Eurodam new tile

Krazy Kruizers

All of the images on the tiles are based on of the large paintings hanging on board... as the EURODAM and Nw AMSTERDAM paintings.

When PRINSENDAM cam along.... there was only one painting. Could not continue with the 2012 tile so I came up with a new painting. Not a large painting, but at least a small watercolour. To make it easier... I did a painting in B&W in gouache. Here are the two paintings. Then it goes to the factory... and their artists then make it into the tile image.

Here are a few other ideas for tiles that I have put forward. The last one is a 'tile painting'.... made on 4 x 4 inch tiles. A one off... and all in own hand in 'faience'... cobalt oxide on tin glaze. All good fun. I swear, had I never gone into normal painting I would have been a Delft artist.... difficult commuting from Bermuda!

Stephen

1792228327_MARINERTILEPRINSENDAM2014SMLsmalfile.jpg.63ce7d6748c4bde685fd1474f82a3baa.jpg

710165180_MARINERTILE2013PRINSENDAMBLACKGREY.jpg.858e70178772d2e4453076f0e6c54c4d.jpg

1825348698_SCLASSMARINERTILE3.jpg.6d836ca3879a6391e32d13c21177b2ba.jpg

1788141332_VEENDAMTILEsmall.jpg.4901c790927bdfec473e5ffd0c6bc33f.jpg

547056170_PRDMTILES.jpg.76009da8039e8610bb2da00d30ae2f69.jpg

It seems the hyphen was added on the 2012 tiles.

No idea why. You can guarantee that t was not just a 'mistake'. Every details is approved in Seattle and unlikely that it was just a 'mistake'.

If you go back.... to the beginning of the company the hyphen was always used in artworks, posters etc. This was even used right through the 1970s. The hyphen was dropped in the 1980s and now used again on tiles in 2012.

Stephen

The font used on the tiles is vintage Holland-America. I don't know if this link will work, but google "Holland America poster" and you'll see lots of vintage posters with the hyphen and a few with that font.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrB8pPIpUBWwW0A1QYunIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTIyNjlxbWgwBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZAM4MGY0MzAwMmUwNTBjY2MzMDhkZTM1YmY4YmU0NTIzMgRncG9zAzIEaXQDYmluZw--?.origin=&back=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fyhs%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Dholland%2Bamerica%2Bposter%26fr%3Dyhs-mozilla-004%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26hsimp%3Dyhs-004%26hspart%3Dmozilla%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D2&w=326&h=500&imgurl=www.onslowsposters.com%2Fimages%2FM%2Fholland_america_poster_0423.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.onslowsposters.com%2Fp282%2FHolland_America_Line_Advertising_Poster%2Fproduct_info.html&size=206.0KB&name=%3Cb%3Eholland_america_poster%3C%2Fb%3E_0423.jpg&p=holland+america+poster&oid=80f43002e050ccc308de35bf8be45232&fr2=piv-web&fr=yhs-mozilla-004&tt=%3Cb%3Eholland_america_poster%3C%2Fb%3E_0423.jpg&b=0&ni=21&no=2&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=12s9gf4ej&sigb=14gg9m72g&sigi=11vn5q08k&sigt=116t7oubt&sign=116t7oubt&.crumb=imNNnsM3Po4&fr=yhs-mozilla-004&fr2=piv-web&hsimp=yhs-004&hspart=mozilla

That we literally seem to have the actual artist communicating with us here on the thread in regards to all of the tiles over the past many years.

What an opportunity to ask question's and appreciate - the nuances and reason's why a particular tile is done in the way it is - quite AMAZING.

TopSham can I ask did you design the new logo that was just released in October?

Thank You

Topsham = Stephen

Edited by hugger

Not that far back.... just the 2012 series and the present series.

The new logo... I don't know. I was not involved in this at all. If it was me I would have kept the old one. I love that old logo.

I might be the first one to paint the new one though. I have been on the large painting of the KONINGSDAM. Not yet finished but the funnel in the painting is finished... so.... a few minutes I was able to repaint it after seeing the new logo unveiled by the CEO!

I guess we will get you to it. Wish just a bit bigger. With the new ship named KONINGSDAM perhaps the King will suggest Oranje for the colour. :-)

We just returned from 14 nights on the Westerdam & have not received any tiles. We are a 3 star Mariner if that makes a difference. Anyone have an answer for me?

Thank you very much!

Quendryth

(Faith for those of you who still remember!)

Stephen, Thank you so much for sharing the photos of those gorgeous tiles. They're fabulous and I know we all appreciate all you contribute.

Is it safe to 'assume' there will be in Inaugural Plate for Koningsdam. I have a complete set of the current fleet and will be looking to add Koningsdam to my collection. :)

so collectors could fill in the ones they are missing. I bet there is a room filled with undelivered tiles somewhere in Seattle headquarters. They could offer them to Mariners on line or through a mailing and charge enough to cover mailing them.

We have yet to get a pin or anything - we have gotten 6 tiles I believe over the year's. Now day's they seem to be handing them out at the Mariner Luncheon. A few year's back they were delivered to our room. We missed a great many of them back then. Now we get them at the luncheon every cruise.

I even had one of the supervisor's from the front desk call us one time when sailing the Noordam. Out of the blue I hadn't requested the call - which I found interesting. She asked IF we were up to date on our recognition awards and tiles. I told her no that we hadn't gotten any of them only 2 of the tiles at that time. She was going to make sure we received them - have yet to get any.

I am not complaining just making an observation.

We just returned from 14 nights on the Westerdam & have not received any tiles. We are a 3 star Mariner if that makes a difference. Anyone have an answer for me?

Thank you very much!

Quendryth

(Faith for those of you who still remember!)

All is not lost. :) Call Seattle or write to Seattle... C/o Mariner Society. They will send the missing tile.

Enjoy memories from the Westerdam!

Stephen

Stephen, Thank you so much for sharing the photos of those gorgeous tiles. They're fabulous and I know we all appreciate all you contribute.

Is it safe to 'assume' there will be in Inaugural Plate for Koningsdam. I have a complete set of the current fleet and will be looking to add Koningsdam to my collection. :)

S7S,

If we 'assume' and there is no Inaugural Plate... the sky will be falling!

Of course there is the Inaugural Tile also.

The 2012 series... mounted on a panel, grouted and framed.

I've seen them as tables and bathroom walls..... to get to that level.... of bathrooms... must be President Club. ;-)

259160312_HALMarinertiles2012set.jpg.7665bf5f79250831bda2d3c579aaf015.jpg

Yes there will be. You will have to see when it is finished. ;)

S7S,

If we 'assume' and there is no Inaugural Plate... the sky will be falling!

Of course there is the Inaugural Tile also.

The 2012 series... mounted on a panel, grouted and framed.

I've seen them as tables and bathroom walls..... to get to that level.... of bathrooms... must be President Club. ;-)

I'm Platinum but certainly not President's Club and when we redid a bathroom, I put Mariners tiles as part of the design for shower walls. I had them interspersed around the walls and they look fabulous.

The work was being done while we were on a ship with our favorite GRM and DH and she thought the design great when I showed her photos my contractor forwarded.

Oops, I think I just told you you're in my shower. :eek: :D Well, your tiles are in my shower. :)

Here I one for Platinum Mariners... and the second one for President's Club.

S7S.... I guess you must be somewhere in between.

The last photo.... those still yet to achieve 5 STARS. And if you don't know where 'The Heads' are.... you should not be cruising with HAL!!!! (BTW... they do come in 'blue')

309158749_delfttoilet1.jpg.0c3ca01c5fb8b104aa5c717cce0a9421.jpg

796486081_delfttoiletJohn-Michael-Kohler-Arts-Center_1999_0102.jpg.e51f71ddd9146c68369d8a757086edc1.jpg

373768131_TheHeadmages58SOPP2S.jpg.e08e6cc893272b6d51864b734add245b.jpg

We have yet to get a pin or anything - we have gotten 6 tiles I believe over the year's. Now day's they seem to be handing them out at the Mariner Luncheon. A few year's back they were delivered to our room. We missed a great many of them back then. Now we get them at the luncheon every cruise.

I even had one of the supervisor's from the front desk call us one time when sailing the Noordam. Out of the blue I hadn't requested the call - which I found interesting. She asked IF we were up to date on our recognition awards and tiles. I told her no that we hadn't gotten any of them only 2 of the tiles at that time. She was going to make sure we received them - have yet to get any.

I am not complaining just making an observation.

How many days do you have on HAL? Depending on the number of days you have with HAL, depends on whether you qualify for one of the star pins or a medallion.

Have you tried Ebay?

Kathy,

Quite right... tiles are easily available. If current and you miss them... HAL will send those.

Lots of HAL memorabilia about on EBAY if you wish. Even 'plates'. Just be careful... might be addicted!

My favourite piece... a plate for the Maiden Trip 1959 s.s. ROTTERDAM.

Just 6" dia. Set me back $400!!!!!

I like the name 'Maiden Trip'..... better than' Inaugural' .

The other plate of the 1900 NOORDAM... 10" plate.

Stephen

421338598_ROTTERDAMVMAIDENTRIPPLATE1959.jpg.3dfa5048d97ccc7ee9162397b62c4be4.jpg

1373020217_OLDNOORDAMPLATE.jpg.62477089e0ea52166512f6acb86d07b0.jpg

Kathy,

Quite right... tiles are easily available. If current and you miss them... HAL will send those.

Lots of HAL memorabilia about on EBAY if you wish. Even 'plates'. Just be careful... might be addicted!

My favourite piece... a plate for the Maiden Trip 1959 s.s. ROTTERDAM.

Just 6" dia. Set me back $400!!!!!

I like the name 'Maiden Trip'..... better than' Inaugural' .

The other plate of the 1900 NOORDAM... 10" plate.

Stephen

Beautiful plates! But I'm not starting with HAL memorabilia. I've bought enough Cunard stuff on Ebay, especially QE2.

But I do like Delft...

Beautiful plates! But I'm not starting with HAL memorabilia. I've bought enough Cunard stuff on Ebay, especially QE2.

But I do like Delft...

If you want some Cunard memorabilia...

on EBAY right now..... a lapel pin.... $350.... from the LUSITANIA!!!!!

Beautiful!

Stephen

We just returned from 14 nights on the Westerdam & have not received any tiles. ... Anyone have an answer for me?

We received our tiles on the Westerdam last week when leaving the Mariner Society brunch. The trays that contained the tiles were covered with linens and the tiles were handed out by staff. The tiles seemed only to be distributed if they were asked for (we had to ask for ours); they weren't being distributed either freely or openly. We probably would have missed receiving them if I didn't know to look for and ask for them.

I had five new ones in May/June and gave them to friends. Now I have to come back to VEENDAM in May. ;)

I can't remember but seem to recall that the colour was different.

Here is a beautiful tile from De L'Europe - Amsterdam. Give away from the hotel guests.

I'd love to see a full colour HAL tile. :-)

542496613_TILEEUROPAAMSTERDAM.jpg.8f2be13d618d4413e632c59155e6e2af.jpg

Edited by Topsham

Krazy Kruizers - I can't tell from the photos, but is the new tile lighter in color? The blue doesn't look as deep, but that might be the photo or the lighting.

Here is the side-by-side for the Signature ships direct from the HAL site:

2012_marinerTILE_05.jpg

2014_marinerTILE_03.jpg

Edited by catl331