Bringing water and soda onboard.

chloe kitty

It was in January. So I need to check on that I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's nothing to check on. NCL changed their policy back in July and you can no longer bring bottled or canned water or soda on board with you or when coming back on board from a port stop.

Things change...just because you were able to do something in January does not mean that you can now do it now. Post #8 had the link to the official change on NCL's website

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Edited by SNJCruisers

There are machines in both Miami terminals. (very surprising considering the crackdown on bringing soft drinks and water on board).

I believe the cost was 2 dollars and there was a wide selection. They are the multilevel machines that hold a a lot of bottles.

As stated there are no more security checks after you are in the terminal and no problem bringing them onboard in a carryon.

Just got off the Dawn, they confiscated water as people were checking in. From the responses here it must depend on the ship or port.

Some of the "success" stories are from a year ago and many are prior to the NCL Beverage Policy change in July 2016....

It's now consistent to have water, soda, etc confiscated.

sent using Forums mobile app

There are machines in both Miami terminals. (very surprising considering the crackdown on bringing soft drinks and water on board).

I believe the cost was 2 dollars and there was a wide selection. They are the multilevel machines that hold a a lot of bottles.

As stated there are no more security checks after you are in the terminal and no problem bringing them onboard in a carryon.

If it costs $2 for a can of soda then you're not saving any money by buying them in the terminal. Pretty much the same price on board.

If it costs $2 for a can of soda then you're not saving any money by buying them in the terminal. Pretty much the same price on board.
It's a 20 oz bottle of COKE in the terminal versus a 12 oz can of Pepsi on board. Better value and also appeases those that enjoy their Coke.

I find it hard to believe that with the drinks package you don't get water bottles with it. We go through a lot of water & got in the habit of not drinking tap water, how did we survive before bottled water, having to buy water just seems crazy that it isn't included.

• 4 months later...

Back from my Getaway cruise. They did have a couple of vending machine in the terminal.

Didn't workout great. They had one can of Coke and two cans of Sprit, $2.00 each, 20oz. I was at the

terminal at 9:30 am.

They had plenty of water $1.50. No diet soda at all. Coin feed did not work, we did not find

this out until I put a $5.00 in and got back all quarters and and tried to put them back in. I put in

4 or 5 and the first couple dropped in but them they stopped feeding. We had to put in more bills

and keep all the quarters that were given back for change. The machine also had gatorade, orange and

grape soda.

Back from my Getaway cruise. They did have a couple of vending machine in the terminal.

Didn't workout great. They had one can of Coke and two cans of Sprit, $2.00 each, 20oz. I was at the

terminal at 9:30 am.

They had plenty of water $1.50. No diet soda at all. Coin feed did not work, we did not find

this out until I put a $5.00 in and got back all quarters and and tried to put them back in. I put in

4 or 5 and the first couple dropped in but them they stopped feeding. We had to put in more bills

and keep all the quarters that were given back for change. The machine also had gatorade, orange and

grape soda.

That stinks but I'll check it out. I'll also try putting a couple of bottles in each of my checked bags.:o Where exactly is the machine?

That stinks but I'll check it out. I'll also try putting a couple of bottles in each of my checked bags.:o Where exactly is the machine?

They are against the back wall. My son even walked around to see if there were other machines. He couldn't find any more.

• 1 month later...

I purchased 6 20oz caffiene free diet cokes $1.89ea at a CVS near where we were staying in Miami. I double wrapped 2 in zip lock bags and packed 2 in each of my 3 checked bags. They made it to my cabin without any problems. I was also able to find the coke machine in Terminal B after security and got 6 diet coke and 2 Sprite $2 each and put them in my wheeled carry on bag. I thought maybe I had over bought but my the end of my 11 night cruise there was only one left. My steward emptied the fridge and disposed of my empty bottles.

I was also able to purchase 20oz bottles of water at the bar near the pool at 3.25 each. They did have a special on day 2 for 6 1 liter bottles for $14 but I did not want those large bottles.

Looks like they changed their policy on this last July:

Can I bring water or soda on board?

Effective for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula; and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard that is subject to screening and a corkage fee (for guests 21 years of age or older). Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call. This revised policy brings the company in line with other best practice travel security protocols and reduces the need for individual time consuming screening and package inspection of large volumes of beverages.

Why the change in policy?

The inspection of large volumes of beverages has an impact on the embarkation process and security resources. As one example, guests who attempt to smuggle alcoholic beverages onboard often try to do so in beverage containers. This means all beverages must be personally screened, taking both time and dedicated personnel.

This modified policy will now bring us in line with other travel industry procedures for transporting beverages and allow security personnel to focus on other screening efforts and not individually inspecting all beverages being brought onboard.

What if I purchase a beverage in a port of call?

Guests will not be permitted to bring any beverages onboard the ship in ports of call and any locally-purchased beverages will be disposed of prior to embarkation. No open containers of beverages, including water, will be allowed onboard during a port of call.

If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

What happens if I bring a case of water to the ship?

Guests who bring beverages to embarkation will be directed to return the items to their vehicle. If the guest does not have a vehicle onsite, the items will be disposed of.

If I need to bring water or milk onboard for a medical reason or infant, what’s the process?

Guests who have special needs, medical requirements, or families with infants who require water for formula or milk, should contact the access desk at accessdesk@ncl.com to verify if an exception can be made for their beverage and to obtain pre-approval to provide to security at embarkation.

Is the water onboard safe to drink?

All of our ships produce water in accordance with the guidelines and requirements as defined by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Center for Environmental Health.

Can I still bring wine on board?

Yes, guests may bring sealed bottles of wine on board for personal consumption. They will be checked prior to embarkation and a corkage fee applied at that time of $15.00 USD for a 750 ml Bottle or $30.00 USD for a 1,500 ml Magnum bottle. Box wines are not allowed on board. If guests do not wish to pay the corkage fee, the wine will be held onboard and returned to the guests at the end of the cruise.

Why can I bring wine but not other beverages?

As very few guests bring wine onboard, the team is able to easily and quickly screen these items.

Effective for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula; and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard that is subject to screening and a corkage fee (for guests 21 years of age or older). Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call. This revised policy brings the company in line with other best practice travel security protocols and reduces the need for individual time consuming screening and package inspection of large volumes of beverages.

Why the change in policy?

The inspection of large volumes of beverages has an impact on the embarkation process and security resources. As one example, guests who attempt to smuggle alcoholic beverages onboard often try to do so in beverage containers. This means all beverages must be personally screened, taking both time and dedicated personnel.

This modified policy will now bring us in line with other travel industry procedures for transporting beverages and allow security personnel to focus on other screening efforts and not individually inspecting all beverages being brought onboard.

What if I purchase a beverage in a port of call?

Guests will not be permitted to bring any beverages onboard the ship in ports of call and any locally-purchased beverages will be disposed of prior to embarkation. No open containers of beverages, including water, will be allowed onboard during a port of call.

If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

What happens if I bring a case of water to the ship?

Guests who bring beverages to embarkation will be directed to return the items to their vehicle. If the guest does not have a vehicle onsite, the items will be disposed of.

If I need to bring water or milk onboard for a medical reason or infant, what’s the process?

Guests who have special needs, medical requirements, or families with infants who require water for formula or milk, should contact the access desk at accessdesk@ncl.com to verify if an exception can be made for their beverage and to obtain pre-approval to provide to security at embarkation.

Is the water onboard safe to drink?

All of our ships produce water in accordance with the guidelines and requirements as defined by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Center for Environmental Health.

Can I still bring wine on board?

Yes, guests may bring sealed bottles of wine on board for personal consumption. They will be checked prior to embarkation and a corkage fee applied at that time of $15.00 USD for a 750 ml Bottle or $30.00 USD for a 1,500 ml Magnum bottle. Box wines are not allowed on board. If guests do not wish to pay the corkage fee, the wine will be held onboard and returned to the guests at the end of the cruise.

Why can I bring wine but not other beverages?

As very few guests bring wine onboard, the team is able to easily and quickly screen these items.

I cruised on the Pearl on March 23, 2017 and was well aware of their new policy.

I cruised on the Pearl on March 23, 2017 and was well aware of their new policy.

Didn't realize your post was about smuggling. Saw it was started some time ago and just thought I would point out the policy changed in case people weren't aware. Carry on.

Effective for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages --

Yep, that's why I cancelled my Nov 2016 Jade cruise.

I say go for it and sneak in as many cans of Diet Coke as you can carry. On our last cruise, I snuck in our cat, an iron, some blue cheese, a couple of joints, a bottle of Jack Daniels, a hand gun, a fan, a blender, and some kale. No problem. It's ridiculous that they even have these stupid rules. The second they give me crap about this, I'll cancel all of our future cruises and take my business elsewhere!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app