Royal Caribbean Orders 5th Quantum Class Ship

Personally I prefer ships of the size of the freedom class. I do however like the feature set of the oasis and the allure. I know many of the old school are upset that they are phasing out the builds of the smaller ships. But my question would be... Is any cruise line ( major cruise line) actually building 850' ships? or are they all trending towards the mega ships?

So ultimately, you can jump ship all you want... but I wonder, unless you go to silversea or crystal or a similiar very small and expenisive ship....

where will you go?

Personally I prefer ships of the size of the freedom class. I do however like the feature set of the oasis and the allure. I know many of the old school are upset that they are phasing out the builds of the smaller ships. But my question would be... Is any cruise line ( major cruise line) actually building 850' ships? or are they all trending towards the mega ships?

So ultimately, you can jump ship all you want... but I wonder, unless you go to silversea or crystal or a similiar very small and expenisive ship....

where will you go?

Celebrity is building somewhat of a "smaller" ship. Not sure of the exact details, but it's the Celebrity EDGE Class.

The Project EDGE ships are "smaller-ship itineraries with larger ship features" according to Celebrity.

They are:

• 2,900-guest, 117,000-gross-registered-ton ships
  • 984 feet long, 123 feet wide and 190 feet high
  • Larger than Millennium Class and slightly smaller than Solstice Class.

STX France is building the Oasis IV and the Edge I in 2018, and the Edge II is coming in 2020.

Very interesting IMO. Crossing my fingers that Royal follows suit.

Would love to see a Quantum class ship sail out of the UK. Would be great if RCCL could base a ship out of the UK all year round. Went on Anthem recently and this ship is perfect for the British climate.

Me too, I had a ball on the Anthem a few weeks ago. And my next cruise is on Ovation, so it will be interesting to see the tweaks made for China.

Already announced that Ovation other than her first 3 cruises is splitting her time between Asia and Australia.

The announcement was that Ovation will be based in China.

There are 4 cruises that she is doing in Australia as a visit. But until things change her base isn't in Au unfortunately.

Love this news! The Quantum class is Royal Caribbean's best design and one that really stands out among the rest in the industry. We'll have to see what they do with Harmony to see if she has the same wow, or just size. By the time that this new order sets sail the design will be 6 years old, that would be the second oldest design they've built a new ship of after the Oasis 4 build. This is a new trend for Royal Caribbean. They have historically delivered a record demolishing build every decade within 2 years of the decade, and often another lesser known class in the middle. I'm surprised we are not seeing another new mega build, but this should max them all out in 2020 leaving room for a new build in 2022.

With the Quantum Class as more of a philosophy than an actual design I could see them build some new 90,000-100,000 GRT ships. Build a ship without the SeaPlex, a Centrum that transforms even more than anything currently afloat. Maybe even Two70º or build that into the Centrum. I could see it happening.

Put the iFly in the Centrum. :cool:

I saw an ad for Siemens, they have maintenance ships for their offshore wind farms that have a moving walkway to allow them to get crews onto the windmills in rough seas. Something like that could solve the tendering issue.

I saw an ad for Siemens, they have maintenance ships for their offshore wind farms that have a moving walkway to allow them to get crews onto the windmills in rough seas. Something like that could solve the tendering issue.

This is already available e.g. in Geiranger.

The announcement was that Ovation will be based in China.

There are 4 cruises that she is doing in Australia as a visit. But until things change her base isn't in Au unfortunately.

When they made the announcement they said that Australia schedules there ships years in advance. The limited number of slots was all they could get on such short notice, but they signed a long term deal to gain more spots in the future seasons.

Put the iFly in the Centrum. :cool:

Now that would be exciting! They've already got aerialists, what could a little wind hurt.