Money!

Taiters91

We have just come back from the Caribbean with P and O. Everything on board ship gets put on a card, we use a credit card so that we can easily keep track of finances. Don't usually use a credit card at home so it keeps the payments separate and if anything happened to your card, no-one can empty your bank account, You can pre-pay excursions. You can mooch around quite happily without spending any money , it is pleasant to spend but not compulsory. You can always draw more money from an ATM or you might find you can get it on board (p and O do this). A major difference is that Brits always have holiday insurance, so not so much need for emergency cash. We didn't spend anything near the amounts that people have quoted to you. Don't bother with Euros, unless you happen to have some put by.

We have just come back from the Caribbean with P and O. Everything on board ship gets put on a card, we use a credit card so that we can easily keep track of finances. Don't usually use a credit card at home so it keeps the payments separate and if anything happened to your card, no-one can empty your bank account, You can pre-pay excursions. You can mooch around quite happily without spending any money , it is pleasant to spend but not compulsory. You can always draw more money from an ATM or you might find you can get it on board (p and O do this). A major difference is that Brits always have holiday insurance, so not so much need for emergency cash. We didn't spend anything near the amounts that people have quoted to you. Don't bother with Euros, unless you happen to have some put by.

Even with "holiday insurance" you may still need credit card/emergency cash. For example, even if you have insurance, with some medical type emergency you usually have to pay up front and then file insurance. Same thing for missed flights, hotels, car rentals, etc.

Agree about Euros. Have always seen prices in Caribbean in US dollars or local currency.

Perhaps some clarification on terms would help.

A "debit card" is a card tied to a bank account, and can be savings, checking, money market, etc. in any event, it draws on funds already existing in the customer's account. What one poster refers to as a "Visa card" seems to be a debit card that is branded with a Visa logo. It is not a credit card, but can be used in stored that accept Visa cards. Still draws funds out of the customer's existing funds.

A "credit card" may be branded as Visa or MasterCard or others. These cards allow the customer to pay for things without having the money to do so (or not having to part with money immediately, as there are many reasons other than lack of funds that could cause someone to use a credit card).

Debit cards (visa branded or not) cannot generally be used for some car rentals, although some places will take them. This is because there may not be sufficient funds to cover the rental agency in case of loss. If they do take them, they will generally put a "hold" on funds In The account, just in case. This is sometimes the amount of the insurance deductible, so it varies. It is this "hold" that causes some to avoid using debit cards for car rentals, as the hold can take up to five business days to be removed.

Hotels that accept debit cards also put holds on the account. Even if pre paid, the hotel will run the card for "incidentals". The hold is usually the full rental rate plus up to $100 or so for incidentals. These holds could take up to 5 days to be removed.

That is why some people CAN rent cars with Visa branded debit cards....but, to do so puts some of the customer's money out of his/her reach for a while.

Side note....although they say up to 5 days to clear a hold, I have never had it take that long. Your experience may be different.

The same thing will happen if you use a debit card to create your ship account. A hold will be put in place to ensure you have the funds. As you approach the limit of the hold, an additional hold may be put in place. This is why some advise against using a debit card to create your on board account. Even if you plan on paying in cash at the end, you could have hundreds of dollars tied up in holds be the end of the cruise. I have heard at least one story of a passenger who paid her onboard account with cash at the end of the cruise, but then couldn't use her debit card to get gas on the way home, because of the holds.

You can always create the onboard account with a credit card, then pay off with cash at the end of the trip to avoid interest. Avoids the holds on bank accounts created if you use a debit card.

As for your question about how much money to take? Heck if I know.

Even with "holiday insurance" you may still need credit card/emergency cash. For example, even if you have insurance, with some medical type emergency you usually have to pay up front and then file insurance. Same thing for missed flights, hotels, car rentals, etc.

Agree about Euros. Have always seen prices in Caribbean in US dollars or local currency.

Exactly. Even if your insurance is 'primary payer' often the insured has to front the money for treatment and file a claim for reimbursement.

I cannot imagine someone traveling even in their own country without a credit card. No one says you must use it but peace of mind is priceless. If you pay the bill in full, as others have stated, you'll pay no interest.

Would someone who travels but does not have a credit card care to enlighten as to why not?

Thank you!!

This thread has got carried away with an argument about cards!

Are you from the UK?

I just wanted a general idea of how much people spend! We just want a relaxing break, mainly at beaches but with the possibility of an excursion or 2 within our spending money.

All I wanted to know was that generally, you don't actually need to spend, which is what you've answered so thank you!

Taiters 91. You should be able to get a card here in the Uk which doesn't charge overseas transaction fees. I think there are several companies who offer these but I don't think I can name them here. When you pay in US$, the card card company will convert it into £ at the commercial rate which is better than the tourist rate, making the amount charged to you less.

I have a prepaid dollar card onto which I transfer money for spending and get a better rate. Works fine in most places (I give my credit card for security but pay with it when I check out). Didn't work with cunard in the summer though so I have over $1000 sitting on it. Was about to start spending it when my parents invited us to go on QM2 for Christmas in the Caribbean plus 2 days in NY at start as a Cristmas present. I've now got what feels like free spending money as it's already been accounted for. Have used some of it to book Radio City Christmas Spectacular tickets for them and us.

I travel a lot with my work (to unusual places) and I always bring back some cash so I'm not scrabbling round for money for a taxi on arrival (most countries I visit are hard to get currency for in the UK) or as happened on one trip the ATM didn't work at the airport.

If you will have no future use for dollars I'm sure a friend would buy them off you at a better rate than the bank.

I have a prepaid dollar card onto which I transfer money for spending and get a better rate. Works fine in most places (I give my credit card for security but pay with it when I check out). Didn't work with cunard in the summer though so I have over $1000 sitting on it. Was about to start spending it when my parents invited us to go on QM2 for Christmas in the Caribbean plus 2 days in NY at start as a Cristmas present. I've now got what feels like free spending money as it's already been accounted for. Have used some of it to book Radio City Christmas Spectacular tickets for them and us.

I travel a lot with my work (to unusual places) and I always bring back some cash so I'm not scrabbling round for money for a taxi on arrival (most countries I visit are hard to get currency for in the UK) or as happened on one trip the ATM didn't work at the airport.

If you will have no future use for dollars I'm sure a friend would buy them off you at a better rate than the bank.

The pre-paid Visa cards available in the U.S. (Kind you get at grocery store with a VISA logo) on the back in very small print say "for use in the U.S. Only" and many cruiselines wants take these cards because there is not name on them or address associated with them. So beware!

I can't speak to the type of cards available in the UK

The pre-paid Visa cards available in the U.S. (Kind you get at grocery store with a VISA logo) on the back in very small print say "for use in the U.S. Only" and many cruiselines wants take these cards because there is not name on them or address associated with them. So beware!

I can't speak to the type of cards available in the UK

So if you can't speak of what is available in the UK why the scaremongering? Your comment is irrelevant as you do not know what you are talking about.

British prepayment travel cards are used extensively by Brits when travelling in Europe (euro based) and other places (we are among the most travelled nation in the world and need foreign currency for almost all places we visit). They are nothing like what you are talking about which is like a gift card. You have to apply for them with an address and are given a PIN. They provide flexibility (you can top up anywhere you have internet access so don't need to change lots of money you might not need), provide a better exchange rate, don't incur per transaction currency charges, are secure (if they are lost you get a replacement). Lots of travel companies and travel money companies offer them (you can get advice on which is the best form Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert website).

I've been using them for about 8 years and won't list all the countries where I have sued them but it is around 20.

So if you can't speak of what is available in the UK why the scaremongering? Your comment is irrelevant as you do not know what you are talking about.

British prepayment travel cards are used extensively by Brits when travelling in Europe (euro based) and other places (we are among the most travelled nation in the world and need foreign currency for almost all places we visit). They are nothing like what you are talking about which is like a gift card. You have to apply for them with an address and are given a PIN. They provide flexibility (you can top up anywhere you have internet access so don't need to change lots of money you might not need), provide a better exchange rate, don't incur per transaction currency charges, are secure (if they are lost you get a replacement). Lots of travel companies and travel money companies offer them (you can get advice on which is the best form Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert website).

I've been using them for about 8 years and won't list all the countries where I have sued them but it is around 20.

Yikes!!!! Where did this come from ??? The OP is travel to the US and over nighting in the US and taking a ship from a US port. My comments are simply meant to alert her to a a possible issue.

SCAREMONGERING???? Really! Good grief.

And aren't you the one who was actually unable to use one in Cunard?

My advise is to simply make sure you can use them on the Cruiseline you intend to sail and the hotels you plan to go. I don't think that is Scaremongering!

Please note that what is normal for you in the UK is not necessarily normal in the US. It's a good idea for travelers on both sides of the pond to understand this.

You have a good day !

Ps thanks for the explanation, it's got a name & Address & pin.... Perfect. You see that's one of the those differences, not widely available here. Over here we just pretty much have those Visa & MasterCard gift cards and you would be surprised at the people who don't realize they can't be used on many Cruiselines or out of the country.

Edited by JVilleGal

Doesn't the whole world do everthing the same way that Usa does? What a shock! :eek:

Posted earlier on this thread about the value of having an actual credit card. OP indicated most UK travelers buy insurance, therefore don't worry about payments. However, in the US and many of the Caribbean islands require cash or credit card payment/deposit for services.

Understand the Visa prepaid cards used in Europe and how they work. Born and raised in UK and former Lloyds employee. However, they may not work everywhere in the US. Major hospital I worked for does not take them.

As always, be prepared and agree that you should be aware of policies at places you plan to visit. A credit card, even if never used, is good to have.

Well that was ironic.. But some seem to think that "they" know how stuff works, even if someone else have done what "they" claim to be impossible..

That is also an odd comment as things are different all over the world. For instance your experience is different than another travelers experience.

This is why Cruise Critic is here to alert travelers to possible issues and concerns! No sure why you are so confused about this. But you have a super day anyway :)

Yikes!!!! Where did this come from ??? The OP is travel to the US and over nighting in the US and taking a ship from a US port. My comments are simply meant to alert her to a a possible issue.

SCAREMONGERING???? Really! Good grief.

And aren't you the one who was actually unable to use one in Cunard?

My advise is to simply make sure you can use them on the Cruiseline you intend to sail and the hotels you plan to go. I don't think that is Scaremongering!

Please note that what is normal for you in the UK is not necessarily normal in the US. It's a good idea for travelers on both sides of the pond to understand this.

You have a good day !

Ps thanks for the explanation, it's got a name & Address & pin.... Perfect. You see that's one of the those differences, not widely available here. Over here we just pretty much have those Visa & MasterCard gift cards and you would be surprised at the people who don't realize they can't be used on many Cruiselines or out of the country.

But as the OP is British so the comment saying beware was scaremongering.