3 Ports

lbow2006

I'm sorry to be posting here, but I tried posting on the ports of call boards yesterday and didn't really receive much in replies and we leave Saturday. We are on a stricter budget than usual and are trying to avoid paying much for activities while in port, but do have a toddler so we are thinking mostly beach time at places with a bathroom and food that's pay as you go unless there's an amazing AI deal somewhere, haha.

We are hoping to either use a bus or go someplace we can walk to. We will have my son's car seat with us on the ship, but are hoping to avoid carrying it off at each port. We will also be picking up an umbrella stroller after we fly in for use in ports.

To sum it up. We are looking for suggestions on where to go in each port with a toddler while avoiding taxis and high costs if possible.

We are cruising to:

Montego Bay, Jamaica - We were thinking Doctor's Cave beach via bus, but were unsure how easy the bus is to find in port and is it really $14 round trip? Also is this our best inexpensive bet with a toddler? (Is Hip Strip right by Doctor's Cave beach?)

Georgetown, Grand Cayman - Heard the bus is $2.50pp and that it can drop us off anywhere basically. Is 7 mile beach best by bus? Suggestions?

Cozumel, Mexico - Heard to go to Playa Mia or Paradise Beach, but our cruise doesn't offer a bus there and I'm reading otherwise it's taxis to get anywhere. Any other suggestions/ways around?

Thanks!

I can only reply for Cozumel but a taxi is really the easiest and best and safest way. They will have them waiting at the port and they are very organized telling you which one to get in per where you are going. For me they aren't very expensive.......probably $12-15.....that was a couple of years ago.

You can easily catch the bus to Sea Grapes Beach (part of Seven Mile), in Grand Cayman. I recommend getting a taxi to and from Paradise Beach in Cozumel. I think the last time if was about $12. LOTS to do there, and a relatively cheap day. There are 'beach-like' areas at the pier, however, if you want to spend zero dollars and would be satisfied with hanging out there.

Okay, expense-wise they're not bad at all. I was just hoping to avoid the car seat, lol. Like you said that may be the best bet for Cozumel though. At least it's not a tender port! :)

Most countries outside of the US and Canada , don't require car seats. Many don't even have seatbelts.

Edited by Kamloops50

Thank you! Is Sea Grapes the best section/restaurant on Seven Mile? :)

Yup looks like we will need the taxi in Cozumel, but luckily I bought an inexpensive lightweight carseat for our son for the trip awhile back so it shouldn't be too much trouble to bring. Just better not forget and leave it in the taxi, haha.

Most countries outside of the US and Canada , don't require car seats. Many don't even have seatbelts.

Lol I know they're not required, but I'm not comfortable putting my son in a car without one. Hopefully we can find a taxi with seatbelts. If not I guess we'll hang at the pier. :)

Having been to all of the ports you mentioned, I know there is much of this info in the "existing" threads on those boards - because I browsed those threads to help my planning.

I recommend browsing the existing threads instead of expecting someone to reply to your thread. Besides, the moderators will move this back to there shortly anyway.

Lol I know they're not required, but I'm not comfortable putting my son in a car without one. Hopefully we can find a taxi with seatbelts. If not I guess we'll hang at the pier. :)

I'm not sure the name of the beach (or even how good it is), but I do seem to remember seeing a posting on the Cozumel board regarding a beach that is within walking distance of the pier. Sorry, wish I could be more help.

I'm not sure the name of the beach (or even how good it is), but I do seem to remember seeing a posting on the Cozumel board regarding a beach that is within walking distance of the pier. Sorry, wish I could be more help.

No problem at all. Thank you! I'll see if I can find the info. :)

You can get the taxi vans instead, that always made us feel safer when our son was a toddler. In Montego Bay we always went to Sunset Beach, all inclusive and water park for kids...very close to cruise terminal. Have no idea what the price is now. Jamaica is beautiful but not the place to wander around, if you get off the ship have a plan. Been a long time since we went to GC so no advice there. Paradise Beach is nice because it is cheap, can get crowded but we have always enjoyed our time there. Service is great, facilities are clean.

Okay, expense-wise they're not bad at all. I was just hoping to avoid the car seat, lol. Like you said that may be the best bet for Cozumel though. At least it's not a tender port! :)

The car seat is your choice. It is not mandatory in any of the ports. Don't expect to find any mode of transportation in any of the ports that can accommodate car seats. Your best bet is going to be to simply walk around the ports since you don't want to travel without the seat.

Edited by zqvol

Ok, gonna get flamed but here goes anyway. As somebody who spent a few years as a Paramedic, it is hard to see the difference between having a toddler in a car or van (or even bus) without a proper restraining device. The feeling of safety you get in a large van is based more on a "feeling" then a fact. In some ways vans are more dangerous then cars (vans have a tendency to overturn if the driver loses control). As to mandatory car seats, the laws were designed to protect infants and toddlers from parents who have no clue (we will not talk about parents that still carry infants on their laps in cars).

Hank

Ok, gonna get flamed but here goes anyway. As somebody who spent a few years as a Paramedic, it is hard to see the difference between having a toddler in a car or van (or even bus) without a proper restraining device. The feeling of safety you get in a large van is based more on a "feeling" then a fact. In some ways vans are more dangerous then cars (vans have a tendency to overturn if the driver loses control). As to mandatory car seats, the laws were designed to protect infants and toddlers from parents who have no clue (we will not talk about parents that still carry infants on their laps in cars).

Hank

Amen! Now if only seat belt laws would extend to the school bus .....