Bringing on 2 Bottles of Wine

cookmg40

My DH and I always travel together and carry on 2 bottles of wine. My son will be in a cabin with his cousin (both over 21) but they will not be boarding together. Is there a process in place to insure that each guest in that stateroom only brings 1 bottle of wine onboard?

We will be boarding Oasis in Port Everglades.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My DH and I always travel together and carry on 2 bottles of wine. My son will be in a cabin with his cousin (both over 21) but they will not be boarding together. Is there a process in place to insure that each guest in that stateroom only brings 1 bottle of wine onboard?

We will be boarding Oasis in Port Everglades.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nope. They don't check. They could each carry two and their chances of success are approximately 99.99999%.

:)

I don't think Merion Mom is accurate with her chances. Last time I cruise, we brought two bottles, and during check-in, someone inspected the bottles and recorded them under my stateroom number. Wasn't a problem, as we were only bringing two on, but if we'd tried to get away with extra, I think our odds would have been somewhat less than 99.99999%.

I don't think there's any standard procedure across all ports, though. Some might check, and others might not. And it may even vary by time of year (e.g. more stringent checks around spring break times of year).

Edited by Paul65

Yes we boarded thru suite security check in line...not many folks going thru. Astute officer running bag screener saw my 2 bottles in my carry on....then partner's bag went thru with 2 bottles....she said are y'all traveling together and asked for our seapass...busted! Lol. We'd done this before without any problems but was they regular security check in lines with lots of folks going thru. They confiscated 2 bottles but we got concierge to have security release them to us 2ns night of sailing so we still got to enjoy all 4 shipboard. :)

I don't think Merion Mom is accurate with her chances. Last time I cruise, we brought two bottles, and during check-in, someone inspected the bottles and recorded them under my stateroom number. Wasn't a problem, as we were only bringing two on, but if we'd tried to get away with extra, I think our odds would have been somewhat less than 99.99999%.

I don't think there's any standard procedure across all ports, though. Some might check, and others might not. And it may even vary by time of year (e.g. more stringent checks around spring break times of year).

Yes you're correct...inconsistent by port and care factor of agents running security machines....so we've found at least

Based on my experience the other day (albeit at Port Canaveral) there is still no formal process in place to associate particular bottles with particular staterooms.

If the two individuals are boarding separately, then I'm sure Merion_Mom's probability calculations are awfully close.;)

Edited by Booth44

A few weeks ago we were boarding at the port of Barcelona and there was a lady in front of the wine store telling paxs that everyone could take on two bottles each. When I corrected her about Royal's policy.....she stated things are different in Barcelona.

We still only took two bottles.....but we did take 6 large bottles of water.

Here's how it was handled in Galveston on our cruise last month. When the security officer saw bottles in my carry-on, he pointed to an RCCL agent sitting a table about 50 feet away and told me to check in with him. I did as told, and assumed this agent would want to inspect my bottles, but all he did was ask me my stateroom number, and then he put a check mark that number on his list. I was about to show him the bottles and he said no problem, move on.

Not that I would break the rules, or suggest that anyone else break them, but there was no communication between the port security offers and this guy checking us off the list. I could easily have walked right by him and not been checked off the list. Or, one of my wine bottles could have been filled with "something else". Or I could have used someone else's stateroom number. In Galveston at least, they did not seem very focused on enforcing the rules.

We did Spring Break 2015 on the Oasis out of FLL. I had two bottles in a backpack and put them through the scanner. When the agent saw them he sent me over to a secondary agent who checkdc the seals to make sure they hadn't been refilled and then marked me off a list. This was even going in the suite guest check in line.

Based on my experience the other day (albeit at Port Canaveral) there is still no formal process in place to associate particular bottles with particular staterooms.

If the two individuals are boarding separately, then I'm sure Merion_Mom's probability calculations are awfully close.;)

Close for sailings/ports where they're not really checking, but that's pretty obvious that your chances are near 100%, if they're not checking. But it's a fact that sometimes they do.

We've always brought two bottles per person (not per cabin) by not going through the scanner together. There are multiple scanner lines, and we just split up on different lines, and pretend not to know each other until we are beyond the checkpoint.

I've never been to a port where they actually checked off stateroom numbers or checked sea passes, though. That would change our success rate.

Edited by DonnaK