long cruises and Prescription drugs

mrsfitz28

As for the police, all 50 states have laws requiring carrying of prescription medication in original containers.

I copied this from a State of Maine attorney's website who specializes in defending these kinds of cases (he is quoting Maine Law):

"A person is not authorized to possess his or her own prescription drug unless the drug is “in the container in which it was delivered by the person selling or dispensing the drug.” 17-A M.R.S. section 1107-A (2), 22 M.R.S. section 2383-B (1). There is only one circumstance in which a person is authorized to possess his or her own prescription drug outside its original container, and that is “when [the drug is] in use.” Id. As soon as a prescription drug is removed from its original pill bottle, the person who possesses it commits a crime unless the drug is, at that point, “in use.” Obviously, if a person takes a pill directly from the bottle and swallows it, the drug is “in use” during that process."

Edited by Tom O.

I recently switched to a mail-order company called Pillpack.

My deductibles went down and I don't have to fill little boxes with daily pills.

They ship every 2 weeks enough packets in a dispenser with the appropriate pills for my morning and evening meds.

I'm going on a 25 day cruise in about a week and all I had to do was call them and told them how many I needed for vacation so they just sent me enough packets for the whole cruise plus a couple of days after.

We are both retired Federal Employees and have BCBS. Best part is we don't have to deal with those plastic pill dispensers. :)

I want to again reiterate that there is a difference between Sched 1,2,3 drugs (mostly addictive med containing narcotics) and other drugs. Federal law (which applies to everyone in the USA) makes it very difficult to get more then a 30 day supply of these drugs. Physicians licensed to prescribe these drugs (such as Oxycontin) can only write a script for a maximum for 30 days at a time. Somebody taking a World Cruise (over 100 days) who needs a Sched drug has to deal with a real tough problem. A physician is permitted, under certain circumstances, to write up to three 30 day scripts (to be used sequentially) but they generally cannot be filled in advance. If in that situation we would probably contact the cruise line's Medical director and ask if they can arrange to fill those scripts onboard...but not sure if they will grant this type of request.

Hank

I copied this statement from the U.S. Customs website: "Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply. If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor."

So it sounds like it is ok to not have them in their original containers as long as you have copies of the prescriptions. But I think it would be easier to have the original containers than to go to the trouble of getting copies of the prescriptions.

I bolded your last sentence because with every prescription we get from CVS or Walgreens or our mail order, there is attached to our bill is an additional written copy of the prescription..This is in addition to what is on the actual container..Those written ones also contain complete drug info & side effects..I take all of the written ones with me when we carry our pills in the plastic container..., However, TSA Agents might not adhere to the U.S. Customs rule, so I would keep my meds in the original containers if I was flying..

I want to again reiterate that there is a difference between Sched 1,2,3 drugs (mostly addictive med containing narcotics) and other drugs. Federal law (which applies to everyone in the USA) makes it very difficult to get more then a 30 day supply of these drugs. Physicians licensed to prescribe these drugs (such as Oxycontin) can only write a script for a maximum for 30 days at a time. Somebody taking a World Cruise (over 100 days) who needs a Sched drug has to deal with a real tough problem. A physician is permitted, under certain circumstances, to write up to three 30 day scripts (to be used sequentially) but they generally cannot be filled in advance. If in that situation we would probably contact the cruise line's Medical director and ask if they can arrange to fill those scripts onboard...but not sure if they will grant this type of request.

Hank

Hank they can't fill them on board, but I had a problem with one of my prescriptions once & the Dr. on board wrote the script & sent me to a pharmacy at the next port stop to have it filled.. Sorry but have CRS & don't remember where it was ..

Edited by serendipity1499

What was the loose powder? Was it face powder?

I honestly don't remember what kind it was, but something my Mom liked & used.. The ones you could purchase in those lovely boxes with a puff.. I haven't seen them in years & don't know if they still make them.. This was in the 70's & we stopped for a few days & cleared Customs in Hawaii on our way back from Australia..The Agent actually opened up the box which annoyed me no end, but I couldn't say anything at that time as I was on Company Business & didn't want to annoy a Custom's Agent..:eek:

In those days both Immigrations & Custom's was separated..

As for the police, all 50 states have laws requiring carrying of prescription medication in original containers.

I copied this from a State of Maine attorney's website who specializes in defending these kinds of cases (he is quoting Maine Law):

"A person is not authorized to possess his or her own prescription drug unless the drug is “in the container in which it was delivered by the person selling or dispensing the drug.” 17-A M.R.S. section 1107-A (2), 22 M.R.S. section 2383-B (1). There is only one circumstance in which a person is authorized to possess his or her own prescription drug outside its original container, and that is “when [the drug is] in use.” Id. As soon as a prescription drug is removed from its original pill bottle, the person who possesses it commits a crime unless the drug is, at that point, “in use.” Obviously, if a person takes a pill directly from the bottle and swallows it, the drug is “in use” during that process."

Hi Tom,

I can't question your reference but I need to say that if what you presented is the law, it is one of the most ridiculous laws I have seen. I would like to see a policeman anywhere in the US try to arrest me for carrying a month's worth of my own non-narcotic prescriptions in a monthly pill box. I’d be laughing so hard that my sides would split. It is just plain stupid.

Of course, many (most ?) of the Rx commonly prescribed in U.S. and Canada are available in most of the countries we would be visiting. However, they likely require a doctor's prescription there same as here though I do know there are exceptions...

Hi Sail,

Could you please tell me some of the countries you would be visiting that all pharmacies would require prescriptions for non-narcotic regular medications? I'm afraid that I have not come across many in my travels. I commonly buy several blood pressure, thyroid, cholesterol, and gerd medications during my annual cruises and have never been asked to produce a prescription.

Scott & Karen

The quote function is not working again, so this is mainly for Cave-Diving:

While it is a pain in the you-know-where to carry medications in the original containers, we have been advised to do this several times and we do know that any meds not in original containers and which may raise some doubt with customs and border agents can be confiscated. Some years ago my son was part of the first air-lift to Disneyland from Children's Hospital here in Vancouver. All these kids had cancer or other life-threatening and very serious illnesses, requiring constant meds. All meds had to be in their original containers, for everyone. No exceptions. This rule still applies here in Canada and as far as I know, for travel to and through the US. I'm a rule-follower, so I just do it.

Most insurance companies and pharmacists allow you to renew one to two additional months of med ahead of time. There are some exceptions to this such as addictive drugs.

Start with the Pharmacist and they can let you know and that includes them contacting your insurance company for you.

We have gone on some 100+ days of cruising so I am speaking from experience.

Keith

This discussion reminded me of arranging for extra pills a couple of years ago through my Part D drug coverage plan. I mentioned to the pharmacy clerk that my supply would run out during our stay inside Yellowstone National Park.

Her suggestion was that I could arrange to get my refill at the "Yellowstone Walgreen's."

I realized she had never been there and explained that the park is bigger than Rhode Island or Delaware and is somewhat lacking in chain drugstores.

Having just experienced this, another word of advice: when dealing with mail order prescriptions and refills, don't cut it too close to your departure date. Should a Rx get lost in the mail, there are some hoops you'll have to go through, and a waiting period before the mail order drug company will consider the original order "lost," as well as some Post Office contacting. You don't want to have to deal with all this in the days just before your cruise.

This discussion reminded me of arranging for extra pills a couple of years ago through my Part D drug coverage plan. I mentioned to the pharmacy clerk that my supply would run out during our stay inside Yellowstone National Park.

Her suggestion was that I could arrange to get my refill at the "Yellowstone Walgreen's."

I realized she had never been there and explained that the park is bigger than Rhode Island or Delaware and is somewhat lacking in chain drugstores.

Your story reminds me of the time DH miscounted his pills. He tries to take the exact number he needs, with just one or two extras. (He saves a recent pharmacy container for each) His count was based on the length of the cruise, and he forgot the extra pre-cruise land days in Montreal (pre-Maasdam repositioning cruise). He went to the medical center on board and asked if they had his pills. They had one, not the other. Since he did have enough pills to get to Bar Harbor, their advice was to contact his doctor and have her fax a scrip to a pharmacy in Bar Harbor, which would be the easiest and least expensive option.

So in our last Canada port, we called the doctor, and we were able to get a supply of his meds. Since it was just about a week's worth and they aren't frightfully expensive, we didn't go through insurance. BTW, the people at the Rite Aid in Bar Harbor are very nice.

Hi Tom,

I can't question your reference but I need to say that if what you presented is the law, it is one of the most ridiculous laws I have seen. I would like to see a policeman anywhere in the US try to arrest me for carrying a month's worth of my own non-narcotic prescriptions in a monthly pill box. I’d be laughing so hard that my sides would split. It is just plain stupid.

Hi Sail,

Could you please tell me some of the countries you would be visiting that all pharmacies would require prescriptions for non-narcotic regular medications? I'm afraid that I have not come across many in my travels. I commonly buy several blood pressure, thyroid, cholesterol, and gerd medications during my annual cruises and have never been asked to produce a prescription.

Scott & Karen

On April 22, 2015 U.S. Customs & Border Protection issued a Rule about importing drugs purchased from other countries...

http://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-media-release/2015-04-22-000000/cbp-advises-travelers-entry-regulations-pertaining

It does state that you should carry prescriptions in their original containers.. But the important thing is about purchasing prescriptions for your personal use, which might be important to you..

Quote According to the FDA’s web site, the FDA is aware that a number of U.S. citizens travel to other countries to purchase medications at a lower cost. However, many prescription drugs available from foreign sources are either unapproved foreign versions of FDA-approved drugs or products for which there is no U.S. approved counterpart. In either case, these products are unapproved drugs prohibited from importation by section 505 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. In FDA's experience, many drugs obtained from foreign sources that purport to be the same as U.S. approved prescription drugs are of unknown quality. FDA cannot provide adequate assurance to the American public that the drug products they purchase in other countries are the same products approved by FDA. Unquote

These regulations also mention cancer drugs which are being imported for personal use into the U.S.

Another paragraph in it really is quite interesting:

Quote If a U.S. resident wants to bring in a controlled substance (other than narcotics such as marijuana, cocaine, heroin, or LSD) but does not have a prescription for the substance issued by a U.S.-licensed practitioner, the individual may not import more than 50 dosage units of the medication into the United States. Unquote

That to me means I don't need a prescription if I don't import more than 50 units of a controlled substance..

I honestly don't remember what kind it was, but something my Mom liked & used.. The ones you could purchase in those lovely boxes with a puff.. I haven't seen them in years & don't know if they still make them.. This was in the 70's & we stopped for a few days & cleared Customs in Hawaii on our way back from Australia..The Agent actually opened up the box which annoyed me no end, but I couldn't say anything at that time as I was on Company Business & didn't want to annoy a Custom's Agent..:eek:

In those days both Immigrations & Custom's was separated..

I remember the nice bath powders they used to package with the pretty 'puffs'. You brought back a sweet memory of my grandmother as she always loved those powders. :) Thank you.

<snip>

Hi Sail,

Scott & Karen

Please excuse me from not responding as I really don't care to list, on a public internet forum, the medications my doctors have prescribed for me. That's quite private information IMO It is not likely I could obtain them without a Rx in most countries and I most certainly don't wish to spend my vacation time seeking them when I could so easily avoid it.

Edited by sail7seas

Hi Tom,

Scott & Karen

Scott & Karen,

Laws such as these are enacted in an effort to control the illicit circulation of certain prescription drugs, which has become a major problem recently and causes hundreds of deaths every year (from overdoses). They are only enforced when there are suspicious circumstances. I doubt if a single senior citizen who keeps their heart medication in one of those daily dose containers has been harassed. But when the police pull over a car late at night in a bad part of town, and the young people inside have bags of pills, this law gives the officers something to charge them with. Without laws like this, the suspect could simply say the pills were prescribed for him. The police want to make an arrest right there, they don't want to have a lengthy investigation to see if the pills were actually prescribed.

So, laws like this don't actually effect normal law abiding citizens, But I think it is a good idea to comply when traveling, just to be safe. And who knows what the law is in other countries?

I was once stopped by a Mexican police car for failing to stop at a stop sign (it was foggy and I didn't see it). He immediately requested that I give him a bribe in order to avoid going to jail. If I had some pills not in their original container, I am sure the bribe would have been a lot more than the $5 he asked for.

Having just experienced this, another word of advice: when dealing with mail order prescriptions and refills, don't cut it too close to your departure date. Should a Rx get lost in the mail, there are some hoops you'll have to go through, and a waiting period before the mail order drug company will consider the original order "lost," as well as some Post Office contacting. You don't want to have to deal with all this in the days just before your cruise.

Great point. I ordered my extra meds and advised them I wanted them early and wanted some extra at the end in case there was a delay getting back. No problem, they just added a few days at either end. In fact, I already got mine and we leave in about 10 days.

We have travelled extensively for the past 20 years. To many parts of the world plus countless entries to the US.

DW has had a prescription medication for all but the last nine months of this period.

We have NEVER carried those pills in the RX prescription bottle and have NEVER been questioned by any border agent in any country. They have seen them during inspections but no questions. Exactly the same for our vitamin D, calcium, and vitalux non prescriptions pills. In a container all together with no label. Never an issue.

The only items we have had confiscated were a pair of small cosmetic scissors and one or two corkscrews (now that was a real loss).

Edited by iancal

I read theis thread with great interest, especially what is legal and what is not. As a good friend is a TSA agent out west, I e-mailed her to ask what their "guidance" is. Her reply is below:

Fred:

The LAW is clear. If you dont have pills in a marked bottle or container, and have no official doctors prescription with you, they are liable to be confiscated by customs or us. Having said that though, this is not something that we ever would do unless there were underlying circumstances. In my 7 years with TSA the only time I have seen any medications confiscated was either when the passenger was being a real *****, when they were trying to smuggle some other illegal item , or when there was a large quantity of the unknown pills.

Remember though, I work at an airport that has few international arrivals, and they are handled in another facility, so I dont see what happens there.

We have travelled extensively for the past 20 years. To many parts of the world plus countless entries to the US.

DW has had a prescription medication for all but the last nine months of this period.

We have NEVER carried those pills in the RX prescription bottle and have NEVER been questioned by any border agent in any country. They have seen them during inspections but no questions. Exactly the same for our vitamin D, calcium, and vitalux non prescriptions pills. In a container all together with no label. Never an issue.

The only items we have had confiscated were a pair of small cosmetic scissors and one or two corkscrews (now that was a real loss).

While I do keep our meds in the pharmacy containers, as I find that they take up so little room when they are tucked into the little gaps here and there in my carry-on, I agree that the likelihood of a couple heading to or from a cruise or other holiday is likely going to run into any problem. That being said, DW and I ran into an extremely belligerent CBSA officer coming home through Toronto last year. Had we been referred to secondary and met him there, I've no doubt that he would have seized any medications not in their original packaging or accompanied with a copy of the original prescription.

Simply recounting our experiences over many years of travel. This may indeed be the law in the U.S. No idea about the laws in the rest of the world because we have never been questioned.

I think that we tend to get inspected more often. It may be because we only travel with carry on and we very seldom have anything to declare.

Edited by iancal

Like you, we've travelled extensively & also put my Calcium & Vitamins in the same daily plastic container..But I do carry a copy of all our the prescriptions..

However, after reading the April 22, 2015 regulations memo from Customs & Border Protection,(The URL is in my post above) I might re-think using those daily plastic pill boxes when we do another cruise...:)In the meantime it's too late for this cruise now as I've packed all our meds in our carry-ons & don't want to repack them in the original containers now.. Took only one extra week with me, so If I lose that weeks worth, it's no big deal...I'll be sure to let customs Agents know we're carrying Meds when we return..

BTW In Canada I too had a small pair of cosmetic scissors confiscated when going through U.S. Customs in Vancouver several years ago.. Won't make that mistake again..

<snip>

However, after reading the April 22, 2015 regulations memo from Customs & Border Protection ,(The URL is in my post above) I might re-think using those daily plastic pill boxes when we do another cruise...:)In the meantime it's too late for this cruise now as I've packed all our meds in our carry-ons & don't want to repack them in the original containers now.. Took only one extra week with me, so If I lose that weeks worth, it's no big deal...I'll be sure to let customs Agents know we're carrying Meds when we return..

Is there some regulation that requires us to report we are carrying Rx medications? It never occurred to me I had to tell CBP or whichever Customs Officials wherever that I was carrying lawful, prescribed for me medications.

Is there some regulation that requires us to report we are carrying Rx medications? It never occurred to me I had to tell CBP or whichever Customs Officials wherever that I was carrying lawful, prescribed for me medications.

According to the April 22, 2015 Customs & Border Protection memo there is such a rule..

Quote “We want to inform the public about the requirements for importing prescription medication for personal use,” said Pete Flores, CBP director for the San Diego Field Office Unquote

The URL for the memo is: http://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-me...ons-pertaining

Here is the paragraph in this memo, which states this...

Quote In order to avoid delays and possible penalties, U.S. residents are advised to take the following steps: Declare all drugs, medicine, and similar products to a CBP official upon arrival to the U.S.; Carry such substances in their original containers; and Present a valid prescription for the substance issued by a U.S.-licensed practitioner who is registered with, and authorized by, the DEA to prescribe the medication.unquote

So I'll be a good girl & let them know we're carrying personal Meds with the prescriptions..

We never tell border agents, customs in any country anything extra. We do not volunteer anything.

We answer all questions accurately but we restrict our response only to the question asked. End of.

Volunteering info that is not requested can lead to additional questions/delays, etc.

Take the same approach, on advice, with the tax dept. folks.

I place a lot of confidence on the good sense, experience, and professionalism of border agents. Somehow I cannot see them bring out the cuffs if they discover that we have unwittingly omitted to tell them about a prescription drug. They have much bigger fish to catch than a couple of weary travellers. Yes, there is always the 'new man on the job' but in our experience that only translates into a longer line and perhaps an extra question or two. These folks are smart...they can usually tell the people that need some extra 'attention' as it were. Plus, they have to put up with public...no mean feat day in and day out.

Edited by iancal

According to the April 22, 2015 Customs & Border Protection memo there is such a rule..

Quote “We want to inform the public about the requirements for importing prescription medication for personal use,” said Pete Flores, CBP director for the San Diego Field Office Unquote

The URL for the memo is: http://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-me...ons-pertaining

Here is the paragraph in this memo, which states this...

Quote In order to avoid delays and possible penalties, U.S. residents are advised to take the following steps: Declare all drugs, medicine, and similar products to a CBP official upon arrival to the U.S.; Carry such substances in their original containers; and Present a valid prescription for the substance issued by a U.S.-licensed practitioner who is registered with, and authorized by, the DEA to prescribe the medication.unquote

So I'll be a good girl & let them know we're carrying personal Meds with the prescriptions..

I understand if the meds were purchased abroad but if you bought them in U.S. prior to traveling and are returning with excess that were not used, still in U.S. pharmacy packaging......... would they have to be declared? It isn't really importing; it is returning.