Freedom Class Changes

It has been a few years since we have been on the Freedom so I was totally unaware of the changes made during dry dock in January and I see the same changes will occur on the Liberty as well. Does RCCL plan to do this on the Independence also?

Couple more questions if anyone knows. Where are people going to dance now that the discos have been removed? Will it just be live music choices from now on? I realize that the disco was not always crowded, but it was fun and I, for one, like to dance. :p

Were the rooms on the bow installed in front of the windows for the spa? Does the jogging track no longer go all of the way around the ship. Do you simply jog/walk to a certain point and have to turn around go back the other way? Trying to envision this in my head.

Thanks for any clarifications and my apologies if there is a thread about this already. I searched and could not find one.

It has been a few years since we have been on the Freedom so I was totally unaware of the changes made during dry dock in January and I see the same changes will occur on the Liberty as well. Does RCCL plan to do this on the Independence also?

Couple more questions if anyone knows. Where are people going to dance now that the discos have been removed? In the Viking Crown Lounge, Olive or Twist Will it just be live music choices from now on? I realize that the disco was not always crowded, but it was fun and I, for one, like to dance. :p

Were the rooms on the bow installed in front of the windows for the spa? Does the jogging track no longer go all of the way around the ship. The jogging track has been shortened a little and runs just behind the new cabins but still makes a full circle Do you simply jog/walk to a certain point and have to turn around go back the other way? Trying to envision this in my head.

Thanks for any clarifications and my apologies if there is a thread about this already. I searched and could not find one.

:):)

Edited by ryano

I haven't seen Royal's plans for Indy, but I would assume they are similar to what has been done to Freedom and what will be done to Liberty.

Disco function is up in Viking Crown. Windows in front of the spa are gone. The jogging track is still continuous, but is shorter as it passes aft of the new staterooms.

Edited by clarea

I haven't seen Royal's plans for Indy, but I would assume they are similar to what has been done to Freedom and what will be done to Liberty.

Disco function is up in Viking Crown. Windows infront of the spa are gone. The jogging track is still continuous, but is shorter as it passes aft of the new staterooms.

Cool, so they will have dancing and disco/dance music up there?

I could imagine that will not be very popular amongst some folks. I remember a couple of cruises ago when we were in the Viking Crown and Frank asked for a Mango Lava Flow and the bartender said she had to go make it in the back because someone complained that the blender was too loud :) If they think THAT was loud . . . :D

I wonder if anyone has pictures of the new rooms, because I am still trying to picture rooms just "stuck" out on the deck??? Obviously, I am not an engineer or architect :)

Edited by Charger2008

Cool, so they will have dancing and disco/dance music up there?

On Freedom, the silent disco was held there a long with what seemed like nightly dancing every night. There was a DJ every time I went up there at night.

I answered wrong about the spa windows. I didnt go in the spa. The scenic views from the gym should still be there. I thought thats what you are talking about.

Edited by ryano

On Freedom, the silent disco was held there a long with what seemed like nightly dancing every night. There was a DJ every time I went up there at night.

I answered wrong about the spa windows. I didnt go in the spa. The scenic views from the gym should still be there.

WHEW, glad they left those, that would have made it quite dark and uninviting in there :)

Couple more questions if anyone knows. Where are people going to dance now that the discos have been removed? Will it just be live music choices from now on? I realize that the disco was not always crowded, but it was fun and I, for one, like to dance. :p

Were the rooms on the bow installed in front of the windows for the spa? Does the jogging track no longer go all of the way around the ship. Do you simply jog/walk to a certain point and have to turn around go back the other way? Trying to envision this in my head.

I can confirm that the running track (don't call me a jogger :D) was cut off, but its still a full circle. I think from questionable memory that it went from 5 laps to a mile to 6.X laps per mile. I'm a sadistic marathoner, so I really miss battling 50mph head winds as you approached the bow, but that is no more. But I still prefer the open air running to the claustrophobic, but bigger track on the Oasis class.

In this pic my wife is standing on the stairs going up above the new rooms. The track use to continue straight forward around the bow, but now turns here.

trackendshere.jpg

Edited by BillOh

I can confirm that the running track (don't call me a jogger :D) was cut off, but its still a full circle. I think from questionable memory that it went from 5 laps to a mile to 6.X laps per mile. I'm a sadistic marathoner, so I really miss battling 50mph head winds as you approached the bow, but that is no more. But I still prefer the open air running to the claustrophobic, but bigger track on the Oasis class.

In this pic my wife is standing on the stairs going up above the new rooms. The track use to continue straight forward around the bow, but now turns here.

trackendshere.jpg

If you see me running, you might want to do the same because it means something is chasing me as I do not run or jog. I might scamper but that is about it :)

Thanks for the picture :)

Edited by Charger2008

The new cabins on deck 12 are nice, and some even have a tiny balcony. It is what they did above them on 13 forward that I don't like. That area used to be a nice quiet and cozy deck to sit in the sun and read. Now it is like a open empty parking lot with no character since they had to extend the roof over those cabins. It would seem they could use that open area for something other than wasted deck space.

The new cabins on deck 12 are nice, and some even have a tiny balcony. It is what they did above them on 13 forward that I don't like. That area used to be a nice quiet and cozy deck to sit in the sun and read. Now it is like a open empty parking lot with no character since they had to extend the roof over those cabins. It would seem they could use that open area for something other than wasted deck space.

Thanks for that info as I was wondering what they used as a ceiling for those rooms. Personally, I think it is a shame that they are doing away with so many public areas simply to add more rooms and thus increase their revenue stream. They have enough mega ships and should have left the Freedom class as it was. But, hey, no one in corporate checked with me first :D

Thanks for that info as I was wondering what they used as a ceiling for those rooms. Personally, I think it is a shame that they are doing away with so many public areas simply to add more rooms and thus increase their revenue stream. They have enough mega ships and should have left the Freedom class as it was. But, hey, no one in corporate checked with me first :D

Me either...the nerve of them!! :eek: ;) :p

I guess Im the oddball that actually likes the new look of the deck 12 cabins (those cabins are REALLY nice!) and the fact they took out the Crypt and put in Sabor and a few more cabins. of course that comes with a drawback in that there are more people on board now but Crypt seemed like wasted space. I went in there many times at night back in 2012 and the place was practically deserted. At least with the "nightclub" being moved to the VCL, there is a good chance we wont lose access to the VCL. :)

Edited by ryano

I guess Im the oddball that actually likes the new look of the deck 12 cabins (those cabins are REALLY nice!) and the fact they took out the Crypt and put in Sabor and a few more cabins. of course that comes with a drawback in that there are more people on board now but Crypt seemed like wasted space. I went in there many times at night back in 2012 and the place was practically deserted. At least with the "nightclub" being moved to the VCL, there is a good chance we wont lose access to the VCL. :)

At least we will always have our vow renewal picture taken at the entrance to the Crypt :)

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/1910194_18283541161_2989_n.jpg?oh=10e617de690b6b1926c305db8abfa82e&oe=56E6F4FE

I agree...I thought the Crypt was creepy! Dark and dreary, and was one of the worst places ever to hold a Meet and Mingle on one Freedom cruise I was on.

Unfortunately the new Mexican restaurant they put in where the Crypt was does not seem to be packing them in. Not many interested in paying specialty restaurant prices for Mexican food, and the dark closed in area does not give it much character either.

I believe they are removing the CL and replacing it with a Suite Lounge on Liberty. I don't know if that will be the plan for ID also.

Kind of figured that was coming, with the start of the changes being the three drink vouchers they introduced to relieve crowding. Probably going to be the case on all ships soon. The CL is just too busy with so many turning D+. That lounge is tiny and closed in anyway. I really prefer the DL with the open view, though that lounge is also getting so busy now they so that they have been offering an overflow in the card rooms, which are not very comfortable.

Edited by island lady

We love Sabor. We did on Navigator and Oasis. The food quality is very good. It will be interesting to see if they do the specialty dining or the ala carte pricing. We had guacamole and shared the $20 tasting menu on Oasis and it was still more than enough food!

Yep - just noticed that Liberty has moved the Concierge Lounge and changed it to a Suite Lounge. Dang it - we were about to book a junior suite. Now I'm going to have to give that Grand Suite a second thought. :D

We love Sabor. We did on Navigator and Oasis. The food quality is very good. It will be interesting to see if they do the specialty dining or the ala carte pricing. We had guacamole and shared the $20 tasting menu on Oasis and it was still more than enough food!

Yep - just noticed that Liberty has moved the Concierge Lounge and changed it to a Suite Lounge. Dang it - we were about to book a junior suite. Now I'm going to have to give that Grand Suite a second thought. :D

Oasis class ships have a la carte pricing for Sabor while Freedom and Voyager class ships have the set fee. I would not expect that to change as Sabor on Oasis class is definitely a more casual experience than you get on Freedom and Voyager class ships.