MTD and solo travellers

I usually travel solo and have done traditional dining late seating so you can meet people at your table. Lately I've found that the people at the table either show up for a couple of nights or don't show up at all.

I was wondering with MTD is it possible to request a large table so you can interact with other people or will they see a solo traveller and seat the solo traveller at a small table by themselves?

I sailed solo before and was put at a large table so I had companions every night. I've never seen or heard of solos being put at a table by themselves unless they requested it. I have also heard that on occasions if there are a lot of solo travellers they may be put together. Don't forget to say request the type of people you want to be put with, age band and language.

We just got of Majesty yesterday, and we had MTD, table for 2. Our table was very close to a table for 4, and we all had the same tables/times all four nights. The six of us chatted every evening and got on very nicely. On the other side of us was another table for 2. The first three nights, the diners preferred to keep to themselves, which we respected. On the last night, a lovely woman, traveling solo, was seated there, and we started chatting, and she was quickly integrated into "our group." She said she wished she had found us earlier in the cruise, as she would have enjoyed being with all of us each evening at dinner.

My point is if you are traveling solo and choose MTD, do not feel obligated to stay at a table you are not happy with. Speak up and ask for a change.

We just got of Majesty yesterday, and we had MTD, table for 2. Our table was very close to a table for 4, and we all had the same tables/times all four nights. The six of us chatted every evening and got on very nicely. On the other side of us was another table for 2. The first three nights, the diners preferred to keep to themselves, which we respected. On the last night, a lovely woman, traveling solo, was seated there, and we started chatting, and she was quickly integrated into "our group." She said she wished she had found us earlier in the cruise, as she would have enjoyed being with all of us each evening at dinner.

My point is if you are traveling solo and choose MTD, do not feel obligated to stay at a table you are not happy with. Speak up and ask for a change.

I have been on 20 something odd cruises. When I first started cruising, I went with a friend. Then I started cruising solo. Every now and again, I would travel with a friend. The majority of my cruises have been solo. Now, up until this past cruise, I have always asked for a large table so I could meet people. But I have grown tired of sitting at a table with couples and being the only "single" (I'm not married, nor do I have a significant other) solo traveler. I asked my TA to request a table for 1 (which, of course, it's actually a table for 2). Every night I ate in the dining room at my table for one and still had a great time - by myself. I met people at other venues, and enjoyed the time I spent chatting it up with them. When I travel on Anthem next year, I will request a table for 1 again. I liked it that much. I've never done MTD so I don't know if I would like it or not. But I do like having the same waitstaff every night and they made my "solo" dining anything but. So, no matter what you do, enjoy yourself and as the author of this post said "speak up if you're not happy". I'm sure if they seat you with a large group you will find that you have something in common with at least 2 of them. Enjoy your cruise and happy sailing to you all:D

I have done MTD on my last 2 cruises and requested a table for 2 so I dined by myself which I liked. the tables are close enough so you do end up chatting with who ever is around you if you like or you can just enjoy your meal and go. And like Sheila said the wait staff makes it an enjoyable experience. My 1st solo cruise I was put at a large group table and most of my seat mates where much older than me or much younger, plus I had wanted late seating and I was given early so i changes tables but it was hard to find people that I had clicked with. I can be a bit shy and it was my 1st solo so I was still a little wet behind the ears. I am trying out the main dining room again on my up coming solo crossing my fingers that it goes well otherwise its back to MTD for me.

I usually travel solo and have done traditional dining late seating so you can meet people at your table. Lately I've found that the people at the table either show up for a couple of nights or don't show up at all.

I was wondering with MTD is it possible to request a large table so you can interact with other people or will they see a solo traveller and seat the solo traveller at a small table by themselves?

Yes, you can request a large table when you make your original booking. If you don't get what you want, ask to be moved.

On our TA, we were at a table for 8 but with only one other couple. The second night the maitre de asked if we would allow another couple to join us. Of course! The couple who joined us were at a table for 6-8 but with nobody else actually sitting with them, and so they asked for the switch. The six of us got along famously, and it meant that if one couple did a specialty restaurant one night, the table was left still with four people.

There too many options to eat so a lot of people eat at other venues.

I will be on my first solo cruise next week. I requested a large table for 8-10 people with other solo cruisers or people around my age.

No such luck. There happens to be a large group on my sailing that will be using all of the large tables at both seatings.

They gave me MTD at 6:00 p.m. everyday. I'm not as comfortable with that idea as I would have been with the large tables.

I sailed solo before and was put at a large table so I had companions every night. I've never seen or heard of solos being put at a table by themselves unless they requested it. I have also heard that on occasions if there are a lot of solo travellers they may be put together. Don't forget to say request the type of people you want to be put with, age band and language.

I travel solo, always use MTD and always ask for a large table. On my last cruise (on the Anthem) I ended up eating on a table for two, four times. I'm not sure if it was because there were 850+ people in a group that seemed to reserve large tables or just a by-product of dynamic dining (3 of the times were in Silk).

I will be on my first solo cruise next week. I requested a large table for 8-10 people with other solo cruisers or people around my age.

No such luck. There happens to be a large group on my sailing that will be using all of the large tables at both seatings.

They gave me MTD at 6:00 p.m. everyday. I'm not as comfortable with that idea as I would have been with the large tables.

Why do you have a 6pm slot, the whole point of MTD is that you just turn up when you're ready. In 60 odd nights of MTD I've only had to wait more than a few minutes twice and that was on the Oasis, first night and last night.

Why do you have a 6pm slot, the whole point of MTD is that you just turn up when you're ready. In 60 odd nights of MTD I've only had to wait more than a few minutes twice and that was on the Oasis, first night and last night.

I guess they thought it would be a good idea because I had originally asked for the 6 p.m. seating for regular dining.

Since I have MTD, I will go whenever I am ready and ask for a large table as suggested.

Thanks for the info.