Dress code on Ruby

ametrinel

I've read so many threads on this subject that it makes my head spin, so I know there has been tons of discussion. I'm knew to Princess, however, and have only sailed lines with a more relaxed dress code. Here's my summary of what I've gathered from posts:

Non-formal nights- For men, pants and an open collar shirt are expected. I take that to mean nice pants of some type and either a polo-style or button up shirt.

Formal nights- For men, it seems most wear dress slacks, dress shirt, tie and jacket of some type. Some report going without tie, and some without jacket.

Fair assessment?

Just looking for some clarity as I'll have to make some packing decisions soon. :) Like I said, new to Princess, and didn't have to worry about ties and/or jackets on prior cruises.

Hi Ametrinel, I just got off the Ruby ship. My advise is to just pack lite. You can just pack a nice dress for dressy night that can be used for both nights.

It is now up to people to decide how you want to dress on the Ruby. Just dress in simple clothes and you will be allowed into the restaurant.

I looked at the old senior men and some were dressed in kaki pants and a simple shirt with no tie or jacket. Some women like to dress as they please.

I do the same and I would get real angry if anybody rejected me for just wearing a simple outfit for formal night. I don't wear formal gowns or dresses.

I just dress in simple clothes for formal night. I even go to the Captain's party dressed in a simple outfit. I am an elite VIP member who has cruised 43 times on the Ruby.

The Ruby is going to be refurbished on the first week of December and it is going to look and feel like a brand new ship. Have lots of fun.

My advise is to pack lite and pack layers of clothes as the weather can change in Alaska from cold to hot. The Ruby can be air-conditioned in some areas or kept warm in some areas. Have a blast!

Non-formal nights- For men, pants and an open collar shirt are expected. I take that to mean nice pants of some type and either a polo-style or button up shirt.

Formal nights- For men, it seems most wear dress slacks, dress shirt, tie and jacket of some type. Some report going without tie, and some without jacket.

Fair assessment?

Just looking for some clarity as I'll have to make some packing decisions soon. :) Like I said, new to Princess, and didn't have to worry about ties and/or jackets on prior cruises.

Google some images of Princess cruises formal night.

Here is a picture outside a dining room on a formal evening in Alaska on a Princess ship.

980911680912WaitingtoenterProvenceDRonformalnightDSC01219_zpsa899c03a.jpg

Coral Princess in May to Alaska saw many versions from business casual to tuxedos and long gowns. No one was denied the MDR but no jeans or casual wear seen there. Most men were in suits some with some without ties and ladies nicely dressed with jewlery wraps and heels. Think staff party or wedding attire

How formal do people dress on formal nights (headed for Alaska in 2016)? I know what Princess recommends, but on other cruise lines they recommend tuxes, gowns, etc., but people don't really wear that. Just trying to figure out what to pack. Thanks!

Alaska is our final frontier and people in AK dress for the out of doors. The pax on the AK cruises seem to dress in a similar fashion which means informal somewhat. You will see less tux or even suits on men. Since it can be cold even in the summer, wear layers of clothing that can be removed or added as needed. Minimum on men is a pair of pants (dockers will do), long sleeved button up shirt and shoes. I added a nice sweater over the shirt which was welcome since the ship to me seemed to be cold but then I live in the US southwest.

Hi Ametrinel, I just got off the Ruby ship. My advise is to just pack lite. You can just pack a nice dress for dressy night that can be used for both nights.

It is now up to people to decide how you want to dress on the Ruby. Just dress in simple clothes and you will be allowed into the restaurant.

I looked at the old senior men and some were dressed in kaki pants and a simple shirt with no tie or jacket. Some women like to dress as they please.

I do the same and I would get real angry if anybody rejected me for just wearing a simple outfit for formal night. I don't wear formal gowns or dresses.

I just dress in simple clothes for formal night. I even go to the Captain's party dressed in a simple outfit. I am an elite VIP member who has cruised 43 times on the Ruby.

The Ruby is going to be refurbished on the first week of December and it is going to look and feel like a brand new ship. Have lots of fun.

My advise is to pack lite and pack layers of clothes as the weather can change in Alaska from cold to hot. The Ruby can be air-conditioned in some areas or kept warm in some areas. Have a blast!

These are our observations as well.

Alaska is our final frontier and people in AK dress for the out of doors..

Well, at least when we're outdoors we do...indoors, professionals dress professionally (suits, ties, the whole works).

Off course, off hours tend to be as casual as anyplace else...

• 1 month later...
Well, at least when we're outdoors we do...indoors, professionals dress professionally (suits, ties, the whole works).

Off course, off hours tend to be as casual as anyplace else...

Of course some professionals dress differently fom others. Some professionals wear very little when they work.

What on earth are dress slacks? Slacks are slacks, there's nothing at all "dress" about them. Wear them with a tuxedo jacket perhaps?

Criticize me if you want but I'm not even packing my suit jacket on my next cruise (in a week) our 22 yr old son doesn't currently own a suit jacket or sport jacket we will how ever wear dress pants shirt and tie on the formal nights along with my wife and daughter who will dress appropriately for the eventing. When the airlines are charging for baggage and we are all taking one car to airport the extra clothing just isn't going this time. Now if this was a 10 itinerary I would pack the suit jacket and we would embrace the formal nights but with only 3 port days and one of those being princess cays I'm packing for plenty of beach and sun days as we are celebrating two college

graduations.

my two cents

Edited by BuzzF117

I will be heading to Alaska in May 2016, and I will be wearing a tux for formal nights. I enjoy them and as a working class stiff, I don't have very many chances to dress in suits let alone a tux. Besides, I want to look good for my beautiful wife and my mother who will be joining us. :cool:

• 7 years later...

I just returned from a 10-day Alaska Cruise on the Ruby Princess.  If you think they won’t allow men into the dining rooms wearing shorts, you are dead wrong.  We saw a number of men arrive for dinner in shorts and no one said a word.  From what we could tell, pretty much anything goes on this ship.  I’ve cruised a few times before, pre-COVID, and things were much better organized, service was better, food better, etc.  I will never cruise on Princess again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, dianejung said:

I just returned from a 10-day Alaska Cruise on the Ruby Princess.  If you think they won’t allow men into the dining rooms wearing shorts, you are dead wrong.  We saw a number of men arrive for dinner in shorts and no one said a word.  From what we could tell, pretty much anything goes on this ship.  I’ve cruised a few times before, pre-COVID, and things were much better organized, service was better, food better, etc.  I will never cruise on Princess again.

As you can see, many things have changed in recent years, including dress codes.

I seriously doubt that dressing has affected service or quality of the food as much as the cost of doing business.

Enjoy you future sailings. 

• Like 1

Just now, PMGS247 said:

Is a wetsuit and a hard hat now required after the bumpy parking job yesterday? 

I heard that passengers are being asked to carry around their life vests.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, dianejung said:

We saw a number of men arrive for dinner in shorts and no one said a word.  From what we could tell, pretty much anything goes on this ship. 

On HAL, the bouncer will discreetly tell guests attempting to wear shorts to change. On Princess, it's anything goes (at least on my last two trips recently).

2 hours ago, Mike07 said:

On HAL, the bouncer will discreetly tell guests attempting to wear shorts to change. On Princess, it's anything goes (at least on my last two trips recently).

A bouncer?  LOL 😄

• Haha 1

I forgot Princess does Formal.  Most other cruise lines are fine with smart casual in the MDR now. 

Is it just the MDR or specialty as well on formal nights? 

Just curious where I'll be allowed to eat without a suit jacket 🙂 

Doing a Christmas cruise, I'll be really annoyed if I have to eat in the buffet on Christmas Day because they made it formal!