RCI Explorer of the Seas ror Diamond Princess?

Hi my husband and I are considering a cruise in Jan ro New Zealand. Both are similar in price but go to different places. Any recommendations?

They may be the same price, but check out what currency will be used on board.

If they are similar it comes down to where you want to or would like to go.:)

Both are excellent ships.

Overall Diamond Princess will work out cheaper, especially if you enjoy a few drinks when cruising.

The onboard costs on Diamond are in AUD, and there are no additional daily gratuity charges. Drinks prices are reasonable and the full drinks package is $59 when bought onboard.

Onboard costs on Explorer are in USD, and you will be charged the daily gratuities, $12.95 per person per day I think, which are not included in the quoted fare but you can pay these in advance and they usually work out a bit cheaper that way. Drinks prices are quite expensive especially after converting the USD to AUD. The Ultimate drinks package, equivalent to the Princess package, is US $67 per day or AU $95.25 at todays exchange rate.

However if costs aren't an issue then it just depends on which ports you want to visit and what vibe you want on the ship. RCI ships have more activities (like rock climbing) onboard whereas Princess is more traditional with just pool areas. Princess has the extra cost Sanctuary if you like chilling out in peaceful surroundings.

Thanks for the advice - while we are not big drinkers we don't really like the idea of paying in USD! So Diamond Princess looks like the one to go with.

We don't particularly care where we go - I just need a break and a cruise is so stress free.

The Diamond goes to Auckland, Tauranga, Wellington, Akaroa, Dunedin and Fiordland whereas the Explorer goes to Picton, Wellington, Napier, Tauranga and Auckland so unless there is a strong recommendation for Picton and Napier we will probably go Princess - although less convenient to get away from work.

I've been on Diamond and Voyager [similar to Explorer] and definitely prefer Diamond.

Voyager has it's main entertainment areas situated around the Grand Promenade, which becomes a bit boring after a few days; whereas Diamond has it's very attractive bars and lounges on several floors handy to a very attractive central atrium.

Voyager/Explorer's main dining room is very large and attractive, however I love Diamond's four, more intimate, "anytime dining" venues, each with a different theme.

A big gripe on Voyager was the lines and frustrating delays experienced trying to get off the ship at port calls [although I've been told that Explorer is better arranged in that respect]

The Diamond goes to Auckland, Tauranga, Wellington, Akaroa, Dunedin and Fiordland whereas the Explorer goes to Picton, Wellington, Napier, Tauranga and Auckland so unless there is a strong recommendation for Picton and Napier we will probably go Princess - although less convenient to get away from work.

The Diamond itinerary is much better as you get to do the scenic cruising through Fiordland (weather permitting). Pack some warm clothes though.

Overall Diamond Princess will work out cheaper, especially if you enjoy a few drinks when cruising.

The onboard costs on Diamond are in AUD, and there are no additional daily gratuity charges. Drinks prices are reasonable and the full drinks package is $59 when bought onboard.

Onboard costs on Explorer are in USD, and you will be charged the daily gratuities, $12.95 per person per day I think, which are not included in the quoted fare but you can pay these in advance and they usually work out a bit cheaper that way. Drinks prices are quite expensive especially after converting the USD to AUD. The Ultimate drinks package, equivalent to the Princess package, is US $67 per day or AU $95.25 at todays exchange rate.

However if costs aren't an issue then it just depends on which ports you want to visit and what vibe you want on the ship. RCI ships have more activities (like rock climbing) onboard whereas Princess is more traditional with just pool areas. Princess has the extra cost Sanctuary if you like chilling out in peaceful surroundings.

Concerning the Diamond: The daily gratuities you mention not being charged due to the ship using AUD.....Is this only for Australian citizens or does it apply to everyone on the ship? We talked to our TA and she said that you pay a different price for the cruise than US citizens therefore the daily gratuities will be charged to our folio.

Thank you!

Concerning the Diamond: The daily gratuities you mention not being charged due to the ship using AUD.....Is this only for Australian citizens or does it apply to everyone on the ship? We talked to our TA and she said that you pay a different price for the cruise than US citizens therefore the daily gratuities will be charged to our folio.

Thank you!

Yes, this gratuities included arrangement only applies to Australian (and NZ) bookings, not other countries.