Duty Free Liquor-St. Thomas or St. Maarten

Alan C

Some people like St. Thomas prices and selection, others prefer St. Maarten. Either way the difference is not that great and unless you are buying a lot the costs savings of one over the other is not that big.

Currency isn't an issue in St. Martin. The euro is the official currency on the French side. On the Dutch side the Netherlands Antilles Guilder is the official currency but the US dollar is accepted across the island.

Cruise ships dock in Phillipsburg on the Dutch side. Liquor prices on display at the vendors in Phillipsburg are in US dollars because that is the currency most passengers coming off ships are carrying.

In my experience most NCL ships seem to stop in St. Thomas first. I suggest you walk up the hill to the K-mart liquor and see what the prices are like. If you see a good price on a bottle you want, buy it. It may be a dollar or two cheaper or more expensive in St. Maarten but it may not be available either.

When I am on an itinerary that includes both islands I go to the KMART on St. Thomas. It has some of the best prices I have ever seen. It is not too far from the boat and walking distance (unless you are carrying a lot of duty free). Good selection too.

Isn't it in St Thomas/USVI where they have an increase in Customs duty-free allowance for liquor bought there and carried to US mainland ?

You can take 5 litres of liquor back to the US as long as one of the bottles is a product made in the Virgin Islands such as Cruzan Rum.

You can take 5 litres of liquor back to the US as long as one of the bottles is a product made in the Virgin Islands such as Cruzan Rum.

Greetings

That is indeed the rule, but as long as you stop in St Thomas they don't know where you actually bought your booze unless you tell them.

Years ago the prices in the islands were much better than in the US, but now most of the time the savings is not worth the effort needed to lug it home. I suggest you review prices at your local discount places before your cruise. There are still good bargains, but many items are just marginally cheaper than in the US.

Good Sailing

Tom

In St Maarten they are on the Euro so you have to figure the exchange rate. St Thomas is on the U.S. Dollar.

this totally depends on which side of the island you are on. Regardless, everything is pretty much figured for you. We have found prices on the French side more expensive on everything.

OP: It really doesn't make much difference; we happen to like St Maarten a little better but ST Thomas has a slightly better selection. In recent years the great value doesn't seem to be worth the hassle. We rarely bother buying any.

Try the guava berry rum on st marten. You won't find it anywhere else's. There are some shops that sell some in hand painted bottles. I bought one that had orange and ginger in it. Wished I had bought more as I didn't realize how much I'd like it. They usually offer samples.

We prefer st martin better for prices, but less choices/brands. DD loves Jumbie flavored rums found in St maartin. Best prices we ever found was in Puerto Rico at the store in the port for any brand. So very much cheaper than anywhere else.

Safe sailing