Princess Achieves Magic with New Theater Show

ctemkg

Princess has raised the bar for main theater show productions. Debuting on the Ruby Princess last week, a new show that brings a new level of quality entertainment on board.

While the typical Princess shows have included good performances of low cost royalty songs and dancing, most times presented very well by hard working singers and dancers, the new show Magic to Do brings Broadway to the seas for the first time.

Magic to Do is truly a mini Broadway production. It is a collaboration of many of the top people of Broadway fame, headed by composer-lyricist Stephen Schwartz (Wicked, Godspell, Pippin, and others). He heads a team of top notch show experts covering everything from stage and costume design, lighting, sound design, art direction, music production, choreography, air effects (yes..wind), and more.

All this comes together into a show that should not be missed. It is not a magic show, yet includes some amazing magic illusions. It is not just a vocal singing show, yet includes some top Broadway hits. It is a very technical show with the performers putting in much more rehearsal on this one than on any past shows. The show is very visual. Much more than just the songs or just the dancing. It is the sum of all the parts put together in a way that is stunning to watch and enjoy.

If you have seen many Broadway shows in New York, Los Angeles, or any of the many other cities with a large theater district, you will know what to expect. The high production value show. If you have not been to full Broadway shows, this will be different than you may be used to and a treat to experience. Very different than the usual Princess production shows of just singing and dancing.

Magic to Do includes some hit songs from Broadway musicals:

Magic to Do - Pippin

Before Your Very Eyes - The Magic Show

Corner of the Sky - Pippin

No Time at All - Pippin

Day by Day - Godspell

Popular - Wicked

Prestidigitation - Reluctant Pilgrim

Just Because It's Magic - Geppetto

Defying Gravity - Wicked

Beyond Belief - Houdini

It'll be Me - Houdini

Colors of the Wind - Pocahontas

When You Believe - Prince of Egypt

And others...

Each of these shows has their own subjects and story lines. The magic in this new show is that Stephen Schwartz has taken all these different story lines and created a new story and theme. So all of these different songs and stories actually flow together.

Ever since Princess switched to the 2 shows per night schedule (8:00 and 10:00) there are only a finite number of seats available to view the show. Depending on which ship you happen to be sailing on, there may only be enough seating for 2/3 of the passengers over the two show times. Not everyone goes to shows, yet there are enough seats to where it will be packed. If Magic to Do happens to be performing on your sailing, I suggest you get to the theater very early as it will be standing room only for both performances.

I sometimes do not go to the typical Princess Production shows. Been there, done that sort of thought. Yet, be sure to see this one. It is different. A much higher level of story, song, and experience. Grab a seat, watch, and add to the enjoyment of your cruise.

1162467216_MagictoDo.jpg.8a784283c7941293a29684e03077a7ec.jpg

Edited by ctemkg

ctemkg:

My husband and I could not agree with you more. This production is a game changer. We, as "selected Elites," were invited to the premier on the Crown. Stephen Schwartz was in the audience as was the cast of the "Love boat" TV series. Others were there from the Princess headquarters in Santa Clarita.

Both of us are musical theatre buffs. When it was over I said to my husband the same thing that you said....."this sets the bar higher for cruise ship musicals." I also said "let's hope that this is the end of musicals about the rat pack." We were each given a program like the one in your photo and a CD of the music. It was an incredible experience. We watched it again later on during the cruise when it played for the entire ship.

Believe it or not, there were some passengers that did not like it!

Judith

ctemkg:

This production is a game changer.

my husband the same thing that you said....."this sets the bar higher for cruise ship musicals."

Judith

You are right on the money with those thoughts. Without question, this level of production costs more to produce, yet the payoff to the audience, Princess passengers and customers, is great.

I too spoke with some people who were not as excited with the show. Their comments were along the lines of "it was not what they were expecting."

For the passengers who do not have much experience with Broadway level musicals, they should go see this show and keep and open mind knowing it is not the typical Princess canned production. Those passengers will be pleasantly surprised and entertained.

Is this a press release? Sure sounds like one.

Good question. That did not even occur to me as I wrote it out. No, it is just my take on the new show.

I like to give a pat on the back when it is deserved. I am a frequent cruiser and Princess certainly has many areas of the passenger/customer experience they could improve on. In this case, this show deserves a thumbs up.

Do you know what ships this show will be available on?

The show is just rolling out now so I would guess that it will slowly be added to the other ships. So far, it has been seen on the Crown and Ruby, possibly some other ships as well.

It is a very technical show that requires a lot of cast and crew training and rehersal. I assume Princess will not rush the roll out on this to be sure it is ready to go before the show it on a particular ship.

The show is just rolling out now so I would guess that it will slowly be added to the other ships. So far, it has been seen on the Crown and Ruby, possibly some other ships as well.

Princess does not put the same show on many of the ships. If they did, then cruisers would complain that the entertainment is the same no matter which ship they are on.

My friend Mike was actually the main performer (from what I can tell from the trailer - he is a magician!) and it is so cool to see reviews like this. :) we went to high school together and he has been working his butt off, so I'm happy to see that people were pleased by the show in comparison to other cruise ship shows. He is very talented!

My friend Mike was actually the main performer (from what I can tell from the trailer - he is a magician!)

Not sure if he was the same performer we saw, still let him know we appreciate all the extra training and rehearsal time the performers had to put in for this show. That extra work really shows.

Princess has raised the bar for main theater show productions. Debuting on the Ruby Princess last week, a new show that brings a new level of quality entertainment on board.

While the typical Princess shows have included good performances of low cost royalty songs and dancing, most times presented very well by hard working singers and dancers, the new show Magic to Do brings Broadway to the seas for the first time.

Magic to Do is truly a mini Broadway production. It is a collaboration of many of the top people of Broadway fame, headed by composer-lyricist Stephen Schwartz (Wicked, Godspell, Pippin, and others). He heads a team of top notch show experts covering everything from stage and costume design, lighting, sound design, art direction, music production, choreography, air effects (yes..wind), and more.

All this comes together into a show that should not be missed. It is not a magic show, yet includes some amazing magic illusions. It is not just a vocal singing show, yet includes some top Broadway hits. It is a very technical show with the performers putting in much more rehearsal on this one than on any past shows. The show is very visual. Much more than just the songs or just the dancing. It is the sum of all the parts put together in a way that is stunning to watch and enjoy.

If you have seen many Broadway shows in New York, Los Angeles, or any of the many other cities with a large theater district, you will know what to expect. The high production value show. If you have not been to full Broadway shows, this will be different than you may be used to and a treat to experience. Very different than the usual Princess production shows of just singing and dancing.

Magic to Do includes some hit songs from Broadway musicals:

Magic to Do - Pippin

Before Your Very Eyes - The Magic Show

Corner of the Sky - Pippin

No Time at All - Pippin

Day by Day - Godspell

Popular - Wicked

Prestidigitation - Reluctant Pilgrim

Just Because It's Magic - Geppetto

Defying Gravity - Wicked

Beyond Belief - Houdini

It'll be Me - Houdini

Colors of the Wind - Pocahontas

When You Believe - Prince of Egypt

And others...

Each of these shows has their own subjects and story lines. The magic in this new show is that Stephen Schwartz has taken all these different story lines and created a new story and theme. So all of these different songs and stories actually flow together.

Ever since Princess switched to the 2 shows per night schedule (8:00 and 10:00) there are only a finite number of seats available to view the show. Depending on which ship you happen to be sailing on, there may only be enough seating for 2/3 of the passengers over the two show times. Not everyone goes to shows, yet there are enough seats to where it will be packed. If Magic to Do happens to be performing on your sailing, I suggest you get to the theater very early as it will be standing room only for both performances.

I sometimes do not go to the typical Princess Production shows. Been there, done that sort of thought. Yet, be sure to see this one. It is different. A much higher level of story, song, and experience. Grab a seat, watch, and add to the enjoyment of your cruise.

This sounds wonderful and i hope it'll be on the Royal for our February sailing.

I have a question about the line in your review that I highlighted in red above.

That was the old show format that Princess changed several years ago. Are you saying they've gone back to that?

This sounds wonderful and i hope it'll be on the Royal for our February sailing.

I have a question about the line in your review that I highlighted in red above.

That was the old show format that Princess changed several years ago. Are you saying they've gone back to that?

No, Karen, it isn't going to be on the Royal. Crown, Ruby and possibly the Emerald only... The length of the show is, so far, limited to that particular show.

My friend Mike was actually the main performer (from what I can tell from the trailer - he is a magician!) and it is so cool to see reviews like this. :) we went to high school together and he has been working his butt off, so I'm happy to see that people were pleased by the show in comparison to other cruise ship shows. He is very talented!

What impressed me about Mike Misko was that he was clearly enjoying playing his character.

If his name is Mike Misko, then, yes it is him. He also put on an excellent solo magician show later in the week in the Explorers Lounge. Standing room only. This was the Oct. 10th. sailing.

Oops! Posted at the same time as JudithLynne.

Edited by mkitchy

They have not gone back to two shows a night. There were only two shows due to the length of the musical. The CD told the audience that the "run time" was 54 mins. I can tell you that it was 54 mins of pure entertainment!

If his name is Mike Misko, then, yes it is him. He also put on an excellent solo magician show later in the week in the Explorers Lounge. Standing room only. This was the Oct. 10th. sailing.

Oops! Posted at the same time as JudithLynne.

Yes it was Oct. 10. Did you hear about the power outage? All lights went out on the ship 4 mins into the show. It took a few minutes to get the theatre back-up lights on and another half hour to restart the show (from the beginning.) While waiting, we were entertained by the cast of the "Love Boat" TV show.

The funny thing is that many of us initially thought the outage was part of the show. You would tend to think that with magic. As the lights went out, all of the cast froze in place simultaneously.

We missed the magic show in the Explorer's Lounge, unfortunately. The magic in the musical was just jaw dropping!

I hope that this program is a nice start to the rest of Mike's career........

Judith