Leaving Walmart (Carnival) and going to Royal

terratrac

Haven't saile RCL yet, 2 weeks to go, but we have sailed Carnival several times, Disney Cruise line and Princess. I'd say this, a cruise or vacation is what you make of it. There are things we love about Carnival and things we don't care for. Same thing applies on every line we've been on. Disney does an awesome job of dividing the adult only areas and they (until recently) let you bring liquor on board. Princess doesn't have as much entertainment as Carnival but the quite is nice too. Like I said it's what you make of it. Enjoy!

those that have switched cruise lines, why? And why is Royal Caribbean superior to Carnival?

Walmart if NCL.. unless you get a suite on that cruise. Carnival is a cut above Walmart..

Edited by Kosi

Oh my! We would certainly not call Carnival...Walmart. Having been blessed to have cruised on 14 different lines and over 70 vessels (over more then forty years) we have discovered differences on every line, ship, and even on the same ships from year to year. We still cruise a lot (generally over 70 days a year) and have never tired of cruising. We suspect it is simply because variety always keeps it new and fun. And we are talking variety in both ships and itineraries (we have been to 6 continents on ships).

So our question would be completely different then the one asked by the OP. Why would anyone keep cruising the same line, ship or itineraries?

We should add that if we cruised the same line all the time, the shows (which often do not change for several years) and menus would just get redundant and boring. Princess has the best pizza, Celebrity the best ice cream, HAL the best Eggs Benedict, Azamara a great alternative restaurant (Aqulina), etc. And the Queen Mary 2 has a fantastic ballroom and a real planetarium not to mention their own onboard Shakespeare company.

Hank

P.S. We should have also mentioned that even a specific ship can have an entirely different atmosphere depending on the length of the cruise. Being on a 3 day Carnival cruise is totally different then taking that same ship on a 16 day Transatlantic cruise.

Edited by Hlitner

those that have switched cruise lines, why? And why is Royal Caribbean superior to Carnival?

Given that pretty much every opinion about a cruiseline can be subjective, unless you yourself try other lines you may never understand.

Edited by Big_G

We sail 4-6 cruises a year. In recent years it had been mostly Carnival. We grew so tired of the same menu and I heard of the RCI perks when we went on our first RCI cruise doing the Mediterranean. When I told DH about the better perks, he told me to get us to diamond in a years time. Who was I to argue.

I booked enough cruises to get to diamond status in just a little over a year.

Everything was great on Serenade of the Seas, but it could have been the itinerary and we were in a Junior Suite.

The next cruise was on the Navigator and we hated the food and food choices. We did like Sabor though. I cancelled all the cruises I previously booked except the family cruise with all the kids and little grands this past September. This was on the Navigator again.

We still were not happy with the food choices in the dining room in the evening but breakfast and lunch were good. Our service in the dining room was the worst I have ever experienced out of 30 + cruises. Even the little grands noticed. One night they put their empty chocolate milk glasses on their head hoping the wait staff would notice and offer another glass. They never did even when requested.

I think service and food can vary from ship to ship on all cruise lines. We have not given up on RCI. We are booked on Jewel of the Seas and will still sail all lines.

If I thought anything was superior on RCI I would say the decor is much more to my preference. We really don't cruise for any of the activities including the shows. You will find us on our balcony for most of the time on the ship. We cruise mostly for itinerary or if we need a quick getaway we will sail out of Galveston or New Orleans.

Two years ago we took all the kids and little grands on Carnival Conquest and this year on the Navigator so I asked them which line they preferred. The ages are now 7 - 13. They had mixed revues. They preferred the food on Carnival as well as the wait staff who totally doted on them and they liked the water slide. The decor went to RCI along with more activities for the older ones who did the rock climbing and flow rider. In each case they had two connecting rooms for each of the families of five, but on Carnival they only had ocean view rooms. This time on the Navigator I upgraded each family to a balcony with connecting ocean view room. Mostly I think they just liked being with their cousins as they live a long distance from each other.

We are now platinum on RCI, but are no longer in a hurry to become diamond. Maybe we will make it one day but it is not a motivator. I have a couple itineraries I am watching for that Carnival does not do. I will book as soon as they come open.

I would not hesitate to try other lines. I feel they all offer something worth trying. Also, if you aren't happy with a cruise it could just be that particular ship on that particular sailing. Saying that, I would never sail a 3 or 4 day weekend cruise as you are sure to find what is known as a booze cruise.

Never sailed Carnival or NCL.

So will you say in general NCL < CCL if you have young kids?

We are thinking about having our next west coast cruise. First of all there aren't too many choices, and second of all there are a few Princess but I don't think they are attractive to young kids. RCCL doesn't have many itinerary in this area (btw, why did they remove LA as one of their ship's homeport?)

That basically leaves us CCL vs. NCL.

I've only been on a few Carnival ships, all Freedom class. We enjoyed each cruise, though we do cruise in the fall or spring to avoid high price. We are trying RCI this time because we wanted to see the Oasis-class ships for ourselves and because it seemed a much better choice for my toddler.

Never sailed Carnival or NCL.

So will you say in general NCL < CCL if you have young kids?

We are thinking about having our next west coast cruise. First of all there aren't too many choices, and second of all there are a few Princess but I don't think they are attractive to young kids. RCCL doesn't have many itinerary in this area (btw, why did they remove LA as one of their ship's homeport?)

That basically leaves us CCL vs. NCL.

Not sure who you are asking. I have never had any of my littles on NCL, we really like it. I think Carnival does a really good job with kids. They really dote on them and make them feel special.

We've never Cruised with Carnival but don't understand why some Cruisers bash Carnival by calling them the Walmart Cruise line. I guess this falls in the of category, "To each their own'.

I think if you have ever seen those famous.. You Tube videos of people in Walmart, you would understand. Have been on 3 Carnival cruises and I am astounded as to the way people dress on Carnival. It does not affect our cruise what so ever, but I am always baffled.

Edited by champagne123
xxxxxx

I think if you have ever seen those famous.. You Tube videos of people in Walmart, you would understand. Have been on 3 Carnival cruises and I am astounded as to the way people dress on Carnival. It does not affect our cruise what so ever, but I am always baffled.

I shop in Walmart...as a matter of fact just this morning. Hmmmm!

I shop in Walmart...as a matter of fact just this morning. Hmmmm!

Ok....don't get defensive now. :) I am not talking about everyone that shops at Walmart ...and almost everyone does. I am talking about the YOU TUBE videos that people compare to cruising on Carnival. :eek:

One of the reasons we left Carnival and haven't looked back is the tacky decor. The dining rooms are decorated over the top that I hated eating in there. Pink/purple light fixtures that resemble bathroom lights are too much when I want to eat a nice dinner. Also I never see people pushing in line for food like I did on carnival. I saw plenty of "Wal-Mart" looking people on Carnival.

Good morning Troll, what an insightful and meaningful post you started the day with!!!:D:D

He/she is wanting to make tons of new friends on the CC page. :D

Also started this thread today ... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2277955 ...

why try to cause drama with a YAGE? Just go and enjoy whatever other cruise line you choose to go with.

Edited by S.C.

I've cruised both lines. I understand the comment. Basically, when you can get an inside cabin on Carnival for the same price/night as a motel 6 what are you going to attract? Trust me, I'm not bashing Carnival in anyway, shape or form. I've cruised Carnival, had a great time on ALL cruises and have absolutely no problem cruising with them again. The bottom line, they are a fantastic bang for your buck.

I like RCI better mainly because of the clientele and the decorating. It's a heck of a lot more subdued. Carnival's can be obnoxious. Fun? Yes, but I find the gaudiness wears thin by day 3. I like the overall feel on Royal. However, I actually prefer the food on Carnival and find the cabin stewards out of this world with Carnival while on RCI it's been hit or miss. That said, this is just my own personal experience and should judge all as that isn't fair. Every steward is different and it can be luck of the draw.

In any event, I hope that helps :)

He/she is wanting to make tons of new friends on the CC page. :D

Also started this thread today ... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2277955 ...

why try to cause drama with a YAGE? Just go and enjoy whatever other cruise line you choose to go with.

Actually, I don't believe OP is trying to stir the pot. I think he/she is just someone ready to make a switch. There have been a lot of changes over the years with Carnival (as will all the lines!) and I know when I was over on those threads there were many ticked off (which happens here too). I think OP is just looking for some honest input from people that have cruised both lines. Just my 2c.:cool:

Welcome Terratrac, I'm sure you will be happy with RCI :)

Edited by sarahleebones

Actually, I don't believe OP is trying to stir the pot. I think he/she is just someone ready to make a switch. There have been a lot of changes over the years with Carnival (as will all the lines!) and I know when I was over on those threads there were many ticked off (which happens here too). I think OP is just looking for some honest input from people that have cruised both lines. Just my 2c.:cool:

Welcome Terratrac, I'm sure you will be happy with RCI :)

Could be but wording it ... Walmart ... makes me think otherwise. JMO

Edited by S.C.

Oh my! We would certainly not call Carnival...Walmart. Having been blessed to have cruised on 14 different lines and over 70 vessels (over more then forty years) we have discovered differences on every line, ship, and even on the same ships from year to year. We still cruise a lot (generally over 70 days a year) and have never tired of cruising. We suspect it is simply because variety always keeps it new and fun. And we are talking variety in both ships and itineraries (we have been to 6 continents on ships).

So our question would be completely different then the one asked by the OP. Why would anyone keep cruising the same line, ship or itineraries?

We should add that if we cruised the same line all the time, the shows (which often do not change for several years) and menus would just get redundant and boring. Princess has the best pizza, Celebrity the best ice cream, HAL the best Eggs Benedict, Azamara a great alternative restaurant (Aqulina), etc. And the Queen Mary 2 has a fantastic ballroom and a real planetarium not to mention their own onboard Shakespeare company.

Hank

P.S. We should have also mentioned that even a specific ship can have an entirely different atmosphere depending on the length of the cruise. Being on a 3 day Carnival cruise is totally different then taking that same ship on a 16 day Transatlantic cruise.

Well said!

Hank

Agree with a lot of what you have stated, however....on the Carnival Splendor for 15 days. Although we met some wonderful people....we were flabbergasted with most of the people. Honey Boo Boo attire...Walmart attire.....just floored with behavior and manners and attire. The worst were Texans. Don't know why...and I don't know much about Texans...but they were sooooo dirty. Their cowboy hats were disgusting. This was the only cruise that we regret sailing. The longest 15 days of our lives.

Edited by champagne123
fffff

Agree with a lot of what you have stated, however....on the Carnival Splendor for 15 days. Although we met some wonderful people....we were flabbergasted with most of the people. Honey Boo Boo attire...Walmart attire.....just floored with behavior and manners and attire. The worst were Texans. Don't know why...and I don't know much about Texans...but they were sooooo dirty. Their cowboy hats were disgusting. This was the only cruise that we regret sailing. The longest 15 days of our lives.

Yeah. It reminds me of the cruise I took out of New York. All those people from New York and New Jersey were so pushy and rude and loud mouthed. I was floored and flabbergasted by their rudeness and self-centered attitudes. Their habits were disgusting, especially with all their fake Versace and Guido looks.

Edited by stobe1