Money!

Taiters91

If you are going to use a credit card or debit card on shore, anywhere not in the UK, make sure you call your credit card company and tell them where you may be using it. Otherwise they may not accept it in a foreign country and you won't be able to use it for anything.

Edited by Bonnie J.

If you are going to use a credit card or debit card on shore, anywhere not in the UK, make sure you call your credit card company and tell them where you may be using it. Otherwise they may not accept it in a foreign country and you won't be able to use it for anything.

Thank you all!

Will do...

My main question is about how much we will need...

if say we had 750 dollars with a credit card back up, not planning on doing more then 1-2 excursions and mainly DIY at ports, do you think that's enough??

You DON'T need a credit card, you can use a Visa card WITHOUT credit.

I have never had a credit card in my life and I have never needed it.

As you can tell by my signature, I have been to a lot of Islands in the caribbean. We use mostly cash and use the Visa card as a backup.

Plan your trip and it will save you money, we never book ship excursions.

Always local companys or just walk, get a cab or take the local bus to a beach.

As you can tell by my signature, I have been to a lot of Islands in the caribbean. We use mostly cash and use the Visa card as a backup.

Thanks Kim! That's exactly what we were planning on doing - thank you.

How much do you normally take? We will mainly be walking/taxi to beaches and possibly 1 excursion. 12 days.

Thanks, Sophie

Good for you but a foreign traveler far far from home without a source of emergency funds is asking for trouble! Why not be safe than sorry. US hotels have a huge issue with debit cards.... I'm glad it works for you, but I can't imagine going to a foreign country and not having the resources to buy a plane ticket home.

Good for you but a foreign traveler far far from home without a source of emergency funds is asking for trouble! Why not be safe than sorry. US hotels have a huge issue with debit cards.... I'm glad it works for you, but I can't imagine going to a foreign country and not having the resources to buy a plane ticket home.

Oh I will bring it, but I will put it in the safe with the hope we don't need it.

Wait a minute!! You say in the first sentence " you don't need a credit card" but then admit that YES you do have one for a back up! Yes exactly and that is EXACTLY why when visiting far far from home you have a credit card!

Wait a minute!! You say in the first sentence " you don't need a credit card" but then admit that YES you do have one for a back up! Yes exactly and that is EXACTLY why when visiting far far from home you have a credit card!

Woah, it WASNT me who said I didn't, it was Kim who said she never has?

We are going in jan/feb for a total of 15days and we can't deside on how much to bring :) We have always had money left when we get back home, but I can't remember how much we took with us.. But we doesn't spend $1500 on a week that's for sure!

We always pay the hotels and the rental cars in Florida with the Visa card.

I don't have one, and there's no need. I can transfer money on to my Visa card by using my internet bank, so why would I need a credit card?

Like I said, there's no problem getting a hotel room in the U.S if you have a Visa card. You can have a Visa card without credit, at least in Sweden, and we have never had a problem.

Beware of attempting to use Debit cards at hotel, do not do it without contacting the hotel in advance and make sure you get their policy in writing and you understand what they require.

The following article is one of many but published in the USA Today newspaper travel edition.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/use-debit-card-hotels-1471.html

I don't have one, and there's no need. I can transfer money on to my Visa card by using my internet bank, so why would I need a credit card?

Unbelievable bad advice for a foreign traveler. There is a huge difference between a Visa Credit Card and a Debit Card with a Visa logo. And no you won't be renting a car with (debit cards are excepted on a case by case basis and in many locations not at all. ) one and it's getting very hard to check in to a hotel with one ! Be careful following your own advice.

Edited by JVilleGal

I still don't see the need of a credit card and I will keep on traveling without a cc, a Visa card and a internet bank is all that we need.

But if someone feel the need to have a cc, by all means get one. But don't claim that it's a must have for all, because it's not.

Unbelievable bad advice for a foreign traveler. There is a huge difference between a Visa Credit Card and a Debit Card with a Visa logo. And no you won't be renting a car with (debit cards are excepted on a case by case basis and in many locations not at all. ) one and it's getting very hard to check in to a hotel with one ! Be careful following your own advice.

You keep telling me I can't do stuff that I already have done..

I have driven three different cars in the U.S and let's just say that it wasn't my own cars. It was rental cars from three different agencies and it wasn't rental cars that I had driven from Sweden to the U.S ;)

As you might know, when you enter the U.S as a foreigner you need to have place to stay the first night, with other words you need to have a booked hotel (or something else).

You keep telling me I can't do stuff that I already have done..

I have driven three different cars in the U.S and let's just say that it wasn't my own cars. It was rental cars from three different agencies and it wasn't rental cars that I had driven from Sweden to the U.S ;)

As you might know, when you enter the U.S as a foreigner you need to have place to stay the first night, with other words you need to have a booked hotel (or something else).

Well I'm so glad your experience has been so lovely! I stingy suggest you be careful in the future (at least in the US) as things are changing.

Apparently you have "unlimited" cash resources to transfer funds to your debit card. If that is the case then "funds holds" tying up your cash resources apparently are of no concern to you.

Once again a Credit Card is intended for unexpected emergencies when you don't have the Cash resources to cover those needs.

I'm glad your system works for you, it certainly may not work for all travelers!

Thanks all. Wow 3000 dollars is a lot!! Like I say, we will probably only be able to take about 750.... As everything is paid up, so just want some for spending xx

The cost in the caribbean are similar or a little less then in Europe (Sweden anyway). You can spend A LOT if you want, but you don't have to.

Have you ever been to an All Inclusive? If you have, I would bring the same as you would bring to an All Inclusive.

Normaly we only spend money on lunch, some drinks and transportation if we have a beach day. If we have a excursion we spend more, but then we know in advance how much they are and budget for that.

So if you are planing on a beach day, bring the same as you would if you where back home and then take a little extra if you need to get back on the ship in a hurry (a local with a car won't be able to take your Visa card, but they might drive you to the ship for cash). "The little extra" is money that we never spend, just to have a buffert if something bad would happen.

You can get cash from ATM machines with your Debit card. But your right everyone's needs are different. But to carry $3000 in cash is an awful lot of money....

I am well aware of debit machines, but it is what we choose to take with us and don't think it is an awful lot of money. But I appreciate your comment.:):)

In Europe we use ATM machines located at Banks. Get whatever local currency we need. We always start the trip with about $200 worth of local currency for cabs and a meal or two. Especially if we are traveling in the Euro zone. Some CC members like to just use ATM machines in the airports, I would rather have it already.

Everyone travels differently, I would be afraid to carry so much cash! But that's me :)

Edited by JVilleGal

You can get cash from ATM machines with your Debit card. But your right everyone's needs are different. But to carry $3000 in cash is an awful lot of money....

Don't count on ATM aboard ship. Not all have them and sometimes they are inoperative. HAL has no ATM's on any of their ships.

Also, please put me in the group that would not dream of traveling without a high limit credit card (or two). You may be able to plan for the things you know about in advance but no way to plan about an unexpected emergency or necessary change of plans. Think 9-11 when planes did not fly into or out of U.S. and people had to stay where they were and incurred sometimes very high hotel and meal bills in addition to other incidentals, at a minimum.

Edited by sail7seas