Formal night for 5 year old

Dragonfly0705

We are taking an Alaskan Cruise with our 5 year old next summer. What is acceptable clothing for him on Formal nights? Does he need a jacket too? Do they do rentals for kids? If that is what he needs we will get him onen or rent one. Hate to buy one given how quickly he is growing lately and have very few other opportunites to wear one. Thanks!

I always tell people to dress like you are going to a nice restaurant. IMHO a 5 year old doesn't need a dinner jacket.

though to be fair, I've seen Disney Princess at formal nights :) Of course, those tended to be 5 year old girls (but I've seen a few over 30!!)

A 5 year old needs to wear whatever his mom says he will wear. If mom opts for a jacket, check out e-bay. They can often be had very inexpensively as kids tend to wear them once or twice and then they don't fit any more! Ditto for second hand shops.

But in reality, no tie or jacket needed on a young child.

You don't need a jacket.

Last July we cruised with our 6 and 3 year old grandsons to Alaska. They were told formal nights were "special". They would be treated like the young gentlemen that they were. Their parents got "special" dress up clothes for them. They both were slacks, dress shirts and ties. One had a jacket, the other a vest. Pretty sure they got them at Target, maybe Amazon. They weren't expensive They were on their best behavior and were treated like royalty.

They both enjoyed the special nights and want to do it again. Our 3 year old, looking in a mirror, proclaimed, "I'm a stud."

Cheers.

Edited by Bemidji Ty

I dressed my 2 year daughter and 12 year old son up for formal night, I was so glad I did as it was ooprtunity to get a really good family picture with everyone in their dressyattire. The kids were treated like royalty. I didn't buy anything special, however I packed "church" (a dress with lace socks for my daughter,and dress shoes, and black slacks, white long sleeved dress shirt for my son, and a tie). The little one was on her best behavior during dinner as she was prentending to be a "grown-up" for the evening. :)

You don't need a jacket.

Last July we cruised with our 6 and 3 year old grandsons to Alaska. They were told formal nights were "special". They would be treated like the young gentlemen that they were. Their parents got "special" dress up clothes for them. They both were slacks, dress shirts and ties. One had a jacket, the other a vest. Pretty sure they got them at Target, maybe Amazon. They weren't expensive They were on their best behavior and were treated like royalty.

They both enjoyed the special nights and want to do it again. Our 3 year old, looking in a mirror, proclaimed, "I'm a stud."

Cheers.

This is so cute! I happen to believe little kids like the opportunity to step up to the adult world once in a while. We use to tell our kiddos "if you can behave you can go. If not we'll get s babysitter". It was the last part of the statement that worked ;) . They were usually pretty darned good!

A 5 year old in a shirt and tie will almost certainly be treated like a king by the dining room staff. They love to spoil the young ones.

Note: Be sure to have him order the Volcano for desert. :)

A 5 year old in a shirt and tie will almost certainly be treated like a king by the dining room staff. They love to spoil the young ones.

Note: Be sure to have him order the Volcano for desert. :)

You're evil!!! :D

I will also be on an Alaskan cruise with my 5 year old next summer. I agree that a suit is absolutely not needed for them! However I probably will put my little guy in one because I think it will be adorable :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are taking our boys (18 months & 4 1/2 yrs) on their first cruise in just under 2 weeks. We found great deals on little suits (button-up shirt, vest, tie, & slacks) at Walmart and Marshalls. I think under $20 a piece. I agree that it is probably not necessary to do the suits, but would be awfully cute. :)

We are taking an Alaskan Cruise with our 5 year old next summer. What is acceptable clothing for him on Formal nights? Does he need a jacket too? Do they do rentals for kids? If that is what he needs we will get him onen or rent one. Hate to buy one given how quickly he is growing lately and have very few other opportunites to wear one. Thanks!

A 5 y/o does not need a jacket and they don't have rentals for children. Buying a jacket for a 5 y/o is an absolute waste of money. Dress him in nice clean clothing like a pair of pants and a nice shirt with collar (not tshirt). No one expects a 5 y/o to appear in a tux or even suit. Put him into something he likes, is familiar with and looks good and you will have a much nicer dinner.