RCI Bed Help!

pixiestyx

I had a similar experience on our last cruise on Adventure. Normally I find Royal's mattresses very comfortable (I like a firm bed) but the bed on that ship was like sleeping on plywood. The third night I asked for a topper and the stateroom attendant said they weren't available, but he did do extra duvets under the sheet. That was better. I was thankful because we were on a B2B and I was starting to worry about not getting restful sleeps for the next two weeks.

There's a reason that mattresses are getting flattened. It's the same reason that more and more pool loungers and deck chairs and beach loungers are getting saggy.

It has little to do with RCCL.

I'm pickin up what your putting down!....5' 11 " 176lbs..............:):)

Just off the Vision of he Seas and the mattresses where brutal !!!! This is the first time I have ever NOT had a good sleep my whole cruise . Otherwise cruise was great :)

I agree - was on Vision last fall and was horrible. My parents had the disability room and the bed was so awful that my father could not get out of the bed without assistance. As my mother stated, how on earth do they think disabled people need a bed low to the ground? How do you get them up? They had a wonderful time, but are now deterred on making another reservation on a ship because of the bed situation.

Can't wait to see how this thread pans out.. Very subjective issue.. Why do you think there are such a variety of mattresses in most of the relevant stores! Some people like soft. Some people like firm.. Some people like hard.. When you are trying to cater for 2000+ different bodies there are bound to be some unhappy campers..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am just back from the 12 night repo on LOS. The mattress was terrible, even with the egg crate topper. I did not even request the egg crate topper so that says something. Both the mattress and the crate topper were thin and the line in the middle of the beds that were put together was obvious and uncomfortable.

Hopefully it will be replaced at drydock but that is still a couple of months away. Beds on all the lines used to be comfortable and the best night's sleep ever but with the cost cutting from all the lines it seems this is one of the places they are cutting back.

More power to you if you want to take a crate topper or air mattress with you. The day that I need take my own mattress though will be the day I change my choice of cruise lines.

Any reports/info on beds on the Radiance of the Seas? Heading out in a couple of weeks and interested to know if I should request a 'topper'.

We were on the Radiance this past summer and all "toppers" were removed due to some health regulations. Instead they fixed the bed with some blankets folded up which helped slightly but not great.

Any reports/info on beds on the Radiance of the Seas? Heading out in a couple of weeks and interested to know if I should request a 'topper'.

I was on the Radiance a few months ago. Didn't have a problem with the mattress ... the pillows are another story! I'm making plans to be a pillow packer on my next cruise.

We were on Independence in July and got egg crates put on the first night with no problem

Just got off the Indy and the mattress topper was already on our bed. It was delightful. I am off on the Navigator Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed for the same excellent results.

I just spent an o/n in a hotel room and my neck is still aching from the pillow...can't imagine what 12 days will do to me...don't want to carry a pillow from Canada to Australia, however. Fingers crossed...:o

I was on the Radiance a few months ago. Didn't have a problem with the mattress ... the pillows are another story! I'm making plans to be a pillow packer on my next cruise.

I just spent an o/n in a hotel room and my neck is still aching from the pillow...can't imagine what 12 days will do to me...don't want to carry a pillow from Canada to Australia, however. Fingers crossed...:o

I'm not carrying the pillows ... I'm shipping them. The firm I work for has an office in Tampa and I've contacted the office manager. She's offered to accept the shipment ... I'll probably order from Target on-line. I'll stop in to chat the afternoon before since my flight gets in about 1:30, and collect my pillows. It's a two-week cruise and I figure after the cruise I'll leave them behind. The next cruiser can benefit, or the cabin steward can have them ... I'll have gotten two weeks out of them ... well worth it to have wonderful puffy pillows.

Just got off the Indy and the mattress topper was already on our bed. It was delightful. I am off on the Navigator Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed for the same excellent results.

Just don't hold your breath because my 4 cruises on Navigator over last 1.5 years all were on incredibly hard beds. And on the last one, we pre-arranged to have a mattress topper through special needs email and were assured it would be there, but once on board were told that they didn't have any at all. We made do with putting extra mattress pads and blankets under the regular mattress pad. Beds were so hard that my Mom asked for extra pillows and slept on top of them!

After reading reports of similarly hard beds on the Liberty, I've now ordered an inexpensive eggcrate topper to take on my upcoming XMAS cruise on Liberty and will have to see how much I can compress it for packing after opening it to air out. It's definitely getting onboard with me somehow, but I may just leave it and consider it the price of a somewhat decent night's sleep!

As said above...the egg crate toppers are all gone.

They do have the matress toppers that are about 3cm think. They do make a difference (and can be washed in the machines).

But if you are a true Princess - take one with you.

As for the pillows....... they are a disgrace.

R

I had never had a problem with bed comfort until last year. Before the beds had always been super comfy no matter which ship. Between the beds and the gentle rocking of the ocean, I had always slept blissfully. Then in 2014 all that changed. The mattresses became rock hard and super uncomfortable. It didn't matter if it was an inside state room or junior suite. The beds were horrible. This was on Enchantment. The cabin steward used folded duvets to try to improve the situation in all three cases. It made them tolerable but nothing like those beds in years gone by. I think I ended up with four pillows just for myself because they were all flat as pancakes. In each case, thanks to a wonderful cabin steward, I managed to sleep wonderfully.

We did the Quantum last year. We were in a Superior Ocean View - H if I recall correctly. The mattresses were absolutely awesome. They were also brand new, though, as it was the maiden voyage.

We did the Majesty last month in an inside - Q. Mattresses were awful. Clearly just overly worn out. There was a wallow in the middle of each mattress. It didn't keep me from sleeping, but I was sure glad for the hot, hot showers every morning to get the kinks out. I sort of assumed it was just them stretching the use of the mattresses until they do the refit next year. Did have the thought they might also stretch the use of mattresses in the inside cabins but forgot to ask friends in better cabins how their mattress was.

The pillows on both were great, though, and our room steward was happy to bring us more if we had wanted them.

I prefer a somewhat softer mattress. My spouse likes his hard as a rock. We hope the mattresses on our promenade on the Adventure are better.

Edited by TravelinGert

• 4 months later...
There's a reason that mattresses are getting flattened. It's the same reason that more and more pool loungers and deck chairs and beach loungers are getting saggy.

It has little to do with RCCL.

I disagree. We were just off the Anthem, which is less than a yer old and it was the worst mattress I have ever been on. Like one poster said it was like laying on plywood. They must have changed the mattress vendor or just are purchasing cheaper ones.

My issue with the beds on the Radiance was they seem incapable of making the beds stay together. I woke up every morning with an arm and leg between the mattresses. Even after I went to guest services and they talked with the housekeeping supervisor on my deck to have it "double bound" or something.

On HAL they had a thing that went down the middle to eliminate the dip AND they had a strap to hold the mattresses together. Not sure why RCCL can't do the same thing.

As much as I hate a twin bed, I'm almost thinking I'll sleep better that way on the Brilliance cruise. Can you ask to have them separated a night or two into the cruise if it's not working with them together? (It's a 12-nighter, so...)

You can ask your steward to put your beds together or separate them at any point in the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Guest maddycat
We were just off the Anthem, which is less than a year old and it was the worst mattress I have ever been on. Like one poster said it was like laying on plywood. They must have changed the mattress vendor or just are purchasing cheaper ones.

We were also on a recent Anthem cruise. After reading about the mattresses here on cc we were concerned that we wouldn't get a good night's sleep. Our bed at home has a very plush topper on it. We thought that the mattress on the Anthem was great. We slept better than we do at home.

Have to agree ... if you happen to be onboard right after drydock/re-fit then it's a better chance of newer mattresses

Years ago last Sovereign before she went to Spain, the Steward did the double mattress thing - again not too much help.

I'm always in a bind onboard as I sleep on a hospital bed at home. So I have to ask literally for at least 7 pillows to make it more of a reclining position.

So elevate the back, elevate the knees and one under the bumm - only way I can sleep anywhere else but home

5ft 2in 120 lbs so it's not like I'm sinking anywhere = Titanium neck/back etc will do that

I actually request that the bed not be made throughout the cruise

However I make it work !

Edited by CaptDJB