PARIS ATTACKS-will River Cruises cancel?

dcruisers

Yea! Thanks!!! yes I've got the window seat too(I always claim it because I like to lean up against the wall)

BTW, I see you're from Long Island. I was born and raised on Long island, I miss our great restaurants and delis. Oh and the bagels....yum

Invite me to Florida at the first sign of snow and I'll bring the bagels!!!!:D

I'm the OP - we still plan on cruising the Duoro next April. Will I be a little more uncomfortable flying to/ from Europe? Absolutely! But we will be vigilant and enjoy our second Biking River cruise!

;) you can probably travel as quickly by bike as a river ship. :D

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Enjoy your cruise! :)

Is that the new Plan B for low-water? No more bus trips!

If the water levels are too low Viking switches to Biking.....but if the water levels are too high they can switch back from Biking to Viking....either way somebody will be ticked off!! :D

Apologies to Jazz, CPT and dcruisers....sometimes the devil takes hold of my brain late at night and I just can't help myself!!!:D

We were on our own after Avalon cruise, and we were in Tours the night of the bombing. We had visited Chateau Chambord that day, and the night before in Troyes, France we had an amazing 7 course meal at Le Valentin that took 3-1/2hours. My DW said, all I need for dinner is a slice of pizza. So, we had a pizza, salad and wine next to our hotel. I was in the room watching the start of the France versus Germany soccer match. I was confused when the players quit playing, but I had the sound off because it was broadcast in French, and the DW was falling asleep. I eventually went to sleep. My wife told me the next morning that our phones kept her awake all night buzzing. It appears all of our friends were trying to reach us due to the news. We turned on the tv to get up to speed. We contined our Chateau visits to Chencenou and another before driving to Versailles. We stayed at the Waldorf Astoria next to Versailles, but the Palace was closed, we went into Paris proper after dropping our car in Versailles on the train. We saw no additional security on the train. Took the Metro to our hotel the Marriott Champs des Elysees. We had to go thru airport type security each time we entered the hotel for the next couple of days. Everything was closed, except some grocery stores and restaurants. This was Sunday. We had Paris passes which we were completely unable to use.

There was additional security on the streets and all of the closed famous spots. Local police, National Police and military.

I do think that the governments of Europe were on a suicidal path, by accepting the flood of migrants. I do think these things are going to be more common her and all over the world. The world is in a scary denial phase right now. JMHO. YMMV.

I have a trip to the UK next May, and a cruise to Norway. After that trip, I am going to evaluate my love of travel and travelling to Europe, in particular, is stronger than the stupid risks that one has to take these days to visit the Eiffel Tower.

jc

I was concerned about the airport security at CDG, but it was so easy to get thru security that I had a "delightful" 3-1/2 hour extra wait for our flight, which was later delayed 2 hours after we boarded due to a mechanical. We missed our flight home from Dallas, on the upside I killed the time between flights at the Centurion Lounge.

We took the Metro all over Paris. Things finally opened up the last evening we were in Paris. The shops Monday morning, exhibits and stuff late afternoon.

jc

I was concerned about the airport security at CDG, but it was so easy to get thru security that I had a "delightful" 3-1/2 hour extra wait for our flight, which was later delayed 2 hours after we boarded due to a mechanical. We missed our flight home from Dallas, on the upside I killed the time between flights at the Centurion Lounge.

We took the Metro all over Paris. Things finally opened up the last evening we were in Paris. The shops Monday morning, exhibits and stuff late afternoon.

jc

I'm a tad confused . . . nothing new. ;)

Your pp describes intense security in Paris and vicinity. This post says it eased up "Monday." How long was the high security in place?

I'm a tad confused . . . nothing new. ;)

Your pp describes intense security in Paris and vicinity. This post says it eased up "Monday." How long was the high security in place?

on Monday stores opened. On Saturday and Sunday only restaurants and rare grocery stores were open. Monday you could go into Louis Vuitton... All of the things were closed Monday until late in the afternoon when some things opened. Such as the Eiffel Tower. I expected security at the airport on Tuesday would be intense, and there were military in the area between the train station and the airport, but security was a breeze, we literally went thru in a few minutes.

I think I saw at least 15 military personnel at the Sacred Heart Cathedral with machine guns on Monday afternoon as an example of security at the various sights.

hope that helps

jc