parent about this and got abuse i.e. I will do what I want to do with my child ( nasty words ommitted) none of your business. So some through their own ignorance of facts, think it is OK to endanger their childs life in what at first thought is an innocent pleasure.

Totally disagree. All passengers are equal and should have equal access to ship's resources. These are all fun cruises for all ages. If you are looking for a booze cruise with drunk coeds you should look elsewhere.

Why should I look elsewhere? If you're looking for a family cruise maybe you should go with Disney

If something says Adult Only it is really for the cruise line to enforce if people won't abide on their own. If the cruise line won't enforce their own policies that is a service issue.

If something does not say adults only, then as far as I can tell it is open to all ages. The expectation is that everyone, regardless of age, behaves in such a way that doesn't negatively impact those around them. And that statement goes for both children and adults. I've been in hot tubs and pools and there have been children that were 100% well behaved and had no negative impact on my enjoyment. on the other side of the coin there have been adults that were obnoxious, drunk, or otherwise a bit out of hand and disturbed those around them. But I have also been in hot tubs and pools with rambunctious kids and it is annoying, and I have been in there with other adults just relaxing and quietly enjoying themselves. To me it is more about behavior than it is about age.

I agree that if people took a moment to think about the impact of their behaviour upon others the world would be a better place for all.

As for the pool deck, NCL does have policies but really I don't see why as none of them are ever enforced by staff on that deck.

My last cruise on the breakaway this past may, a women thought it was ok to not only allow her kid (maybe 5-7 years old) in the hot tub, but also thought it would be funny to get pictures of the brat eating an ice cream cone in there. And when he dropped it into the tub, her and the kid started cracking up laughing, and got out. Some people are truly clueless and CLASSLESS,

Yeah she seems like a moron

Isn't there Hot tubs in H2O spice? Those would be adult only hot tubs during the day at least when most adults want to relax with a beverage and no kids.

We have a Hot tub at home and our kids enjoy the relaxation that a good soak can give them just as much as any adult. On a cruise they rarely ever use the Hot tubs but as long as they are not "Labeled adult only" they have just as much right to be in one as any adult. Kids like the warm water too.

If you want an adult only area with Hot Tubs check out RCL Anthem of the seas. We cruised her sister ship and it had the best included adult area I have ever seen.

For a fee the Spa on Getaway is worth every penny. Its a great place to escape form the chaos of the pool deck and truly relax. Not to mention you can enjoy a soak with very very few people around you.

Isn't there Hot tubs in H2O spice? Those would be adult only hot tubs during the day at least when most adults want to relax with a beverage and no kids.

We have a Hot tub at home and our kids enjoy the relaxation that a good soak can give them just as much as any adult. On a cruise they rarely ever use the Hot tubs but as long as they are not "Labeled adult only" they have just as much right to be in one as any adult. Kids like the warm water too.

If you want an adult only area with Hot Tubs check out RCL Anthem of the seas. We cruised her sister ship and it had the best included adult area I have ever seen.

For a fee the Spa on Getaway is worth every penny. Its a great place to escape form the chaos of the pool deck and truly relax. Not to mention you can enjoy a soak with very very few people around you.

I don't think someone should have to pay extra to have a relaxing soak in a hot tub. Everyone, children and adults, should be courteous of others and abide by the rules in the hot tub. I've seen children jump into a hot tub when others were in it, I've seen children using pool toys in a hot tub when others were in it, I've seen adults eating their lunch in the hot tub when others were in it; all of this is unacceptable behavior in a hot tub. NCL has to get better at making folks (children and adults) abide by the rules.

Why should I look elsewhere? If you're looking for a family cruise maybe you should go with Disney

No one is telling you to go away, but if you're looking for a blow out party jam and the 20/30 year old set partying all night and being wild, you're not likely to find it on NCL, at least not on 7 night cruises that are typically more family and multi-generational.

Like I said, look at the Bimini Superfast as I am certain that will provide the atmosphere you're looking for. Big party time. Since they are short cruises the cost is low, the guests are young, and everyone trying to cram in as much partying as possible.

Not sure where in WPB you live, but there's always deals on Bahamas Grand Celebration too; you can probably walk to the ship, and now they are heavily discounting and also have groupon deals. From what I've heard that's a party blowout crowd too.

I don't sail Holland America because it's not the crowd and activities I am after. I could try to "force it", but reality is it won't work, so I go where I know I'll get the experiences I want.

Edited by LMaxwell

I don't think someone should have to pay extra to have a relaxing soak in a hot tub. Everyone, children and adults, should be courteous of others and abide by the rules in the hot tub.

Yes, it all about being courteous, respecting others, and not being a disturbance / having proper behavior. This is not age specific.

You saying they lean more towards family friendly is an assumption on your part.

Actually, it's crazy expensive, and I'd be surprised to find anyone willing to pay those prices to be around so many children, if they didn't in fact have children. I'd say there are more families at Beaches than at WDW, any day.

When I was single and child-free, cruising was never on my radar as a fun vacation. Too many families and old people! And I live 10 miles from a cruise port! Now it's a perfect vacation for my middle aged DH and I (we've known each other since HS - no way would I have talked him into cruising until he hit 40), and our kids. Dd19 has a few more years before she ages out for a bit.

In defense of NCL, twice I saw an employee tell parents with kids that they were in the adults only hot tub, but as I said earlier, the cruisers would tell unsupervised kids that the hot tub was adults only. Initially, I found it confusing because I do not recall seeing (on any cruise line) that there were family friendly hot tubs. I thought signs read children under 18 not allowed.

• 4 months later...
You mean the 1 from earlier this year on the Gem and 2 separate drownings on the Breakaway from 2014? All made the national and international news because 3 out the 4 kids died in either the adult swimming pool or the hot tub with supposedly the child(ren) parent(s)/legal guardian(s) there.

There's a reason why they have "Swim at your risk" posted all over pools area - They 're not ones that's going to be burying the kid(s) if they drown in a adult pool on their ships, the parent(s)/legal guardian(s) are. So, if parent(s)/legal guardian(s) want to play Russian Roulette with the child(ren) lives in 4-7 feet of water - that's on them, not NCL or the other passengers that's following the rules.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

I think that the law should be that NO ONE can install a pool or hottub at your own home if a child under 16 lives.

How many children do we have to lose do to un safe water levels, and those cruise ships should have a fence along pool with a key card reader that only opens for adult age cruises.

:rolleyes:

Yes lots of child haters on this thread. NCL, RCCL, Carnival, Disney they are all full of kids and will be as long as the ships have stuff kids and family enjoy.

If its labeled "adult only" it should be 18 and over only. If its not then kids are welcome.

I am not a fan of getting splashed by kids even my own kids but it happens in a pools or hot tub and guess what I get over it.

Don't like kids go to spice H2O or buy a spa or Vibe pass.

Dont like kids then maybe another line is better suited for you. Families are allowed to use the facilities the same as you.

Not true if Hot Tub is labeled Adult Only, as many parents ignore those signs. Then as the OP suggests the kids don't behave like adults in the hot tubs. Adults paid for use of adult only areas, just like kids have their clubs and pools.

If 10 adults decided to come to kiddie pool and have adult talk and splash around parents would have a fit. But let adults complain that kids are in a adult space acting "unadult", parents will be appalled, think how dare you and let the arguments or complaints begin.

I travel adult only and also with a kid, now teen so I've live both sides of this. OP has a point and those with kids don't have a built in excuse to ignore the rules or allow our kids to act unruly, even on vacation.

6&8

Sorry my comments are in with Reply start with Not true

And as a parent, I'd have no problem telling you where to go!

If you haven't kept your kid out of an adult only area why is it problem for an adult to speak up about it? The adult is right, even if your kid simply snuck in and you are unaware. Your kid is wrong, deal with that and not the adult bringing it to attention.

Kids and teens will sneak or simply ignore the rules it's our reaction that makes the difference. We are the adults in the room.

I have a 14yo and he has begged for the hot tub most of his life. With time limits in a non all adult area he has had his moment, but lots of times the answer is just No and he moves on to areas that are yes. He has never been in the hot tub at our local gym, he's too young, end of story but not end of life or fun at the pool.

None of us have a contract with NCL that says I'm paying to ignore your rules.

Agree with the OP about babies barely our of diapers allowed in the hot tubs. I'm not in agreement with that. Don't think I'll be using the hot tubs at the main pools anymore. Sigh.

Two instances came to mind when I read through this post:

1- Hot tub on the Breakaway, hubby and I step in and almost on a kid that was scuba diving at the bottom. Never saw him there because of the bubbles, and when he surfaced, he had a stream of snot coming out of one nostril. He must have been 9 or 10 years old. Needless to say, we didn't go back in the hot tubs during our cruise :(

2 - On MSC, the pool attendants were very thorough about no babies in the hot tubs, and this young couple kept bringing their baby in. Every time they were told to leave, they would get out, circle the pool area, and come right back in. We are talking about a baby in diapers here. Sweet little thing, but no thanks! :eek:

Edited by jeanico

If you haven't kept your kid out of an adult only area why is it problem for an adult to speak up about it? The adult is right, even if your kid simply snuck in and you are unaware. Your kid is wrong, deal with that and not the adult bringing it to attention.

Kids and teens will sneak or simply ignore the rules it's our reaction that makes the difference. We are the adults in the room.

I have a 14yo and he has begged for the hot tub most of his life. With time limits in a non all adult area he has had his moment, but lots of times the answer is just No and he moves on to areas that are yes. He has never been in the hot tub at our local gym, he's too young, end of story but not end of life or fun at the pool.

None of us have a contract with NCL that says I'm paying to ignore your rules.

I totally agree with you. When my daughter was younger we obeyed ALL the rules regarding age restrictions or rules on the ship. That is what parenting is all about. I also do not have a problem letting an employee know that a child is in an adult only area.

So, I have read four pages of hot tub rules but don't have a true handle on this. I have a 13 and 10 year old. If we follow the rules, is there a hot tub for them to use?

Adding, to say we are on the getaway.

Edited by whitgb

So, I have read four pages of hot tub rules but don't have a true handle on this. I have a 13 and 10 year old. If we follow the rules, is there a hot tub for them to use?

Adding, to say we are on the getaway.

Yes, a couple of them will be labeled "Adult Only" and they can go in all of the other ones.

Yes, a couple of them will be labeled "Adult Only" and they can go in all of the other ones.

Is this in the same area as the large adult pool? We have only cruised Disney where anything "adult only" was in an area kids were not even allowed to walk through. Are kids allowed to walk around the adult pol (mid ship) just not swim?