Changing Planes at Heathrow on way to to Danube River cruise

ninaks

Anyone had to change airlines in Heathrow? How long should I plan on it taking to go through passport checks in Heathrow? I am flying to Budapest from Chicago but changing planes in London. I am on American Airlines. They have given me 90 minutes between flights and I just want to make sure that is enough. Changing over to British Airways in Heathrow. Thanks for your help

Heathrow is big and busy as you might expect but you should be fine with 90 minutes....assuming you arrive on time. Lines for passport control can get crazy long in the AM when all the overnight transatlantics tend to land around the same time. But if you have a fairly early AM arrival (like before 7AM) it is usually not too bad.

Anyone had to change airlines in Heathrow? How long should I plan on it taking to go through passport checks in Heathrow? I am flying to Budapest from Chicago but changing planes in London. I am on American Airlines. They have given me 90 minutes between flights and I just want to make sure that is enough. Changing over to British Airways in Heathrow. Thanks for your help

Quick question: Is one itinerary? If it is not ask them to combine them as BA & AA are code share and they can make it one seamless route. You can then clear customs an pick up your bags in Budapest without having to mess around at Heathrow. AA flies into terminal 3 at Heathrow so check what terminal you fly out of.

I suspect that this is already one itinerary. If it is you will be just fine.

Quick question: Is one itinerary? If it is not ask them to combine them as BA & AA are code share and they can make it one seamless route. You can then clear customs an pick up your bags in Budapest without having to mess around at Heathrow. AA flies into terminal 3 at Heathrow so check what terminal you fly out of.

BA & AA are partners in the same alliance, OneWorld but that has nothing to do with code sharing.

Doesn't matter if the flights are booked on the same PNR or if they are separate tickets, it will be possible to check the bags through to Budapest, just make sure you have both ticket numbers available when you check-in.

The other good news is that BA fly to Budapest from T3 so when you land at T3 with AA just go to the transfer desk (purple signs) and they will route you though security to the outbound side of T3 so it should be a pretty quick process.

Heathrow is big and busy as you might expect but you should be fine with 90 minutes....assuming you arrive on time. Lines for passport control can get crazy long in the AM when all the overnight transatlantics tend to land around the same time. But if you have a fairly early AM arrival (like before 7AM) it is usually not too bad.
Double check your terminals....many changes at LHR. Also, are you on an AA codeshare or AA metal. Big difference. Use the LHR connection calculator posted above.

Good luck.

Edited by FlyerTalker

Lots of great advice. It is on frequent flier miles from American so all booked together. I assume I can check baggage through, but was worried more about clearing with my passport. I arrive in Heathrow at 11:15 am so maybe will miss the worst of the lines. I will check out the calculator. You are all the best, thanks!

Similar scenario....DFW to Heathrow on American Advantage Miles, changed planes, British Airways on paid tickets to Prague. Flight from DFW arrived at 8:05, flight to Prague left at 9:50am. No problem. Key is to check your bags straight thru. Even though we had 2 record locator numbers, because we had both tickets in hand, agent checked them to the final destination.

On our cruise in Sept we had only 2 couples who never got their bags in the 3 weeks they were in Europe!

Both couples went thru Heathtrow.... Take 3 outfits and Meds in your carry on! Pack that carry on as if you won't ever see your bags ;(

That is a scary thought, losing your luggage, but I like your recommendation. Of course, lost luggage means more reasons to shop! thanks for all the help. I am going to stick with these flights. Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem

That is a scary thought, losing your luggage, but I like your recommendation. Of course, lost luggage means more reasons to shop! thanks for all the help. I am going to stick with these flights. Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem

Should be fine, if you want a bit more reassurance post the flight numbers and we can make sure you are not on a codeshare with BA from Chicago for example as that would go to terminal 5 instead of 3.

Based on time I don't think you are but best to be certain :)

Sorry all not a chance would I accept less than 2 - 2 1/2 hrs at Heathrow. Flights arrive late, lines long and stuff happens!

I believe in planning for the worst (my carry on is packed as if my bags will never appear) and making sure I have a long connection! But that's just me :)

Edited by JVilleGal

I believe in planning for the worst (my carry on is packed as if my bags will never appear) and making sure I have a long connection! But that's just me :)

Ditto!!! I'd love to be able to pack everything into our carry-ons so we don't check anything, but I have yet to master that skill :).

I flew from Chicago to Barcelona two years ago with a layover in Heathrow...DISASTER! If memory serves, we had a two hour layover in Heathrow...plenty of time in my mind! We arrived on time, but then the plane was on the tarmac for awhile before shuttles were sent to transport us to the terminal. From there, we encountered the rudest security personnel on the planet. There were masses of people who were pulled aside for multiple reasons...most pleading with the agents to please expedite so they could make their connections. Three of the five people in my group were among them. Needless to say, we did not make the connection and spent a frustrating six hours in Heathrow waiting for the next flight. The British Airlines rep who helped us find another flight told us the bulk of their day is spent re-booking people who miss connections because of security hold-ups.

My previous experience with Heathrow was great, but that was flying into & out of the airport...never had to connect before...and fortunately did not connect in Heathrow after the cruise.

Good luck!

Ditto!!! I'd love to be able to pack everything into our carry-ons so we don't check anything, but I have yet to master that skill :).

Sadly, I too failed to master that skill :( But as long as I plan for the worst that could happen, I have never had a problem. Sure as I don't do that planning my bags will fall into some deep deep hole!

Seems the Rain Dancers have really been working hard for the last couple months! Safe journey to all :)

Sorry all not a chance would I accept less than 2 - 2 1/2 hrs at Heathrow. Flights arrive late, lines long and stuff happens!

I agree completely on both of these points. I learned a long time ago to pack at least one change of clothes in my carry-on, along with anything else of critical importance if I never saw my checked bag(s) again.

And as far as Heathrow, that's one of a few airports I do my best to avoid. On a recent trip, my flight from Bangkok was on time but we sat on the runway for an hour waiting for a gate. Between that and the interminable lines for security I missed my connection although there "should" have been plenty of time.

?..And as far as Heathrow, that's one of a few airports I do my best to avoid. On a recent trip, my flight from Bangkok was on time but we sat on the runway for an hour waiting for a gate. Between that and the interminable lines for security I missed my connection although there "should" have been plenty of time.
Once going IAD-LHR-ATH we had plenty of connection time, but LHR was only posting departure gates 15 minutes prior to close, with a permanent sign on the Departures board that it might take yo 20 minutes to get to tour gate!! I finally went to Customer Service and they knew the scheduled gate even though it was not posted. When I asked why they were not posted all I got was a shrug. Out of frustration I shared with them that I had flown to/through some pretty miserible is airports such as Moscow, Dehli, Bombay, Brazzaville and dirt strps in Central America and IMO they all were better than LHR.

Thom

Yet some how, every day, thousands of passengers connect at Heathrow, make their flights on time and their bags safely find their way to the destination :)

I probably fly through Heathrow more than any of you as I'm doing at least one trans-Atlantic return flight every month and have done so for the last 8 years.

Before that I was flying mostly European flights through Heathrow at the rate of at least 6-8 a month for the previous 10 years.

You will find similar stories to those listed above for pretty much any major airport, I've had similar delays and frustrations at JFK, ORD, LAX etc.

Some days bad stuff happens and if it makes you more comfortable to plan as though it always happens, then that is exactly what you should do for your own sanity.

Personally I'd be comfortable with 90 mins on a connection that flys into and out of T3.

Mark_T , I'm sure they do, but it's only when I don't plan and it's extremely important that I make a particular connection that things go wrong.... Nothing wrong with planning ahead and giving yourself room to breath and everyone else around you to screw things up!

Edited by JVilleGal

Similar to all the above, but we're also going thru LHR on the way home. We leave PRG at 2:45p (BA859) arrive at LHR 3:55, but don't continue until the next day BA295 leaving at 1140A. My question is, do we have to claim our large bags, bring to the hotel over night and recheck the next day? Or is there a holding place? How much time will we need in the morning. We are flying Business on BA and were hoping for breakfast in their lounge. Thanks in advance.

Well using my miles right now the 90 minute connection at Heathrow is the best there is. My trip isn't until next year so I will take it for now and continue to look for a connection with more time just in case. I am using miles to go first class, so at least I should be in front of the line coming off the plane. I really do appreciate all the advice. I will definitely back some clothes in carryon just in case.

Similar to all the above, but we're also going thru LHR on the way home. We leave PRG at 2:45p (BA859) arrive at LHR 3:55, but don't continue until the next day BA295 leaving at 1140A. My question is, do we have to claim our large bags, bring to the hotel over night and recheck the next day? Or is there a holding place?

Been a while since I've done this but where AA for example limit checking through bags on connecting flights to 12 hours, I'm pretty sure BA still have a 24 hour limit so you should be OK to check them to your destination.

However personally I wouldn't do that. I'd have them checked to LHR and collect them there, I'm not happy leaving bags to get lost for that length of time at any airport anywhere :)

You could claim them and leave them at the left luggage facility if you don't want to take them to the hotel. However, if it is one of the airport hotels the shuttles make taking the bags with you pretty easy.

How much time will we need in the morning. We are flying Business on BA and were hoping for breakfast in their lounge. Thanks in advance.

If you are going to claim and recheck the bags I'd aim to get to the airport at around 9:00am and that should give you time to check the bags then head to the BA Club lounge for breakfast. Aim a bit earlier if you want more time in the lounge or to shop.

Don't set your expectations too high though, this is not a full English breakfast service, it will be bacon rolls etc. a good description can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20688321-post1.html

Edited by Mark_T