What do you guys think of my "gameplan"? Jade cruising

afromann13

Hi,

In February I'm leaving out of NYC to Texas to get on the jade for a seven day cruise.

After months of analyzing, i have decided that there's nothing in Texas that i would like to do and i would rather go to New Orleans instead.

I want to go to New Orleans two days prior to embarkation and enjoy my time there and then leave to Texas on embarkation day and from there go straight to the port.

Does anyone see a problem with this picture? or anything i should worry about? I haven been really stressed because i haven't been able to plan the perfect trip but this seems like it would be good enough.

That's about a 350 mile drive. Not something I'd do day of embarkation. One mishap and you could miss the ship. I'd rather leave the afternoon before and spend the night before near the port.

Since the poster is originally coming from New York, I'm guessing that the poster would be flying.

My only issue flying in the same day, is that it is February and bad weather in other airports could cause delays.

Hi,

In February I'm leaving out of NYC to Texas to get on the jade for a seven day cruise.

After months of analyzing, i have decided that there's nothing in Texas that i would like to do and i would rather go to New Orleans instead.

I want to go to New Orleans two days prior to embarkation and enjoy my time there and then leave to Texas on embarkation day and from there go straight to the port.

Does anyone see a problem with this picture? or anything i should worry about? I haven been really stressed because i haven't been able to plan the perfect trip but this seems like it would be good enough.

How are you getting to Houston? If you are planning to fly, morning fog could be an issue on either end of your trip. I would much rather plan to spend the night before in Houston so I didn't miss the cruise....but that's just me. Some people do arrive the day of a cruise out of necessity. Most of those have no problem. Others have had to cruise without luggage or missed the cruise entirely. Why not take the cruise out of New Orleans?...

The Dawn out of New Orleans and The Jade out of Galveston do the same itinerary. The Port of New Orleans is just a few blocks from downtown New Orleans and The French Quarter.

I would opt for The Dawn and New Orleans. I have done this cruise 4 times now and would love to do it again.

The Dawn out of New Orleans and The Jade out of Galveston do the same itinerary. The Port of New Orleans is just a few blocks from downtown New Orleans and The French Quarter.

I would opt for The Dawn and New Orleans. I have done this cruise 4 times now and would love to do it again.

I was thinking of flying to Houston from NO.

I was also thinking of going on the Dawn instead of the Jade but based on all the research that I have done a lot more people like the Jade more than they liked the dawn. Ah, the stress continues!!

Maybe I should just go with the Dawn..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It is true that the Jade has a couple of things the Dawn does not, however, the itinerary is the same and you may not even care about the Great Outdoors and observation lounge because you are going to be at the pool during the day and dancing all night..... You don't have to pay those extra Houston bar taxes we have all heard about if you are on the Dawn. I had one of my best cruises ever on the Dawn and would certainly choose her again without hesitation. If NOLA is important to you, then sail the Dawn with extra time in NOLA, and have a stress free trip. You can roll out of bed in the morning in NOLA walk or taxi over to the port, and be on the ship for lunch. What could be better?

Edited by drvalo

Go where you like pre-cruise but you can fly into Houston from New Orleans as easily as from New York or most anywhere else in the USA.

Houston has two airports, IAH and HOU. HOU (Hobby) is much closer to the Bayport terminal where NCL Jade sails. From New Orleans you can fly Southwest into Hobby. other airlines as far as I know fly into IAH.

Mardi Gras 2016 is February 9th. Mardi Gras is an experience but accommodations will be hard to find and expensive. The rest of the month should offer some good deals with small crowds.

NO.

Jade sails out of Houston, do not make that mistake !

http://www.portofhouston.com/cruise-information/

After this season NCL & Princess will be gone and we'll lose the Houston option:mad::mad:

Edited by pspercy

The Itinerary for the Dawn and the Jade are different. The Dawn visits Costa Maya, MX while the Jade has an extra sea day instead of stopping at Costa Maya.

Both ships are beautiful with wonderful crews so pick the cruise and the ship that you want. As a previous poster mentioned don’t forget about Mardi Gras in N.O. The city is filled with tourists that time of year. Other than that I see no issues with your plan.

Here's a link to some pics I posted that I took on the Dawn. We had a hull (enclosed) balcony on that cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2195424

My wife and I are sailing on the Jade in January.

So I guess I will forget about NO for now. The prices to go to New Orleans are really high during those two weeks because of that festival. I'll just spend a day in Houston before the ship leaves and then try to take a flight out of Houston back to NYC at 11 or 12 on disembarkation day. I don't want to go crazy either, I'll do New Orleans at a different date.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'd just stay in Houston. It's a great city with a lot to do, especially since you'll be in the city as opposed to Galveston. I lived in the area for years and would take Houston over New Orleans any day.

If you're staying inside the loop, then go to the Galleria or one of the many museums in the city. Down south past Hobby airport is the Johnson Space Center. There's something for everyone there.

Houston port is a PITA to get to. There are no hotels in close proximity to the port and no suitable public transport. In Nawlins you can literally walk to the port from the French Quarter. The only complication is Mardi Gras. Hotels are really expensive and it is Mardi Gras, which can be fun but also too much party for some people.

I am biased because I lived in NOLA and I love it. I have to disagree that you can even compare it to Houston, because you can't. New Orleans is magical. Houston may be a fine city, but NOLA is in a category of its own.

Houston port is a PITA to get to. There are no hotels in close proximity to the port and no suitable public transport. In Nawlins you can literally walk to the port from the French Quarter. The only complication is Mardi Gras. Hotels are really expensive and it is Mardi Gras, which can be fun but also too much party for some people.

I am biased because I lived in NOLA and I love it. I have to disagree that you can even compare it to Houston, because you can't. New Orleans is magical. Houston may be a fine city, but NOLA is in a category of its own.

Not true. There is a Best Western right by the port that has a free shuttle to the port.

I've never been to New Orleans, so can't comment on that part, but there are plenty of things to do in Houston for a day or two: space center, museums, Kemah boardwalk, various parks & historical monuments, etc.

Not true. There is a Best Western right by the port that has a free shuttle to the port.

I've never been to New Orleans, so can't comment on that part, but there are plenty of things to do in Houston for a day or two: space center, museums, Kemah boardwalk, various parks & historical monuments, etc.

Might no longer be true. I called them last week and they quoted over $100.00 to leave car there for the week, no mention of shuttle.

Website now says "Outdoor parking, cruise park charges apply"

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/TX/Seabrook-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-PLUS-Seabrook-Suites/Hotel-Overview.do?propertyCode=44699&group=false&srcPage=SelectHotel&isMapOpen=false&selectedHotels=

Lots to do in Houston - and Galveston too.

Might no longer be true. I called them last week and they quoted over $100.00 to leave car there for the week, no mention of shuttle.

Website now says "Outdoor parking, cruise park charges apply"

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/TX/Seabrook-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-PLUS-Seabrook-Suites/Hotel-Overview.do?propertyCode=44699&group=false&srcPage=SelectHotel&isMapOpen=false&selectedHotels=

Lots to do in Houston - and Galveston too.

I'm just going by what is on their website, but it still definitely lists a complimentary 24/7 shuttle to the Bayport cruise terminal and anywhere else within 5 miles.

http://bwseabrooksuites.com

I'm just going by what is on their website, but it still definitely lists a complimentary 24/7 shuttle to the Bayport cruise terminal and anywhere else within 5 miles.

http://bwseabrooksuites.com

Yes indeed, hadn't seen that dedicated site - and the cruise parking is covered under the Park & Cruise package:

http://bwseabrooksuites.com/special/park-cruise-package/

So it's a few dollars more, think they gave me bum info:(

How are you getting to Houston? If you are planning to fly, morning fog could be an issue on either end of your trip. I would much rather plan to spend the night before in Houston so I didn't miss the cruise....but that's just me. Some people do arrive the day of a cruise out of necessity. Most of those have no problem. Others have had to cruise without luggage or missed the cruise entirely. Why not take the cruise out of New Orleans?...

Southwest flyers MSY-HOU like clockwork on a commuter schedule cheap