PARIS ATTACKS-will River Cruises cancel?

dcruisers

Totally agree, we depart in 2 weeks for our Christmas markets cruise and have no plans to change unless airports are closed and hope to do the same next year.

Common sense caution important as always but life must go on as terrorism can happen anywhere at any time. I will not be a prisoner at home because of Isis.

Safe travels to all and our prayers for Paris and those so closely impacted.

Amen.

We go again to Paris and Normandy in the spring. No change of plans. No day is guaranteed and no place is "safe" as we've know it.

We're grateful for the safety of our son and wife in NYC on 9/11 when they lived a few blocks away. We're grateful for the compassion shown us when we traveled to New Zealand shortly after 9/11. We've always found the French people friendly and don't expect to find it different this next time.

As others have said, take your compassion and patience and sense of humor with you. We can't let the thugs win - we live in a beautiful world even if they don't see it. We do.

I very much agree with you. I have lived through the terrorist attacks that took place in London and refused to be beaten then. I will not be beaten now and look forward to my Seine cruise next August.

We too have a Paris to Normandy river cruise scheduled for next August...am concerned...but do not want to give in or give up.

So sad, that this is happening in our world...do not plan to change my plans at this time.

I cruised on the Viking Pride 2 yrs ago and being docked at the base of the Eiffel Tower was one of the highlights. My heart is breaking.

HOWEVER, last summer I was booked for the Imperial Jewels of China a week after after a ship was capsized by a tornado on the Yangtze. No official statement from Viking. I have put a deposit on The Grand European for 6/16. Again looking for a statement from Viking about security, etc. Nothing... and only one comment on CC about disembarking from Conflans?? Sorry, I don't buy it. MANY constant comments about water levels, rain dances, bus transfers, etc. but only ONE comment about about a major terrorist attack in Paris!!! When I tried to contact Viking via their website all I got was a form to sigh up for a cruise. When I'm paying many thousands of $$$ I'd like to know what measures are being taken to increase security.

Sorry to rant, but this line about "then the terrorists win" is nonsense. And I mean NON -SENSE! I prefer common sense.

Again, JMHO, but I'm mad, and worried.

We were in Paris in September Avalon Paris to Normandy itinerary. I am so saddened for the lovely people of Paris. My heart is heavy with grief. Before booking my husband had concerns about our security. He considered River cruises a soft target for terrorist. Hopefully this isn't the case...we now have to be so vigilant no place unfortunately isn't safe...

attacks in Paris are terrible acts of violence on innocent people, to frighten and who knows what. unnecessary waste of human life in a beautiful city.

crimes like this are difficult to avoid in fact we can all report murder of innocents in our own towns albeit perhaps not by suicide bombers with weapons. vile crimes by misguided expendable fools.

life is too short to not enjoy it. authorities respond but sometimes especially with travel it seems the activity is ineffective or too late.

it can be difficult to keep the news in perspective. carnage and disruption by 7-8 individuals now dead.

we will keep travelling we love France.

I cruised on the Viking Pride 2 yrs ago and being docked at the base of the Eiffel Tower was one of the highlights. My heart is breaking.

HOWEVER, last summer I was booked for the Imperial Jewels of China a week after after a ship was capsized by a tornado on the Yangtze. No official statement from Viking. I have put a deposit on The Grand European for 6/16. Again looking for a statement from Viking about security, etc. Nothing... and only one comment on CC about disembarking from Conflans?? Sorry, I don't buy it. MANY constant comments about water levels, rain dances, bus transfers, etc. but only ONE comment about about a major terrorist attack in Paris!!! When I tried to contact Viking via their website all I got was a form to sigh up for a cruise. When I'm paying many thousands of $$$ I'd like to know what measures are being taken to increase security.

Sorry to rant, but this line about "then the terrorists win" is nonsense. And I mean NON -SENSE! I prefer common sense.

Again, JMHO, but I'm mad, and worried.

If you are waiting for Viking to put out some sort of statement that they are able to keep you safe from terrorism you will not get it. Is your local movie theater or mall or restaurant making such statements? There is no controlling terrorists just like there is no controlling a tornado. Sorry to sound so harsh but as a New Yorker I've been dealing with terrorism since the first bombing of the WTC. I'm also a school teacher who has to practice lockdown drills with young children. This is the world we live in.

Your cruise is in June. Save the panic phone calls for a few weeks until Viking has time to deal with their immediate clients who are right now impacted by this awful tragedy. They most likely have passengers who are either in Paris or on their way via boat/bus and probably passengers flying into Paris (and flying out) and they have to make immediate arrangements for them. Let them deal with these passengers before they deal with passengers cruising in June.

By the way - are you also calling the airlines checking with them about your flight in June also? ISIS also has targeted planes....

Any one with businesses in Paris right now are incredibly busy dealing with immediate issues.

Edited by Coral

I am a bit concerned because our cruise originates in Basel on December 14 of this year and we are flying into Paris airport from Miami. Seems like that flight could be a good target so I am quite concerned right now. I have already paid over $3000 for airfare. Would hate to try to change our flight into a different city to connect to Basel. Any thoughts?

We'll be traveling to France for the start of our river cruise in 3 weeks, we have no plans to cancel our trip but we're worried that Viking will cancel us instead if these attacks continue. We're not afraid of any danger and no way are we going to let them(the terrorist) ruin our trip. I'm sure it will be much safer by then especially with the French army standing guard.

My thoughts and prayers for the French people in this terrible time

Edited by ThreeTwelves

I'm a teacher too - Middle School -YIKES! I'm simply saying that people who are taking cruises in areas where there are serious concerns will have questions. If I go to the movies it will cost me about $7 (I live now in FL - haha) My cruise will cost about $5K+ and I have questions. Yes it is next summer, but I have to PAY in about 6 wks. I'm not panicking, and airlines are a concern too. I will weigh the possibilities and I realize it is unlikely that I will harmed. BUT, flight cancellations, itinerary changes are things I think I have a right to know about.

Also, I'm a transplanted New Yorker and am pretty savvy. That's why I'm asking questions.

I am a bit concerned because our cruise originates in Basel on December 14 of this year and we are flying into Paris airport from Miami. Seems like that flight could be a good target so I am quite concerned right now. I have already paid over $3000 for airfare. Would hate to try to change our flight into a different city to connect to Basel. Any thoughts?

Similar to 9/11 and NYC - Paris will probably be the safest place on the planet due to all the extra security/screening the city/airports will have. I wouldn't change flights unless forced to.

I was scheduled to fly on 9/12 and was willing to do so but my flight was cancelled. I did fly shortly after that and honestly, I felt like it was the safest time in the air due to all the extra security.

ISIS seems incredibly unpredictable. A Russian plane was their previous target. My guess is they will target a different part of the world to scare another area. They know Paris will have extra security so they will go after another part of the world. As sad as that is....

That's a personal decision. In three weeks we will be connecting for about 12 hours in Paris en route to South Africa and had planned to take a train into the city for a day. Now our plans are to relax in the airport lounge instead. I do think there will still be too much tension in the city, however, we are not changing our flights.

Thought experiment for you: Would you have any reason to believe why that would be MORE of a target than any other western airline flight? Do you think that a flight in/out of London would be "safer"? New York? Amsterdam? Rome? Madrid? Or is this just a Paris=danger shortcut in thinking?

Trust me...a flight on a USA carrier in/out of NYC would be a bigger "prize" than one in/out of CDG.

Thought experiment for you: Would you have any reason to believe why that would be MORE of a target than any other western airline flight? Do you think that a flight in/out of London would be "safer"? New York? Amsterdam? Rome? Madrid? Or is this just a Paris=danger shortcut in thinking?

Trust me...a flight on a USA carrier in/out of NYC would be a bigger "prize" than one in/out of CDG.

Absolutely agree!

Even more so - a cruise ship with 5000 passengers will be more of a target than a Viking river ship with 250 passengers.

I have never been on a river cruise and will be taking one from Paris...I heard that there is no security checking on river cruises like there is on ocean cruise ships...is this true? Heard anyone can come and go as they please.

Yes - you can come and go as you please. I do the same thing when I go to a football game which has 90,000 people or a local concert. Think of a river cruise like a "small hotel". Even large hotels don't have you send through your belongings when you enter. Or a mall. Any of these places would cause more fatalities than a river cruise ship.

There are a ton of venues that don't require scanning of personal items when you enter. This probably doesn't stop you from entering them.....

Don't let ISIS' actions get to you. This is what they want. We have been through this before with 9/11 and we are stronger because of it.

We left this morning for our Danube river cruise. I am sitting in Paris waiting for my connection to Nuremberg. We had a comfortable, uneventful flight. No one here seems nervous or worried. It is a normal travel day. Have a great day everyone.:):):):)

We left this morning for our Danube river cruise. I am sitting in Paris waiting for my connection to Nuremberg. We had a comfortable, uneventful flight. No one here seems nervous or worried. It is a normal travel day. Have a great day everyone.:):):):)

Great news! Have a great cruise.

BUT, flight cancellations, itinerary changes are things I think I have a right to know about.

The reality is that they are not going to be able to tell you anything NOW about your plans for June. What are you expecting them to be able to say about a trip that is 7 months away?

They do not have crystal balls and you are looking for answers that are not there. You will need to decide whether or not you are comfortable making this trip as it will come down to that for all travelers.

I'd like to know what measures are being taken to increase security.

I think being blunt is probably the only way to go here.

I doubt Viking or for that matter any of the other river cruise companies are going to be taking any steps to increase security as there are no logical steps for them to take.

In the same way that there was nothing to be done by Viking or any other company selling to Western markets after the sinking of the ship on the Yangtze. It was a tragedy that an old ship, not built to current standards sank, carrying so many people, but there was nothing to be learned by Viking and the others who already did not use similar ships and therefore did not have the risk associated with that.

If the fact that there is nothing for Viking to do in the current situation worries you then I'm sorry to hear that, but anything they announce would at best be security 'theater', fake and done only for effect, not for any real purpose.

Right now, even with the current tragic events, you take a bigger risk driving in a car to the airport than you do by flying to Paris to join a cruise...

I lived in London in the 70's and 80's while the IRA were active, bomb explosions were just a part of the risks of living there. I was in Tel Aviv last year when the rockets started falling, we were walking towards a nice sea front restaurant at the time when the sirens went off and it made us 15 mins late for dinner, but that was the only thing that it changed.

If you worry about this sort of thing to the point where it affects your enjoyment of a vacation then explore your options to cancel or change your destination, but I'm not sure where you will decide to go that is going to be worth traveling to, yet also completely free of this sort of risk... ?

Step.state.gov is where you should go to register with the U.S. State Department before any foreign travel. This way, if there is any problem, the U.S. Government knows you are in the area and will help you. I always bring the address of the U.S. embassy in each country I travel.

I also subscribe to email travel warnings from both U.S. and U.K.