Interesting article about Royal Caribbean and Haiti

Tony O

Very interesting article. I knew they just didn't go in and exploit the area and the people, so it's nice that the article was written to further share the story.

Labadee is by far my favorite private destination of any cruise line. I'm always glad to read about improvements to infrastructure, activities, etc.

Hopefully times have changed. We haven't been to Labadee since 2006. the author of the piece attached to OP's post was very lucky.

DW and the daughter chose to go to the artisan deal outside of the RCL compounded area where cruisers do their thing - and, not surprised, they were harangued for cash to pay for trinkets they didn't want to buy. Having experienced this overseas while in the navy I chose not to go because I was expecting it to happen; son and I remained behind.

However, during the jet ski excursion, we were also hit on to pay for them taking pictures of us with the camera. One couple was getting their camera "held for ransom" until they forked a tip over to the picture takers, and this was on the RCL Labadee property.

So, unless things have changed since then - and I hope they have - watch your six while in Labadee. It's on the itinerary of our next cruise. We'll go ashore, but we will avoid mingling with the locals best we can.

Edited by johnjen

I guess I'm an unforgiving guy but RCCL is a company with a past that spends so much time trying to make up for their sins of the past.

As they were once the great cruise line polluter of the seas, now they spend an inordinate amount of time letting people know what they are doing to help clean the seas clean (Only after the U.S. Federal govt. came down on them big time).

And Labadee! Where's that ? Hispaniola of Course RCCL would say in their brochures and on their site. Until recently they would never say "HAITI" as that would connote all kinds of terrible things (like AIDS, etc).

I am a first generation American of Swiss decent. That said, Haiti and her people have such a special place in my heart and somehow the good that RCCL has been doing there recently, well it all feels a little disingenous to me.

Worldspan

Naples, Florida

(135 cruises and no more!)

I guess I'm an unforgiving guy but RCCL is a company with a past that spends so much time trying to make up for their sins of the past.

As they were once the great cruise line polluter of the seas, now they spend an inordinate amount of time letting people know what they are doing to help clean the seas clean (Only after the U.S. Federal govt. came down on them big time).

And Labadee! Where's that ? Hispaniola of Course RCCL would say in their brochures and on their site. Until recently they would never say "HAITI" as that would connote all kinds of terrible things (like AIDS, etc).

I am a first generation American of Swiss decent. That said, Haiti and her people have such a special place in my heart and somehow the good that RCCL has been doing there recently, well it all feels a little disingenous to me.

Worldspan

Naples, Florida

(135 cruises and no more!)

As long as a company is doing good things for the country does it really matter about the sins of the past? I ask not to be judged by what I did years ago when I might not have been as well informed as I am today. Judge me by what I do now. The same goes for the cruise line. I say keep up the good work RCI. The stop in Labadee was interesting, more so than I imagined.

Hopefully times have changed. We haven't been to Labadee since 2006. the author of the piece attached to OP's post was very lucky.

DW and the daughter chose to go to the artisan deal outside of the RCL compounded area where cruisers do their thing - and, not surprised, they were harangued for cash to pay for trinkets they didn't want to buy. Having experienced this overseas while in the navy I chose not to go because I was expecting it to happen; son and I remained behind.

However, during the jet ski excursion, we were also hit on to pay for them taking pictures of us with the camera. One couple was getting their camera "held for ransom" until they forked a tip over to the picture takers, and this was on the RCL Labadee property.

So, unless things have changed since then - and I hope they have - watch your six while in Labadee. It's on the itinerary of our next cruise. We'll go ashore, but we will avoid mingling with the locals best we can.

Yes, things have changed in 9 years. If you stay in Labadee as you are advised to do, there doesn't seem to be a problem. The only "locals" you'll "mingle" with will be the ones who work there. You need to watch your six anywhere you go. I'm from NYC and travel a lot by land and sea, so believe me I know this to be very true.

Labadee is totally fantasy....anyone who thinks otherwise is not well-informed. Haiti is a destitute, poor, corrupt place. The USA has tried to help them...but the "powers that be" take any money or help for their own benefit. You can't help them....

Enjoy the beach....feel sorry for the natives...until the leader of this country changes, there is nothing anyone can do.

I had a conversation with the island manager (I made up that title, he's the security head of the beach!) - he and a small staff live in apartments you can see on your way back to the ship from the beach area - RC has installed a water system, generators, and internet there for them, and his provisions are brought by ship. He said he will go into Port Au Prince maybe every 6 weeks or so.

Not sure what artesian market outside of the RC compound PP is talking about - the one on property, on the way from the beach to the ship? That's easily avoided. I have been to Labadee several times and have never, ever seen anyone leave the compound.

I have heard that the locals will take you to one of their markets if you are on the jet ski tour.

We save our disposable sling bags (from trade shows, etc.) and bring them with us - when we are there we fill them with fruit from the buffet (as it's about to be removed/taken back to the ship) - we give them to the Haitians we see - the band, the restroom attendants, etc. They are so grateful. My husband went to Haiti (mission trip) a few years ago, for 2 weeks. One of the things he mentioned was that it was really hard to get fresh fruit.

I hope the govt. changes- those port charges could go a long way towards infrastructure in the country - but I am afraid that, like the millions of dollars raised for relief after the earthquake, those funds are lining the pockets of politicians.

They've all been fined for dumping so what's your real problem with Royal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have spoke before with the gentleman that runs the Haitian Cultural Tour. An excursion offered by RC.

He is an American and employed by RC.

He pays the Haitians that work for him, in the village that you tour, $10.00 a week.

Don't be so quick to believe what you read or are told.

My daughter who has spent months in Haiti could give us a whole different perspective.

Edited by janetz

I have spoke before with the gentleman that runs the Haitian Cultural Tour. An excursion offered by RC.

He is an American and employed by RC.

He pays the Haitians that work for him, in the village that you tour, $10.00 a week.

Don't be so quick to believe what you read or are told.

My daughter who has spent months in Haiti could give us a whole different perspective.

What part are we not to believe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If conditions have remained basically unchanged since the early 1970's, the person in the article was correct, you DO NOT want to go on the other side of the fence, believe me.

My first cruise was in 1970 and one of our ports of call was Cap Haitian (approx. 20 - 25 miles East of Labadee). At the time, I was quite young, but still remember the extreme poor conditions and cruelty to the residents at the time. We were told that the average income for the people of Cap Haitian was $65 per year (yes, year). I would've considered this to be a fourth world country.

Law and order was maintained by the military. I witnessed people on the streets being whipped with short sections of rubber hoses for not abiding by their commands. Needless to say, quite a sight to see for a young person.

My second cruise was in 1973 where we docked in Port au Prince (the capital of Haiti). conditions weren't a whole lot better then.

The president of Haiti at this time was François Duvalier (aka Papa Doc). He was known for being the reason for Haiti's condition. I pray that things have improved for the people of this beautiful island.

Labadee is totally fantasy....anyone who thinks otherwise is not well-informed. Haiti is a destitute, poor, corrupt place. The USA has tried to help them...but the "powers that be" take any money or help for their own benefit. You can't help them....

Enjoy the beach....feel sorry for the natives...until the leader of this country changes, there is nothing anyone can do.

So true. All that said, I remember my parents sending me to Port Au Prince as a teen in '79 to do some charity work with a whole group from the U.S. I actually helped dig sewage trenches. Hated it at the time. But, taught me the meaning of real charity during a time when, like most teens, I was pretty narcisitic. Changed my life for the better....much better.

Anyway, seeing Haiti now, compared to then.....RCCL has done a lot. They've given people jobs. They've built up at least one part of the island. They've brought a tourist trade to the island. The straw and art market that's there now, would not have been feasible without RCCL bringing in tourists. And, while the entire island is still quite impoverished, they aren't nearly as poor as they were 45 years ago. Now, if their corrupt government gets out of the way.....

The Haitians are kind and, believe it or not, proud and generous people. They're more than willing and capable of taking care of themselves. Corrupt government and natural disasters are things they weather and come back from, over and over again.

Mango Mike....I was there when Papa's son, Baby Doc, was in power. He was just as bad of a ruler. I remember then military whipping away the Haitians when we went through Port au Prince. Like you, I was shocked to see that with my young eyes. I also remember seeing cruise ships in the distance that were docked. One of the "primo" jobs at th time was bing a guide, taking the tourists by donkee to the top of the Citadel. The Haitians are still trying to dig out from the level of corruption the Duvaliers heaped upon the country.

Edited by graphicguy