Money!

Taiters91

Perhaps some clarification on terms would help.

A "debit card" is a card tied to a bank account, and can be savings, checking, money market, etc. in any event, it draws on funds already existing in the customer's account. What one poster refers to as a "Visa card" seems to be a debit card that is branded with a Visa logo. It is not a credit card, but can be used in stored that accept Visa cards. Still draws funds out of the customer's existing funds.

A "credit card" may be branded as Visa or MasterCard or others. These cards allow the customer to pay for things without having the money to do so (or not having to part with money immediately, as there are many reasons other than lack of funds that could cause someone to use a credit card).

Debit cards (visa branded or not) cannot generally be used for some car rentals, although some places will take them. This is because there may not be sufficient funds to cover the rental agency in case of loss. If they do take them, they will generally put a "hold" on funds In The account, just in case. This is sometimes the amount of the insurance deductible, so it varies. It is this "hold" that causes some to avoid using debit cards for car rentals, as the hold can take up to five business days to be removed.

Hotels that accept debit cards also put holds on the account. Even if pre paid, the hotel will run the card for "incidentals". The hold is usually the full rental rate plus up to $100 or so for incidentals. These holds could take up to 5 days to be removed.

That is why some people CAN rent cars with Visa branded debit cards....but, to do so puts some of the customer's money out of his/her reach for a while.

Side note....although they say up to 5 days to clear a hold, I have never had it take that long. Your experience may be different.

The same thing will happen if you use a debit card to create your ship account. A hold will be put in place to ensure you have the funds. As you approach the limit of the hold, an additional hold may be put in place. This is why some advise against using a debit card to create your on board account. Even if you plan on paying in cash at the end, you could have hundreds of dollars tied up in holds be the end of the cruise. I have heard at least one story of a passenger who paid her onboard account with cash at the end of the cruise, but then couldn't use her debit card to get gas on the way home, because of the holds.

You can always create the onboard account with a credit card, then pay off with cash at the end of the trip to avoid interest. Avoids the holds on bank accounts created if you use a debit card.

As for your question about how much money to take? Heck if I know.

This is a great explanation! Perfect for new cruisers to understand how various forms of payment work.

This will be my last reply to this topic. It's MY opinion that if you can't afford to have a hold of $100 on your card, you shouldn't cross the atlantic..

Because if that $100 keeps you from getting gas for your drive home, well then you didn't have enough funds to make the cruise/trip regardless if you own a credit card or not.

I did my first cruise in the mediterranean as a university student and believe me when I say that I wasn't rich back then (and I still isn't, even if I have more to spend now days), but I would never have gone on that cruise if $100 could be the difference between being able to go home or not.

If $100 is the thing that could be the "deal breaker", what if you lose your wallet, your bags get lost or something similar?

If someone feels safer with a credit card then get one, but as I said, I have traveled to quite a few countries (including the U.S) without having a credit card and never had any problems.