New Menus

PghCruiseGrrrl

2) the WHO has already backpedalled from the scare tactics in that latest release

3) the fact that the studies lump red meat and crap processed meat in together shows how the studies are flawed in the first place. It's mostly bad science and panic journalism.

Yes, I think most health professionals are dismissing that report and going with the "everything in moderation" line. Listening to a recent debate about the report, a point was made that in Italy, where there is a very high consumption of processed meats - prosciutto, pancetta, salami etc, - there is a lower incidence of bowel cancer than in Israel where pork is not eaten. I don't know how true that is, but it is certainly interesting. :)

I jumped in to share my experience on the Golden to find it's already been quoted!

The pork belly dish isn't cured pork. It's a fairly common ingredient in Australia. Twice cooked (i.e. slow braised, then under the grill for the crackling) is lovely and works well with Asian flavours.

The Curtis Stone version was more traditional, served with some apple and potato.

My son complained that his chicken and leek pie had gristly meat, but he's a fusspot so I wouldn't take his review too seriously!

I'm sailing on the Diamond on Friday and I'm hoping to see the new Curtis Stone dishes. If the pork belly is there I'll definitely be trying it, so I hope the chefs on the Diamond have learnt how to get the crackling right! :)

I believe the Beverly Hillbillies liked pork belly, along with possum. Let's see what Curtis Stone would do with that.

Yes, quite right. Ol' Jed Clampett loved possum!

I have heard that back in the day, it was quite a shock to go to dinner in the old rural South, and be served possum. I have heard that it had an oily or greasy texture.

And, let's remember... 'Ol Jed Clampett discovered oil while he was out shootin' at some food:) ...next thing ya know Ol' Jed's a millionaire...

I'm curing 5.5 pound of pork belly in my fridge right now. In 5 more days, I'll smoke it for 4 hours and then have some of the best bacon in the world.

GROAN!!! That sounds sooooooooooo good! I'm at work and hungry. Bacon is one of my favorite fruits. :)

Food is so objective. My family had a 2nd home in VT for many years near Manchester. There was (maybe there still is) a locker where hunters (during season) could bring in their kill to have it dressed and prepared, often just selling it. My Mom would buy venison and make a stew that was similar to Beef Bourguinone. It was delicious.

I have to admit, I'm a little underwhelmed by the fancy schmancy :D Curtis Stone (will have to google him, no idea) offerings. Fifty percent of an items appeal is its presentation. The Chicken and leek pie (sounds pretty pedestrian to me) looks like a big dinner roll?

Pork belly, isn't that the most useless and fattiest part of the pig and why it becomes bacon?

Edited by MTJSR

The pork belly in the Curtis Stone entree is not cured and so it will not have the nitrates and nitrites found in bacon. Pork is included as a "red meat" along with beef and lamb in the new W.H.O. warnings.

If the World Health Organization :rolleyes:doesn't know that pork is "the other white meat", then their credibility is very much in question. That organization needs to move to Texas and be feed our beef, wild boar, and BBQ. Then they would be singing the praises of those meats.

Worrying about bacon it is more harmful to your health than eating it.

Hahaha! That is so true. People stress about the littlest things. This idea about processed meats being unhealthy has been around forever. Suddenly, now, it's a big surprise! :rolleyes:

Hahaha! That is so true. People stress about the littlest things. This idea about processed meats being unhealthy has been around forever. Suddenly, now, it's a big surprise! :rolleyes:

Have you noticed how unhappy looking many people are today? That supports there is a problem.

So, had the pork belly on the Diamond a few nights ago. I assumed it was the Curtis Stone one, but apparently it wasn't I was to learn later. Not good, no crackling and like has been said before, the skin was rubbery. Actual meat was ok though. However tonight the actual Curtis Stone dishes were in a separate section of the menu. Tried his pork belly and it was much better. Good crackling and melt in the mouth meat. Maybe these chefs are actually following the recipe!!

If the World Health Organization :rolleyes:doesn't know that pork is "the other white meat", then their credibility is very much in question. That organization needs to move to Texas and be feed our beef, wild boar, and BBQ. Then they would be singing the praises of those meats.

The other white meat was just a PR by the pork council of Iowa to sale more pig meat. It is a red meat. It is being bred so that it is not nearly as fat as it was at one time. They began to change it when nutritionist blamed high cholesterol on fatty sections of red meat. I had a pork chop at Texas Roadhouse the other day that had no fat at all on it. It was the driest peace of meat I have ever had. Because porcine is so vulnerable to disease you still have to cook it well.

I remember as a kid hating pork because the there was so much fat.

Hope there may be other choices, just to move conversation along...

the style of service, ambiance of the facility are also considerations ...the depictions so far show a fairly "cafeteria-ish" setting..although the concept is projected as a warm family and friends gathering spot...time will tell as reports come in

Hope there may be other choices, just to move conversation along...

the style of service, ambiance of the facility are also considerations ...the depictions so far show a fairly "cafeteria-ish" setting..although the concept is projected as a warm family and friends gathering spot...time will tell as reports come in

I think you are talking about Share, the planned Curtis Stone restaurant. This thread, and the menu choices discussed, are about new menu items in the MDR, created by Chef Stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you tell if any selections were removed from the menu in order to make room for the Stone items?

Gosh I'm not really sure! This is my first Princess cruise so I'm not an expert on the menu. I don't think so though. They are on the left hand side where the favourites are. Maybe some of those have gone but I wouldn't know for sure. Overall my thoughts are that the food is a bit up and down. Some lovely dishes and some that are very ordinary and bland.

Regards

Jan.

I think you are talking about Share, the planned Curtis Stone restaurant. This thread, and the menu choices discussed, are about new menu items in the MDR, created by Chef Stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for clarifying that! I was a bit baffled by the post! 😃