PARIS ATTACKS-will River Cruises cancel?

dcruisers

We were due to sail with Viking on Nov22 but with the low water issues and especially The terrorists attacks in Paris we cancelled. Our travel agent was able to get travel vouchers for the entire cost of the cruise. We did forfeit our airfare but it was a bargain so not as painful as Business class would be to forfeit. We will sail in Europe again but waiting until 2017. Good luck with your decision.

Ok. If you think the threat of terrorism will not be an issue then. I'm sorry but I don't agree.

The threat of terrorism is not going away. It's been a part of our lives since at least the first World Trade Center bombing and has obviously increased as Al Queda and ISIS become more sophisticated and widespread. The odds of being involved in a terrorism incident are still quite small ... much smaller than a car accident or even choking on food!

But due to the ever present news coverage and "terror in our living rooms"... the horror of these recent attacks have struck fear in all of us (and resurrected the pain and memory of 9/11 as well). But if we give in to that fear..THE TERRORIST WIN!

Yes, there will be more attacks. There will be copycat attacks. People will die. Maybe even here in the United States.

We can all sit in our living rooms and never leave the comfort of our homes. Perhaps this week or even this year is not the right time for YOU to travel. Only you know your own comfort level. But to never travel overseas again? Not me!

We are scheduled to leave on Thanksgiving day for the Viking Rhine river Christmas market cruise on the Gefjon from Nuremberg to Frankfurt . Is anyone else doing that cruise? What are your thoughts?

Go! Have a wonderful time.

Have family flying home as I type from Paris. She said security was like nothing she has ever experienced before and she had expected that. But she did not plan for the length of time the crazy security took.... So plan on getting to airport much much earlier and bring as little on board as possible or not at all.

Most important thing to being to the airport is patience and a smile!

Go! Have a wonderful time.

Have family flying home as I type from Paris. She said security was like nothing she has ever experienced before and she had expected that. But she did not plan for the length of time the crazy security took.... So plan on getting to airport much much earlier and bring as little on board as possible or not at all.

Most important thing to being to the airport is patience and a smile!

My son is flying home from London as I type....he says security in London was very tight as well but nobody was complaining.

We ate in Budapest now, going on the Viking Tor on the 27th. We connected this morning through Brussels airport. We were one of the first planes in so there weren't many people about. We breezed through immigration in five minutes flat. Easiest we've ever experienced! Security must be present but the Belgians are exceedingly discreet. We felt very comfortable with it.

We are scheduled to leave on Thanksgiving day for the Viking Rhine river Christmas market cruise on the Gefjon from Nuremberg to Frankfurt . Is anyone else doing that cruise? What are your thoughts?

I don't know what I'd do. If you are least bit hesitant, then don't go. It will probably be fine, but I'd go with my gut feeling on this one.

While I do understand that we can't let these people win, I also understand where people would be hesitant to travel. There will always be those that travel no matter what and those that choose not to travel. I think it's entirely up to the person and there is no wrong or right thing to do.

We are not completely sure what we are going to do about our cruise. We are going to give it another month or two before we decide.

I don't know what I'd do. If you are least bit hesitant, then don't go. It will probably be fine, but I'd go with my gut feeling on this one.

While I do understand that we can't let these people win, I also understand where people would be hesitant to travel. There will always be those that travel no matter what and those that choose not to travel. I think it's entirely up to the person and there is no wrong or right thing to do.

We are not completely sure what we are going to do about our cruise. We are going to give it another month or two before we decide.

So now that the State Dept. has issued a global threat warning what kind of liability do the cruise companies have regarding cancellation...are they now obligated to return all monies paid and allow you to cancel without penalty or not?

I think we all have a better chance of getting mugged or pickpocketed.

We leave in 19 days for Budapest to Passau.

The bad guys want us cowed and afraid. Don't give them that. Life goes on. Honor those who've died at the hands of the bad guys by living a life unafraid. At the end of the day, no matter where or how, if it's your time to meet your maker, nothing you can do will stop it. I'd like to go with my head held high with a smile on my face and a lot of great memories made along the way.

Edited by Bailey Swedishfish

We leave Saturday for Munich for two days then an overnight train to Budapest to embark on a cruise from Budapest to Passau. I agree with much that has been said about the low risk of anything happening and would not cancel my plans short of an extremely specific threat to our itinerary or cancellation by the cruise line themselves. But I must admit that there is a bit more anxiety about this trip vs trips in the past.(especially after yesterdays State Department travel warning) With that said I feel once we are there and in the midst of our trip that anxiety will pass.

But as I said earlier in this thread that travel should be a tool to relax, enjoy new experiences, create lasting memories, etc... So for those who have trouble overcoming their fears or concerns and decide to cancel, change or postpone existing trips don't let others make you feel guilty or that you are giving in to terrorist. You are just doing what is best for you and your families. Now if I can only convince my inlaws that going on this trip is what is best for me and my wife(LOL).

So now that the State Dept. has issued a global threat warning what kind of liability do the cruise companies have regarding cancellation...are they now obligated to return all monies paid and allow you to cancel without penalty or not?

No! Call your Travel Insurance Company if you bought cancel for any reason!

Life can be dangerous and unpredictable. Unfortunately terrorism looks like it isn't going away. But as many have said here and in the press, the terrorists win if people react by hiding in their homes trusting no one. It is also important to give both moral and financial support to the victimized areas. We are still going to France next May.

I agree. We're booked for a Rhine Getaway next Aug. I'm not cancelling. I'm more afraid of driving on the NJ Turnpike than I am of terrorist activities. I'd rather die doing something fantastic, than cancel and get hit by a bus crossing the street. Anything can happen. People in a house a few blocks from mine went to bed last night. There was a bad fire and 2 of the residents died.

I'm not letting terrorists win.

Since it is an "alert", and not a warning/advisory, then that would not trigger the clause in many policies that would allow coverage for such cancellations.

Indeed, the very lack of specificity just suggests a heightened awareness on the part of travellers. This "alert" does not really expand the geographical locations, such as the Turkish/Syrian border where warnings are already in place.

Such wide-ranging "alerts" have been published before.

Since it is an "alert", and not a warning/advisory, then that would not trigger the clause in many policies that would allow coverage for such cancellations.

Indeed, the very lack of specificity just suggests a heightened awareness on the part of travellers. This "alert" does not really expand the geographical locations, such as the Turkish/Syrian border where warnings are already in place.

Such wide-ranging "alerts" have been published before.

I also read that statistically, you're twice as likely to be struck by lightening than to be involved in any kind of terrorist attack. Them's pretty good odds for not staying home!!

I also read that statistically, you're twice as likely to be struck by lightening than to be involved in any kind of terrorist attack. Them's pretty good odds for not staying home!!

As books such as Innumeracy and Freakonmics attest, probability is not a strong suit for most of us (including me).

Thus, I believe that all high schools should offer appropriate courses in statistics.

We will begin scanning spring cruises looking for some interesting offers as others may cancel. Is that the most likely time for lethal lightening strikes here in North America? Best avoid them![emoji1]

We leave Saturday for Munich for two days then an overnight train to Budapest to embark on a cruise from Budapest to Passau. I agree with much that has been said about the low risk of anything happening and would not cancel my plans short of an extremely specific threat to our itinerary or cancellation by the cruise line themselves. But I must admit that there is a bit more anxiety about this trip vs trips in the past.(especially after yesterdays State Department travel warning) With that said I feel once we are there and in the midst of our trip that anxiety will pass.

But as I said earlier in this thread that travel should be a tool to relax, enjoy new experiences, create lasting memories, etc... So for those who have trouble overcoming their fears or concerns and decide to cancel, change or postpone existing trips don't let others make you feel guilty or that you are giving in to terrorist. You are just doing what is best for you and your families. Now if I can only convince my inlaws that going on this trip is what is best for me and my wife(LOL).

Brian, I think you're right on with this post. Many of us will travel anyway, with a little (or a lot) more nerves than usual. For some, the anxiety will be too much for them to enjoy the trip, and these folks should not feel bad about canceling. Travel is stressful enough. Only you can make that decision.

I hope you have a great trip and everything is at least as much fun as you're expecting! Looking forward to hearing about it, so we can get excited for this itinerary next year.

Definitely! Isn't there some statistic that says most accidents happen within a few miles from home? So, I think that means you should travel as often as possible, right? ;) In fact, if you're never home, that would be the best odds!

[This is tongue-in-cheek; I know that statistics don't work that way] :D

We go to "LA" [Lower Alabama] -- February it was unusually cold, so this year we are starting out in Sarasota, Florida -- which seems to be equally interesting culturally and runs about 10 degrees warmer in the winter [and costs about twice as much to rent a similar house].

So cool, you're going to be in my neck of the woods :). Yeah! glad to have another New Yorker come over. Lots of people here seems to be from Michigan or Ohio, I love whenever I hear someone with my accent, we're such a minority on this coast, lol.

Tips: stay off I75 between the hours of 4-6pm, road construction has made the exits between Fruitville and State Rd 70 a nightmare. Take side streets instead :).

The State Department issued an alert, not a warning. A warning includes the admonition to consider not traveling to that particular country; an alert does not. (http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings.html)

We issue a Travel Alert for short-term events we think you should know about when planning travel to a country. Examples of reasons for issuing a Travel Alert might include an election season that is bound to have many strikes, demonstrations, or disturbances; a health alert like an outbreak of H1N1; or evidence of an elevated risk of terrorist attacks. When these short-term events are over, we cancel the Travel Alert.

We issue a Travel Warning when we want you to consider very carefully whether you should go to a country at all. Examples of reasons for issuing a Travel Warning might include unstable government, civil war, ongoing intense crime or violence, or frequent terrorist attacks. We want you to know the risks of traveling to these places and to strongly consider not going to them at all. Travel Warnings remain in place until the situation changes; some have been in effect for years.

I can't see cancel without penalty for a travel alert; maybe in the interest of good public relations a company might do it for a travel warning but I think lots of insurance policies specifically preclude civil war, unstable governments, etc.

We were due to sail with Viking on Nov22 but with the low water issues and especially The terrorists attacks in Paris we cancelled. Our travel agent was able to get travel vouchers for the entire cost of the cruise. We did forfeit our airfare but it was a bargain so not as painful as Business class would be to forfeit. We will sail in Europe again but waiting until 2017. Good luck with your decision.

I made my decision today and cancelled both my river cruise with Tauck and ocean cruise with O (Spring 2016) for close to 30 days in Europe.

I have not given up on cruising because I decided to stay closer to home and celebrate my 5 yr old Grandson's birthday on a Disney cruise for the whole family in the Caribbean. I will work on the airfare tomorrow and hope it can be changed to my British Isles cruise on Silversea for 2017. I am very happy with my decision as is my whole family LOL!

I would imagine they'll continue on as business as usual, and it's up to the cruiser to decide if they want to cruise or not. Maybe they'll offer something toward those that decide to cancel during this time because of what's going on. I just have no clue. We have cancel for any reason insurance. Like I said, I think this is a personal choice. Those that want to travel and aren't worried about anything happening ... well, that's their choice. And those that don't want to travel at this time ... well, that's also their choice. Our kids voiced their opinion on this topic today. That's what matters to me. :)

Edited by twinkletoes4445

I made my decision today and cancelled both my river cruise with Tauck and ocean cruise with O (Spring 2016) for close to 30 days in Europe.

I have not given up on cruising because I decided to stay closer to home and celebrate my 5 yr old Grandson's birthday on a Disney cruise for the whole family in the Caribbean. I will work on the airfare tomorrow and hope it can be changed to my British Isles cruise on Silversea for 2017. I am very happy with my decision as is my whole family LOL!

We are all different and have different comfort levels when it comes to traveling. The Disney cruise with your grandson sounds wonderful! Our kids will be happy if we cancel, and we most likely will cancel our trip.

We are all different and have different comfort levels when it comes to traveling. The Disney cruise with your grandson sounds wonderful! Our kids will be happy if we cancel, and we most likely will cancel our trip.

Thank you! We cruise twice a year and are going to South America for a month in Oct. 2016 and that area does not worry me. Just the hassle involved with security in Europe and feeling apprehensive leading up to the journey is not a vacation for me. I feel quite relieved and am happy with the decision and that is all that really matters.