First Cruise - Honeymoon - Which Ship?

Hey,

We have decided a week's long cruise after our Disney holiday, with MIL taking the kids home, as the idea for our honeymoon.

We have never been on a cruise before, we are 30 and 29. I have done a fair bit of research and think I have got it down to a choice between a balcony room on either Freedom of the Seas or Allure of the Seas.

Can anyone help decide between the two?

Also when would you advise to book? Is the offer on RCI website of get the second passenger half price as good as it will get?

Thanks

Elliot

If the prices are comparable go for the Allure.

As to when to book....book now, if the price goes down before final payment you can call and Royal will adjust the price. By waiting to book you run the risk that the price will go up.

Edit...Sorry just noticed that you were from the UK. Different booking rules. Book at a price that you feel comfortable with and then don't check anymore or book with a US TA.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

If the prices are comparable go for the Allure.

As to when to book....book now, if the price goes down before final payment you can call and Royal will adjust the price. By waiting to book you run the risk that the price will go up.

Thanks for the response, can you elaborate on why Allure, im intrigued as they appear very similar?

The price match would only apply if booking direct with RCI? Is this advisable?

Thanks

Thanks for the response, can you elaborate on why Allure, im intrigued as they appear very similar?

The price match would only apply if booking direct with RCI? Is this advisable?

Thanks

Allure and Freedom are nothing alike. Allure is really a class unto itself. Google. Some you tube videos to be able to see the ships as opposed to looking at deck plans or reading descriptions.

In the US and Canada we can get price drops at any time up to final payment either by booking direct with Royal or through a TA. Most TA's will do the price drops without a charge.

The price match guarantee really only applies for us if we book after final payment.

We went on Allure for our honeymoon (so I'm kind of partial) and we are going back for our 2nd and 3rd cruises on Allure this Sunday (for back to back cruises). We sailed on Freedom in 2013. Freedom was nice, but it was hard to go from cruising on Allure to Freedom. We found that there is a lot more to do on Allure. We got bored on Freedom. It is a lot smaller so it felt like we were on top of other people some times (like on the pool deck). With that being said, if you think you will spend more time on the ship, I would go on Allure. If you think that you cruise for the destinations and won't spend much time on the ship, go for Freedom to save you the money.

Hands down, the Allure. The two ships are not similar at all. The Allure is a mega ship....many, many eateries, shows, entertainment, pools, bars....etc.

May I ask when the honeymoon is?

Really helpful, thanks! We get married on 1st September 2016 so looking to honeymoon on 4th September for a week, ideally.

We went on Allure for our honeymoon (so I'm kind of partial) and we are going back for our 2nd and 3rd cruises on Allure this Sunday (for back to back cruises). We sailed on Freedom in 2013. Freedom was nice, but it was hard to go from cruising on Allure to Freedom. We found that there is a lot more to do on Allure. We got bored on Freedom. It is a lot smaller so it felt like we were on top of other people some times (like on the pool deck). With that being said, if you think you will spend more time on the ship, I would go on Allure. If you think that you cruise for the destinations and won't spend much time on the ship, go for Freedom to save you the money.

We were talking about this last night, although we will obviously get off, I can't see us doing any / many excursions. I am swaying towards the Allure!!

Really helpful, thanks! We get married on 1st September 2016 so looking to honeymoon on 4th September for a week, ideally.

Ahhhhh....our FAVORITE time of the year to cruise. All the kids back in school. Lol

Truly, if it is affordable, the Alllure and Oasis are the best ships on the water .....soooo much to do and amazing.

Are you looking at the Eastern or Western Caribbean?

We were talking about this last night, although we will obviously get off, I can't see us doing any / many excursions. I am swaying towards the Allure!!

You don't have to do excursions. We never do. We always find a beach with a bar and eatery or walk around town visiting all the shops.

If you let us know which itinerary you are looking at, we can all tell you where to go for practically no $$$$ :)

Ahhhhh....our FAVORITE time of the year to cruise. All the kids back in school. Lol

Truly, if it is affordable, the Alllure and Oasis are the best ships on the water .....soooo much to do and amazing.

Are you looking at the Eastern or Western Caribbean?

Mother-in law has agreed (not sure why!!) to take the kids home / back to school whilst we get a week on our own!!

We aren't really fussed about where we go? Should we be?

This is the one I am tempted with at the moment:

Allure of the Seas - 4th Sept

Category: D8

Cabin Type: Family Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony

Places: Bahamas, St Thomas, St Kitts

Edited by ElliotReevey

Wow...we had D8, cabin 6676 and it was PERFECT. You are on the Boardwalk deck and have access to sooooo many things. It was wonderful.

No, it does not matter which itinerary you choose. Everyone has their preferences as to which they like better. I like them both for different reasons. When you DO decide, come back and ask questions about what you can do in each port. We will all have great advice for you. :)

OMG...you are going to LOVE this ship.

Wow...we had D8, cabin 6676 and it was PERFECT. You are on the Boardwalk deck and have access to sooooo many things. It was wonderful.

No, it does not matter which itinerary you choose. Everyone has their preferences as to which they like better. I like them both for different reasons. When you DO decide, come back and ask questions about what you can do in each port. We will all have great advice for you. :)

OMG...you are going to LOVE this ship.

Thats amazing, thank you. Can I ask who you book your cruises with? My quote is with vacations 2 go.

Thanks

Edited by ElliotReevey

Thats amazing, thank you. Can I ask who you book your cruises with? My quote is with vacations 2 go.

Thanks

Everyone has different opinions on this.....3rd party website, a Travel Agent, or directly through the cruise line.

I like being in control, so I book all of my cruises on line, directly with the cruise line itself....this way, if I want to make any changes, all I have to do is call them. If you book with a 3rd party website or a travel agent, you cannot do this. They have to take care of any problems, changes or answer any questions you may have.

Both are great, but I would pick Allure of course. Been on it twice. Best cruises ever.

Much bigger than freedom without feeling overcrowded.

More amenities and things to do.

Biggest, baddest ship in the world.

The entertainment on Allure looks amazing from full Broadway show Mamma Mia to the Aqua shows. You'll also have neighborhoods such as Central Park, Boardwalk. But it depends if you like a mega ship as it's not for everybody.

Congrats on your upcoming marriage. You'll have a great time whatever you decide.

Hey,

We have decided a week's long cruise after our Disney holiday, with MIL taking the kids home, as the idea for our honeymoon.

We have never been on a cruise before, we are 30 and 29. I have done a fair bit of research and think I have got it down to a choice between a balcony room on either Freedom of the Seas or Allure of the Seas.

Can anyone help decide between the two?

Also when would you advise to book? Is the offer on RCI website of get the second passenger half price as good as it will get?

Thanks

Elliot

This is one of those questions with no wrong answers. 2 first time cruisers I might be tempted to recommend choosing by intinerary. I did see someone recommend Allure of the Seas and I love that ship. Some might try to steer newleyweds away from ships with a lot of family friendly features like Allure, but IMO, the ship is big enough that there is something for everyone and enough adult only things to do that I enjoyed myself.

With that being said, if you think you will spend more time on the ship, I would go on Allure. If you think that you cruise for the destinations and won't spend much time on the ship, go for Freedom to save you the money.

We sailed on Freedom in April. As Freedom was a step-up in ship's class from our previous cruises, we did not feel crowded at all. We found that there was plenty to do on the Freedom. Yes, it's certainly not the Allure in terms of lots and lots of choices all the time. However, for a first cruise, I don't think the Freedom would be a bad ship at all. Plus, if you were considering doing Disney or anything like that in Central Florida, you are pretty much "right there."

Now, as to the savings- if the pricing is similar- you will just have to pick which one you think you may enjoy. I have discovered that sometimes the Freedom is not all that much cheaper. Especially since it is currently departing from Port Canaveral. I will readily admit I need to go back and review the original post on when you are cruising (can't recall seeing the date). Anyhow, if it is after fall 2016-both ships will depart from Port Everglades/Fort Lauderdale and you may very well see a price difference. If there is a significant price difference and Freedom is less expensive, I think it would still offer you a great experience.

As others have said, the Allure is pretty much its own destination. If you never got off the ship in any port, you would have plenty to do from what I understand. We are cruising on Oasis in March. Since this is your first cruise, there is PLENTY to do on Freedom. I don't think you would be that bored and feel like you are on top of others. For those with lots of cruise experience, and lots of time to cruise, it may be that it feels necessary to be on a larger ship to have "more fun." There are plenty on these boards who prefer smaller ships (certainly smaller than either Allure or Oasis).

go for Freedom to save you the money.

Granted, Freedom is no Allure. However, it's not really a "bargain basement" or "old" ship. We would love to cruise on Freedom again. It has been our favorite ship so far. Maybe everyone else disagrees with me. It wouldn't be the first time.

I just feel like maybe the OP might get the impression that the Freedom is some old relic with nothing to do. For a first time cruiser, I think she is a fine ship. Granted, I don't know if the OP will cruise again on a future occasion. Maybe it's a "one and done" deal. I suppose in that case, maybe the Allure is the way to go. You will see the "biggest and brightest" on the first trip. However, that may spoil you. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Harmony would be a nice choice too if it fits your schedule!

I've sailed both the Allure and the Independence. Both classes of ships are great. I like the Independence cabins much better than the Allure. Larger with more available storage. Allure has much more to see and do.

Harmony will have cabins similar to the Quantum class. Better usage of space.

Edited by tsconley19

We're doing harmony on June 12th for our honeymoon. Can't wait. It suits himself as there's loads of energetic activities, I love the idea of the shows and Ice skating and we both love the stops. We're finishing it off with a few extra days in Rome which means we don't have to get off the ship the day it docks in Rome - win/win!

Freedom is a lot closer to Walt Disney World. From the airport it is less than an hour to Port Canaveral.

Ft. Lauderdale and Allure will be a 3+ hour drive or an additional flight and cab.

Edited by Coralc

UPDATE

We caved and booked........Allure last night!!

There was a small price difference and there was the case of 3 hour drive to Fort Lauderdale but its our Honeymoon, we will only get one, and its only for a week! We also read that embarking at Port Canaveral can be a bit of a pain so there wasn't much in it.

Fingers crossed we made the right choice, we went for an Oceanview Balcony room.

Thanks for all the info and help with making the decision. Any Allure specific tips etc are appreciated!

Thanks

Edited by ElliotReevey