Upcharges Added to Norwegian Cruise Line's Main Dining Menus

LauraS

So, three entrees on the menu. The prices seem high, as they are comparable to the old cover charges for specialty restaurants, but with an MDR experience. It would be nice if the endless trickle of added fees finally ceased. Given that FDR continues to suggest he is raising the quality of Norwegian to Oceania standards, the long list of added fees seems a bit crass. But he must know what he's doing, right?

I think this is a mistake for 2 reasons:

1.Too many changes that are all revenue driven in the last few months.People aren't stupid they know what is going on here.Phasing them in over a longer period would annoy fewer people or better still listen to your customers and maybe reverse some of the ones that have really annoyed people.

2.For a while at least you will have no idea how many people will opt for these extra cost items and you risk wasting higher cost foods.

It is possible to avoid a number of the extra charges,but the more you try to "sell" how good speciality restaurants are,the more you annoy people who can't afford them and make them think they are second class.

I was disappointed when I first read this and the other thread too, but after having looked at the menus that were attached, the items look of higher quality (like were available when I started cruising in 2003) than are offered now with a steak option included at no charge. I do not remember a time when NCL included a prime rib or high quality lobster at no charge, but I may be wrong.

Having to bring additional tables checks for their al a carte purchase may slow down service, but the menus look promising to me.

Just saw where Norwegian is starting to charge for Prime Rib less than 10 days before I leave on the 11/14/15 sailing from Miami on the Escape

I always loved Prime Rib and Lobster night fisrt they take away lobster and made it a pay for item now they have taken away Prime Rib and made it pay for item why are they taking away things that people cruise for next thing you know they will start charging for cabin cleaning

Come on Norwegian rethink some of your menu decisions

Will I pay for Prime Rib?

I don't think so

I think this is a mistake for 2 reasons:

1.Too many changes that are all revenue driven in the last few months.People aren't stupid they know what is going on here.Phasing them in over a longer period would annoy fewer people or better still listen to your customers and maybe reverse some of the ones that have really annoyed people.

2.For a while at least you will have no idea how many people will opt for these extra cost items and you risk wasting higher cost foods.

It is possible to avoid a number of the extra charges,but the more you try to "sell" how good speciality restaurants are,the more you annoy people who can't afford them and make them think they are second class.

wasting good food is a point, but remember all these foods are frozen and will not take the food and beverage manager long to figure out how much they need to defrost at once.

As far as gradually adding extra charges, I am on the fence on this one: Yes, it is a lot all at once, but believe me, if they add them slowly the next argument will be: for 2 years they have been making changes, why can't they just keep it one way? I remember when they cut back of the bubbly when coming on board, took out coffee makers in cabins below balc class and made a few other changes. The world was coming to an end and the line was doomed. WEll this wasn't the case. Freestyle dining was a disaster at first, we all knew it would never work: now every line is using it in some form. Auto tips orDSC whatever would ruin NCL, but did it? These changes eventually are forgotten. Do you think NCL is any different in added the extra charge than RCI or Carnival?

wasting good food is a point, but remember all these foods are frozen and will not take the food and beverage manager long to figure out how much they need to defrost at once.

?

Eew... Frozen Lobster. No thanks, that's one I don't have to worry about spending money on.

Eew... Frozen Lobster. No thanks, that's one I don't have to worry about spending money on.

That's why I'm not that hung up on lobster on cruise lines like NCL - feeding 2000-4000 people on any ships and what water tanks to hold those things so they alive when tossed in pots or cut & broil, for 2 nights on a 7 day cruise?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

That's why I'm not that hung up on lobster on cruise lines like NCL - feeding 2000-4000 people on any ships and what water tanks to hold those things so they alive when tossed in pots or cut & broil, for 2 nights on a 7 day cruise?

Well if no one buys it I bet we end up with Lobster Bisque and Lobster Surprise on the Buffet on the 6 day. [emoji2]

Well if no one buys it I bet we end up with Lobster Bisque and Lobster Surprise on the Buffet on the 6 day. [emoji2]

I thought that's what the lobster / seafood pasta in the buffet was...

Edited by maywell

And if it happens cruise after cruise, I would bet that they would remove it from the upcharge menu. If folks don't want the upcharge items to work, don't order them, because if enough folks order them, NCL will think they made the right decision.

Maybe I am in the minority but I just don't see it as a big deal. It allows people who are cruising in groups to enjoy the MDR experience for Free and those cruising with them who may want a little something more towards a specialty restaurant to all dine together.

If you don't want to pay, don't order it. NCL will get the statistics soon enough.

Maybe I am in the minority but I just don't see it as a big deal. It allows people who are cruising in groups to enjoy the MDR experience for Free and those cruising with them who may want a little something more towards a specialty restaurant to all dine together.

If you don't want to pay, don't order it. NCL will get the statistics soon enough.

That's actually a very good way to put it, that has never occurred to me. Perhaps we could see non ala carte menu items in the specialty venues. This could actually fly for them.

I like the fact there is the choice of good quality lobster and large prime rib versus the smaller complimentary steak options. As others have said, when in a large group it is enabling those that want these options to pay the upcharge. I don't see it as such a big deal. It also gives those with onboard credit another option to spend it.