Pricing - you live and learn

Winchester Ranger

I already canceled and rebooked my cruise once and saved myself $200 in the process.

Now I see that although unavailable, my $2300 BY cabin on QM2 is now priced at just $1398, with category BZ still available at $1310 - so I could have saved nigh on a thousand dollars, twelve hundred from my original booking in fact.

If I ever do another TA I think I'll wait until much closer to the actual sail date to make the reservation - that kind of price drop leaves me with a distinctly ripped off feeling :mad:

The good news - if the price for the inside cabins goes any lower I think I'll just sell my house and live on QM2 :)

Edit - the Grand Duplex was priced at $62,000 when I made my original reservation, it's under $30,000 now.........

Edited by Winchester Ranger

**Update**

I just called Cunard and asked if there was anything they could do for me in my most polite voice, thinking that they would either:

a) Quote the cancellation policy (which they did)

b) Maybe offer me a few dollars of additional OBC.

The agent didn't even quibble and said simply "that's a huge price drop - let me get you right over to a supervisor".

So sure enough they did offer me OBC, but my jaw nearly hit the floor when they asked if $500 would make me feel any better. Are you kidding me, FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS !!

So I now have a total of $675 of OBC - lord knows what I'll spend it on, and that by the way is what I consider to be stellar customer service, so I will be sailing with Cunard again.

I already canceled and rebooked my cruise once and saved myself $200 in the process.

Now I see that although unavailable, my $2300 BY cabin on QM2 is now priced at just $1398, with category BZ still available at $1310 - so I could have saved nigh on a thousand dollars, twelve hundred from my original booking in fact.

If I ever do another TA I think I'll wait until much closer to the actual sail date to make the reservation - that kind of price drop leaves me with a distinctly ripped off feeling :mad:

The good news - if the price for the inside cabins goes any lower I think I'll just sell my house and live on QM2 :)

Edit - the Grand Duplex was priced at $62,000 when I made my original reservation, it's under $30,000 now.........

Good for you. However, I've been on cruises where the price more than doubled from the time I booked to the time of final payment. I've also been on cruises that sold out one year is advance of the sail date. There is no guarantee that prices will go down the longer you wait.

Hi Winchester

Well done love!

My solo inside for which I paid £1399 solo is now less than half of that, which again I will put down to life and learn. I did call a few days ago, and they were very sad but there was nothing they could do.

I shall enjoy myself whatever, but I shall call again in a few days and just ask, in my politest voice, whether that might have changed. If you don't ask, you don't know! I was happy with what I paid this first time, but if I were to contemplate the same winter crossing again, I too would wait till much later to book.

I am almost bursting with excitement now, have been buying frocks like a madwoman

Scarlet

**Update**

I just called Cunard and asked if there was anything they could do for me in my most polite voice, thinking that they would either:

a) Quote the cancellation policy (which they did)

b) Maybe offer me a few dollars of additional OBC.

The agent didn't even quibble and said simply "that's a huge price drop - let me get you right over to a supervisor".

So sure enough they did offer me OBC, but my jaw nearly hit the floor when they asked if $500 would make me feel any better. Are you kidding me, FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS !!

So I now have a total of $675 of OBC - lord knows what I'll spend it on, and that by the way is what I consider to be stellar customer service, so I will be sailing with Cunard again.

Last year we had just under $700 out and over $700 back and managed to spend it all except for $10. It can be done and that was not much drink!

That's a great result, well done. May I ask whether you booked in the UK or in the States? We paid the Cunard fare for two weeks in the summer and the price dropped hugely closer to sailing but we had fun trying to spend our $2320 obc, I had to hit the shops on the last day to get rid of $500 and found it quite stressful, of course when we sailed again in October without any obc I saw so much I wanted to buy.......especially a globe around the $600 price, if we get a good deal next year it still may be mine :D

That's a great result, well done. May I ask you booked in the UK or in the States? We paid the Cunard fare for two weeks in the summer and the price dropped hugely closer to sailing but we had fun trying to spend our $2320 obc, I had to hit the shops on the last day to get rid of $500 and found it quite stressful, of course when we sailed again in October without any obc I saw so much I wanted to buy.......especially a globe around the $600 price, if we get a good deal next year it still may be mine :D

Hi - it was a US booking. The secret appears to be to prime the first agent with your sob story, and then have him relay it to a supervisor.

They also sent me an updated itinerary showing the $675 credit. So my booking story so far is:

1. Made original booking about 6 months ago.

2. Canceled and re-booked to save $200.

3. Received an upgrade to a higher cabin.

4. Received additional $500 OBC.

I learned a lot, I hope this will help others.

Thats one of the benefits of booking in the US in the UK if you book and price decreases all Cunard say is "tough" your only option if its financially viable is to cancel booking lose your deposit and rebook at lower price.

Sadly, so true for UK bookings :(

I am surprised that the OP seemed to have obtained significant OBC so close to sailing. My experience is that after final payment date the fares drop significantly to sell out the remaining cabins and cancellation fees escalate at the same time. I figure there's not much reason for the line to offer onboard credit to a passenger whose only recourse would be to cancel and forfeit much or all of the fare paid.

Thats one of the benefits of booking in the US in the UK if you book and price decreases all Cunard say is "tough" your only option if its financially viable is to cancel booking lose your deposit and rebook at lower price.

Sadly, so true for UK bookings :(

Yes, but the consumer protection laws in the UK are stronger than the consumer protection laws in the US.

Please can I be on your table? I'm partial to a drop of white wine with dinner and it appears that you might need help spending your obc. :D

Failing that, perhaps we could meet up for a glass of champagne :D:D:D

I plan on blowing most of my $675 in the Champagne bar - feel free to join, the Veuve Clicquot is on me :D

Edited by Winchester Ranger

I plan on blowing most of my $675 in the Champagne bar - feel free to join, the Veuve Clicquot is on me :D

Winchester R...

Guess you're saying, "Drinks for the House!" What ship and dates do we find you?

BTW, how much does Cunard charge for a glass of Veuve Clicquot, and how do you pronounce that V.C. name?

T&C

Winchester R...

Guess you're saying, "Drinks for the House!" What ship and dates do we find you?

BTW, how much does Cunard charge for a glass of Veuve Clicquot, and how do you pronounce that V.C. name?

T&C

Pronounced verv cleeko - $80 plus 15% gratuity, best $92 you'll ever spend. Sail dates below :D