Whispering up the Amazon

Master Echo

Echo the enthusiastic kudos for Master Echo's delightful postings (special thanks for passing our warm regards along to Ana). Also, passing on hearty thanks to Octoberkat and mainsd for their posts (and links to FB pix respectively)). Safe travels home all.

Thank you the reports brought back wonderful memories of our Amazon cruise.I think the lack of animals is because of the number of people crashing through the jungle.We went to an Amazon lodge in the dry season and with only 6 people-2 being local guides-I saw a lot of the wildlife.Flora though is seasonal.

Simona is one of our favourites.Met her many times as a waitress on the Explorer before catching up with her in July on the Cloud in her new role.

Thanks Master Echo for your detailed reporting, it was a pleasure reading your posts.

Glad to hear that Clive is staying on-board for the World Cruise, he is such a nice guy.

The score received by the 'Voices' was the highest so far across the fleet, I think they were all very proud!

Hope you had a safe journey home.

Dear all,

Thanks to all for your kind responses to my trip reports.

As a by the way, two senior officers independently told us that SS are busy organising the personnel who will sail on the Muse. Apparently the Captain will be Captain Zanello.

Kindest regards to all

Master Echo

First, for Duct Tape, Clive is delighted to be asked to stay on board for the whole of the World cruise.

A few words about the senior staff. The captain was Luigi, the Hotel Director was Martin ( who is well liked by his juniors and extremely good company). Vicky was the cruise director, this being her second contract as such, having previously been an entertainer on board. She is American, vivacious and trying hard to get to grips with the role, succeeding admirably, though a little nervous at first. Her one woman show "Ship Happens" which is semi autobiographical was very well received, and was both comedic and musical. The F & B, Nicolas, a delightful Frenchman, was far more visible than any other with whom we have sailed. Sergio was the RM and managed his team very well. Ana and Simona were the international hostesses, the former comes to the end of her contract on the 14th, after that ?????? Wes, we passed on your kind comments to Ana, and she remembers Ida and you very well and hopes all is okay with you both.

The entertainers all disembarked on the 7th as we did. However the three male singers are going to join the Shadow in January 2016. Interestingly after disembarkation, we heard the six of them obtained an average score of 9.47 out of 10 in their ratings from the passenger comment forms from the cruise before ours. Needless to say they were highly delighted.

We felt that the standard of food and service was as high as any previously, as also was the entertainment. As mentioned before the new menus have gone down very well, and despite the "always available" not appearing on the menu, they are in fact still obtainable at dinner. This encompasses the room service menu, and the Pool Grill dinner menu.

October Kat, sorry we did not have the chance to talk to you whilst queuing for immigration at Barbados, and do hope that you have enjoyed your extended stay here, and you have a safe journey home. Hopefully we can meet again on another cruise.

We learned that two Norwegians among a group who did an SS tour on disembarkation day, had their luggage stolen at Barbados airport. The party had been dropped at the airport as usual, well in advance of check-in, and everyone's luggage was assembled together adjacent to the road. The Norwegians then noticed their two cases had gone missing and were left distraught - they were flying out yesterday for a week to Miami before going back home to Stavanger!! This shows how vigilant one needs to be.

On a lighter note, we have always commented on how soft SS toilet paper is -feeling more like cotton wool, and it is thus to handle the special toilet system. At the beginning of the cruise it was as remembered, but half way through, it changed to a two sided variant. One side was smooth and the reverse had knobbly bits which could act as an exfoliant, should you pick the wrong side!! Luckily before disembarking it had changed back - maybe something special for the Amazon!!

A brief word about the climate. The Caribbean ports had temperatures in the low 80's as expected, however it was a little early for consistent and stable weather, hence the rain we experienced in St George's Grenada. Our Amazon visit came at the tail end of the dry season, but humidity was reportedly typically as over 80%. Daytime highs seemed to peak at around 100F in Manaus, and one deck steward told us that on pool deck on the 30th November it was over 110F! Even at 11.30pm it was still 90F!

Passengers participating in jungle treks were disappointed with the amount of visible flora and fauna due to the heat, and only one of the famous water lilies had survived. Unlike on Mr Fudge's trip last year, Sir and Madame had no problems with biting insects. This could have been due to the very high standard of protection adopted, though others were dressed in shorts and T-shirt, and didn't report adverse effects. Better safe and sorry, however we too relaxed the cover up regime in Santarem and from Manaus onwards, but we still used 50% deet repellant. Some people had suggested that the overnights in Manaus would result in "lock down" with the shutting of the Pool Grill after dark, and balconies being out of bounds. A few days before reaching Manaus we therefore asked the F & B - Nicolas whether this would be the case. Apparently a local evironmental adviser said that this would not be necessary due to the time of the year, being the dry season. It therefore seems you either have no restrictions, but sightings of animals etc would be less than in the earlier part of the year, but the insects would be more prevalent.

The last three days were at sea, and once out into the Atlantic, the wind blew and the rains came, and quite a few people were ill. We were more fortunate as we neared the Caribbean islands.

In conclusion this proved to be a highly memorable cruise for all the reasons described previously, and also because of the general bonhomie amongst the passengers. If the reports rekindled happy memories amongst CC members, and serves as an aid to those considering such a cruise, then the considerable time and effort will have been worthwhile.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Wondeful review and Chris and I agree with you wholeheartedly. Lovely to meet you both. Look us up if you are in Vancouver.

Master Echo -

Thanks for the update on the Muse. We sailed with Captain Zanello on the Spirit last spring in the South Pacific and thought he was wonderful. The camaraderie among the officers has never been better. His noontime lectures were great. It's fun to hear an Italian speak with an Australian accent.

Congratulations to Captain Zanello. Now we have a reason to sail on the Muse.

• 1 month later...

We've been home well over a month from our Amazon cruise aboard Silversea Whisper. This was our second cruise after 2015's January's 10-day Regent Western Caribbean jaunt.

Whisper was a better voyage all around. We thought Whisper furnishings on the fusty side yet comfortable and spacious with truly outstanding spectacular service. Our voyage was not close to full so there was plenty room for roaming. We especially loved the observation lounge which was heaven incarnate.

That, for me, is part and parcel of luxury (I bite my tongue because, well, you know why, and if you don't it shortly will rear its head). I'm not dithering at will here but want to say:

Cruising isn't everyone's cup of tea and I wanted to love it. I do so adore being at sea. You don't know until you've voyaged a time or two. I loved as a child sailing from NYC to Panama, then, panama to New Orleans. Kids easily are impressed and amused.

I wanted my husband to have the experience of being at sea so we booked our first cruise together aboard Regent's Navigator, ten days round trip Miami. And that was fun although expectations were not met. Our second cruise together was 17-days Barbados to Barbados, sailing up, then back down the Amazon. Loved Silversea; would return to an Amazon journey when hell freezes over which it may eventually do considering climate change.

Jim and I want to maximize our time traveling because, well, you know, all that stuff that can go wrong when one gets older? Right, Jim has a lot of that. And, I am scurrying fast as I can to make things right for him and make travel for us both.

Now then, folk here don't talk much explicitly about money. But I will do so:

Our 10-day January cruise was $25K for master suite on Navigator, plus $4K first-class air SFO/MIA/SFO + one day hotel MIA. So, say $32k including incidentals and transfers. Yes, indeed, some of that could have been done cheaper but that is not luxury for us. The cruise broke out $2,500 a night.

Earlier the previous year we enjoyed a week (seven nights) at Twin Farms (http://www.twinfarms.com) iin Vermont at peak leaf season in October. Best accommodations in cottage, plus three truly gourmet meals, fab service, etc. Nightly cost $2,200-2,300. Many here will know this venue for the height of luxury it is in the U.S. (in Paris I recommend Le Bristol http://www.lebristolparis.com/eng/home/). To cut short this disquisition, true luxury is not attainable afloat.

Before I am consigned to the lower depths of hell, let's acknowledge luxury ashore and luxury shipboard are two very different aspects of that norm. I prefer the former over the latter after sampling both.

Jim has Alzheimer's so we will be maximizing travel for as long as we can. Probably not another cruise although but maybe Norwegian fjords in 2017.

I think it is interesting to discuss cruising and land travel, together with the notion of luxury.

Thank you Octoberkat for sharing. This brought tears to my eyes and I wish both you and Jim the best.

I will be on the Whisper for a B2B May 2017 and appreciate and trust your feedback. I am certain we will enjoy it and they do have wonderful itineraries, which is the reason we travel.

If you return to VT, our Summer home is in Upstate NY on a beautiful lake. Give us a ring:)

let's acknowledge luxury ashore and luxury shipboard are two very different aspects of that norm. I prefer the former over the latter after sampling both. Jim has Alzheimer's so we will be maximizing travel for as long as we can. Probably not another cruise although but maybe Norwegian fjords in 2017. I think it is interesting to discuss cruising and land travel, together with the notion of luxury.

Appreciate this excellent sharing by BOTH Master Echo and OctoberKat. Great details bringing back nice memories from Master Echo for along the amazing Amazon River.

Yes, as properly noted, "Cruising isn't everyone's cup of tea". There are various pro/con trade-offs with land . . . versus . . . cruise options. Both can work well. Glad that you are testing your options and being able to travel and experience the many wonders of life. Let us know if you need any tips, ideas, etc. in connection with your Norway fjord adventures in 2017. That is an amazing part of the world. This is one part of the world where cruising makes your "logistics" much easier and allows seeing and doing more in an easier manner. Good luck for you and your husband.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 193,145 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We've been home well over a month from our Amazon cruise aboard Silversea Whisper. This was our second cruise after 2015's January's 10-day Regent Western Caribbean jaunt. . . . .

[snip]

Before I am consigned to the lower depths of hell, let's acknowledge luxury ashore and luxury shipboard are two very different aspects of that norm. I prefer the former over the latter after sampling both.

Jim has Alzheimer's so we will be maximizing travel for as long as we can. Probably not another cruise although but maybe Norwegian fjords in 2017.

I think it is interesting to discuss cruising and land travel, together with the notion of luxury.

Thank you for your thoughts and frankness, OctoberKat, and I wish you and Jim travel and life enjoyment, be it on land or sea, as long as possible. I can definitely relate to the issue of trying to maximize travel schedules when one knows there are health problems that will at some point seriously limit options. "Carpe Diem", if you can, and as best you can, and create memories! Cruising, watching the waves go by, on and on, somehow typically inspires me to temporarily believe that as long as one keeps moving like that, good things, and life, will never end, very calming.

I have considered adding the Amazon to my bucket list, but was worried it would be too hot and humid for me to tolerate excursions (I can't even tolerate a trip to Houston).

Had you not posted, on a prior, distant thread somewhere on CC, that you had booked a Seabourn Quest cruise to the fjords summer 2016? Have you cancelled?

If you want to enjoy Norway in land luxury, a good friend of mine did a Tauck tour last summer to Norway, and has not stopped raving about it, scenery, food, and service. Of course, she did get lucky with the weather, which can make a big difference.

Edited by Catlover54

Aw, spinnaker and portifinoitaly, you two are bright lights on these fora, appreciate your kind thoughts.

Catlover54 (are we so numerous?!), thanks to you as well. Yes, i did cancel the Seabourn Norwegian fjords cruise (within the window, no penalty). Also cancelled the Panama Canal cruise on Seabourn ($10K penalty, ouch). The right thing to do. We still will do the Nordics somehow; we have non-refundable biz tix round trip SFO-CPH. I really did want to try Seabourn but probably we will not rebook the cruise, or maybe we'd do that that Jim's is less functional.

Other travels will take us to Paris and the French countryside, for the third year in a row, Spain, Portugal, Cyprus, Greece, New Zealand, Fiji or Tahiti/Bora Bora. Next month we have a short respite on Oahu at the Halekulani, and in April, we're back to Barbados for ten days. We totally adored Barbados. Staying here: http://www.sandpiperbarbados.com

Catlover54, what made the Amazon disappointing is the pervasive brown have from deforestation fires. No blue skies, period. And the rampant smoke odor not to mention the brow waters of this gargantuan river. Yes i am an idiot for not knowing this ahead of the journey. The haze and odor are apparent as far as 50 miles out to sea, ditto the brown water. The heat wasn't an issue, for me, at least, Panama born and bred.

Edited by OctoberKat

I confess I was, and remain, ambivalent about posting my last two entries here, since the ostensible primary topic wasn't so much about Silversea or the Amazon cruise as much as the luxury cruising itself.

It occurs to me that there is a Luxury Cruising thread elsewhere on this site so I may repair thence. What fun is the occasional pomposity.

Octobercat,

I enjoyed your Navigator posts last year and your excellent style of writing. I quietly read and enjoyed your Amazon cruise posts, and I can only but admire you for your above posts. Every day is special and holidays together are to be enjoyed and you are so right to be enjoying them in the exact way you both do.

Have a wonderful time on your trips this year, hope you keep posting now and again as you just add that certain something to the cc board. Jean.

Octobercat,

I enjoyed your Navigator posts last year and your excellent style of writing. I quietly read and enjoyed your Amazon cruise posts, and I can only but admire you for your above posts. Every day is special and holidays together are to be enjoyed and you are so right to be enjoying them in the exact way you both do.

Have a wonderful time on your trips this year, hope you keep posting now and again as you just add that certain something to the cc board. Jean.

I agree, it is always a pleasure to read Octobercat's posts. Sneak in a few now and then, please:)

Octobercat, Halekulani is one of my favorites when staying in Honolulu. Each time I am there, I must have their coconut cake and the coconut shrimp. It provides my Hawaiian fix and then back to my heathy eating. Hope you have the opportunity to try them. Happy travels to you and Jim.

I confess I was, and remain, ambivalent about posting my last two entries here, since the ostensible primary topic wasn't so much about Silversea or the Amazon cruise as much as the luxury cruising itself.

It occurs to me that there is a Luxury Cruising thread elsewhere on this site so I may repair thence. What fun is the occasional pomposity.

While it took a while for your review (quite understandable), I applaud you for realizing that cruising was not for you. After all, cruising is definitely not for everyone and, IMO, cannot be compared to luxury accommodations on land (for obvious reasons).

Hope you enjoy you future adventures - wherever they may lead you. While I have found your posts "unusual", I do believe that you gave "luxury cruising" he benefit of the doubt.

I agree, it is always a pleasure to read Octobercat's posts. Sneak in a few now and then, please:)

Octobercat, Halekulani is one of my favorites when staying in Honolulu. Each time I am there, I must have their coconut cake and the coconut shrimp. It provides my Hawaiian fix and then back to my heathy eating. Hope you have the opportunity to try them. Happy travels to you and Jim.

Indeed, I am a sneaky sort. I would not be astonished to cruise again when Jim is somewhat less functional (that's OK, believe me, I talk enough for six people).

Looking forward to Halekulani. It's why we'll be on Oahu rather than the Big Island and Hualali -- been there several times but never have gotten the high vibe from it that others report; plus, the quid pro quote there is abysmal.

At the Halekulani, I have ordered a fresh lei each day, and a fresh head crown each evening. This constitutes the belated celebration of our 43rd anniversary. I may get Jim to lei as well!

Don't be discouraged regarding the Amazon, Sunprince, the river's gargantuan nature is sufficiently splendid and the burning area was small in one spot. In a sense I appreciated that spot because it gave me first-hand comprehension of at latest one ecological threat in the Amazon basin.

As the river narrows upriver we expect to see more of interest including pink dolphins. We have a birding expedition Sunday outside Manaus.

Hoping Master Echo will weigh in to apprise us of his adventures and thoughts.

Sunprince, I apologize for my naive post upthread. Honestly the Amazon was a disappointment. Our halcyon moment was the sighting of several very pink dolphins, magical moments.

Otherwise it turns out every day is crowned by brown haze, you can't even discern if there are clouds. One doesn't even get a proper sunset. No blue skies ever.

The odor of woodsmoke from the deforestation fires is pervasive. The water is brown, always until you get up to Manuaus (where the ship does a U-turn back down the river to the sea) where the famous Rio Negro converges with the brown Amazon in at the Meeting of the Waters.