Need advice or suggestions re: refund/credit

Piazza1979

My husband and I booked a cruise, 2 rooms, for us and my in laws for this coming January

Sadly my MIL passed away last week. TA states we can only change names, we cannot get a refund because it is so close to travel date, final payments had been made etc.

We had not purchased our travel insurance yet (I know, I know - the one time we didn't do it immediately). Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions? Tough finding people who can go on such short notice :(:confused::(:confused::(:confused:

We do still want to go. We will not be able to find a single to go with FIL, so if we can find another couple to take his stateroom we would add him to our room (if he's up to going, but he definitely can't take the room on his own).

why can't he take the cabin on his own? You can't change both names on a double cabin

You will lose 50% if you cancelled now

Edited by SeaUs

We do still want to go. We will not be able to find a single to go with FIL, so if we can find another couple to take his stateroom we would add him to our room (if he's up to going, but he definitely can't take the room on his own).

First, call Royal and explain the situation. They have been known to bend the rules in a case like this.

You should check on the cancel penalty for you father-in-law's stateroom. You will lose the deposit, but maybe not much more, depending on the cruise length and date.

If you can find someone who wants to go alone, and is willing to pay the entire fare, you can change the other name on the stateroom and your father-in-law can be a no show.

Oceanview Balcony on Oasis, Jan. 16th sailing.

I don't know if he will be up to going at all, and if he is, he will definitely not be up to going in a room alone. It's a complicated situation and he is not handling things well.

I will see if my husband called Royal. I know he called the TA since Royal usually says they can't help us since we used a TA.

TA did not say we couldn't change both names. Hmmmm.

I don't know if he will be up to going at all, and if he is, he will definitely not be up to going in a room alone. It's a complicated situation and he is not handling things well.

I will see if my husband called Royal. I know he called the TA since Royal usually says they can't help us since we used a TA.

You can't ever change both

Have the TA see if you can cancel that cabin with no penalty. The cruise line is usually very sympathetic in cases like this. Otherwise, keep an eye on the penalty schedule, you can still get money back, here is a link to the cancellation policy:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=227&faqSubjectId=323&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqType=faq

First I would like to say I am sorry for your loss. I can certainly understand your FIL not wanting to go on a cruise and be in a cabin on his own.

As others have suggested, call Royal Caribbean and explain the situation. I'm betting they will allow a credit to a future cruise or something.

However if not, and your FIL wants to go in your room as a third passenger, see if you can find another couple to go. Put one in your room as the third passenger and the other in your FIL's room. Then when you get on the ship just have your keys changed at Guest Services and your FIL can stay in your cabin and your friends can stay in the other cabin. Changing cabins is never a problem, we have done that with friends and family to take advantage of certain discounts. You simply go to Guest Services and they can either issue a new key, or re-key your SeaPass. They don't really care who is in which cabin.