Royal Princess elevator buttons finally synced

5:00_Somewhere

We're currently aboard Royal Princess (and having a lovely, relaxing time - more about that later). When we boarded we noted that, just as with our past cruises on both the Royal and Regal, if you pushed a button for one elevator (or pair) that did not automatically activate the buttons on the other elevators in the elevator lobby. So, if you want to assure you will get an elevator, you have to push all the elevator buttons - 4 separate banks in the midships elevator lobbies - which is annoying for those waiting and those in the elevators when they stop to find no one waiting (because they caught one of the other elevators they had called). This has been much discussed here on CC.

But, last evening we all noticed that, as of now, when you press one elevator button the call buttons for the other similar elevators also light. In the fore and aft elevator lobbies, this means that all buttons light. And, consequently, when one elevator opens on your floor, all call buttons deactivate, meaning no more elevators arriving to find no passengers waiting.

In the mid-ships elevator lobby, there are still 2 separate elevator systems - as on the Grand Class ships - the "main elevators" and the "glass elevators" (for lack of better phrases) are on separate systems. But, if you push one button for a main elevator it syncs with and calls all the main elevators; and if you press a button for a glass elevator, it syncs with and calls both glass elevators. Again, the elevator systems now seem to be operating logically, and as on the Grand Class ships ... finally

I hope that all makes sense. I know it's a little convoluted, but for those who have sailed on a Royal Class ship and a Grand Class ship (and have experienced this annoying characteristic), I think you'll understand what I mean.

Just thought I'd share this little bit of news for those who might be interested, as it has been discussed here in a number of threads.

More about the ship and cruise once we're home. I will say that we have enjoyed the "Southern Caribbean Medley" itinerary, and have had fantastic weather.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

HI guys. Just off the Royal last week after 20 days. I think the elavators were the no. 1 problem on our cruise so happy to hear they are all working properly now.

BTW, good job on your "convoluted" explanation.:D Don't think I could have explained it so well.

Yay!!! Great news.

Was just on the Star and for the first time in ages, had mid-ship cabins (never again). The glass elevator banks were not synced with the main elevators. I haven't been on any Grand class ship where they were. Hope they sync them on all of the other ships.

Makes perfect sense!

The elevator situation on the Royal was our #1 complaint about that ship, it was ridiculous. So glad they fixed a huge part of the problem. It was really frustrating stopping on every floor wth no one there.

Now, if we can just get a wrap around promenade :)

Edited by WNcruiser

We're currently aboard Royal Princess (and having a lovely, relaxing time - more about that later). When we boarded we noted that, just as with our past cruises on both the Royal and Regal, if you pushed a button for one elevator (or pair) that did not automatically activate the buttons on the other elevators in the elevator lobby. So, if you want to assure you will get an elevator, you have to push all the elevator buttons - 4 separate banks in the midships elevator lobbies - which is annoying for those waiting and those in the elevators when they stop to find no one waiting (because they caught one of the other elevators they had called). This has been much discussed here on CC.

But, last evening we all noticed that, as of now, when you press one elevator button the call buttons for the other similar elevators also light. In the fore and aft elevator lobbies, this means that all buttons light. And, consequently, when one elevator opens on your floor, all call buttons deactivate, meaning no more elevators arriving to find no passengers waiting.

In the mid-ships elevator lobby, there are still 2 separate elevator systems - as on the Grand Class ships - the "main elevators" and the "glass elevators" (for lack of better phrases) are on separate systems. But, if you push one button for a main elevator it syncs with and calls all the main elevators; and if you press a button for a glass elevator, it syncs with and calls both glass elevators. Again, the elevator systems now seem to be operating logically, and as on the Grand Class ships ... finally

I hope that all makes sense. I know it's a little convoluted, but for those who have sailed on a Royal Class ship and a Grand Class ship (and have experienced this annoying characteristic), I think you'll understand what I mean.

Just thought I'd share this little bit of news for those who might be interested, as it has been discussed here in a number of threads.

More about the ship and cruise once we're home. I will say that we have enjoyed the "Southern Caribbean Medley" itinerary, and have had fantastic weather.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, the complaints about the elevators will not stop because too many people don't understand how to use or share one.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, the complaints about the elevators will not stop because too many people don't understand how to use or share one.

Pass the instruction manual this way please...

I thought it was a simple process:

1) Extend finger of your choice.

2) Press button until the light comes on.

3) Stand in front of the opening as close to the door as possible.

4) When the door opens allow just the right amount of room for someone to exit.

5) Ignore the Wheel Chair or scotter that has waiting their turn.

6) Climb on in!

I'm wondering why the forward and aft banks of elevators wouldn't have all been synced to one button in the first place. I understand the issue on the original Grand class ships with only two of the four aft lifts serving below Deck 7 or above Deck 14. (And those ships have a monstrous issue with only one lift at a time being able to serve Deck 6 when dinner lets out due to the call buttons on 6 being wrongfully synced). But on Royal and Regal did they simply have separate call buttons due to the larger width of the elevator lobby? If so it was one of those "good ideas" best left on the drawing board.

Good news for those that enjoy the two ships. After you noted the sync, do you know if the elevators ever passed the floor you were on without stopping. Saw this on the inaugural T/A in 2013.....

Bob

I would also like to know the answer. That was a major problem for us with the forward elevators on the Regal last year. And it wasn't because the elevator was full. Once or twice I was able to look down the stairs when the elevator stopped at the next floor and it was empty!

I believe that the answer to why elevators sometimes pass the floor you are on without stopping is this --

When you push the call button, an elevator is "assigned" to get you. Someone on another floor may hold it up to speak to someone outside the elevator "hey John meet you for dinner if we don't go to drinks first but maybe we will see you there blah blah blah" or a lot of people get off and on, or whatever, but there is a delay on "your" elevator.

Meanwhile, another elevator is moving quickly, and it passes you by. But "your" elevator does come eventually.

This was explained to me one time by one of the elevator service personnel who was on board a ship to inspect and service all the elevators. He happened to have the room next to mine, and I kept seeing him hanging around the elevators taking notes, so I finally asked him what his job was and he said that he worked for the elevator company, so I took the opportunity to ask him that very question, why do elevators sometimes pass us by?

I believe that the answer to why elevators sometimes pass the floor you are on without stopping is this --

When you push the call button, an elevator is "assigned" to get you. Someone on another floor may hold it up to speak to someone outside the elevator "hey John meet you for dinner if we don't go to drinks first but maybe we will see you there blah blah blah" or a lot of people get off and on, or whatever, but there is a delay on "your" elevator.

Meanwhile, another elevator is moving quickly, and it passes you by. But "your" elevator does come eventually.

This was explained to me one time by one of the elevator service personnel who was on board a ship to inspect and service all the elevators. He happened to have the room next to mine, and I kept seeing him hanging around the elevators taking notes, so I finally asked him what his job was and he said that he worked for the elevator company, so I took the opportunity to ask him that very question, why do elevators sometimes pass us by?

That might be the case, but I have sailed 18 other times on eight other Princess ships and never had the problem with elevators often passing our floor like we had on the Regal. There was definitely something different about the programming and it was not an improvement [emoji27]

Yay!!! Great news.

Was just on the Star and for the first time in ages, had mid-ship cabins (never again). The glass elevator banks were not synced with the main elevators. I haven't been on any Grand class ship where they were. Hope they sync them on all of the other ships.

Yes, this has made a noticeable difference.

But, just to be clear, in the midships elevator lobby, the glass elevators are still not synced with the other bank of 4 elevators but, as Pam mentions, this has always been the case, even on Grand Class ships. But, it's still a huge help that the other 4 elevators are synced and that all the elevators are synced in the fore and aft elevator lobbies. It's really amazing what a difference it makes, not to mention how long it took them to address this issue.

Also hoping it rolls out on the Regal soon.

Not looking for your cruise to be over :p but I AM looking forward to hearing all about it. :D

(Thanks for the elevator update! It was not convoluted at all. Anyone who has been on the Royal or Regal knows exactly what you described.)

Edited by chamima

This certainly seems like a plausible answer to the question of elevators passing by floors even though the call button is lit. We did definitely notice this happening frequently on the first few days of the cruise (as well as on our past cruises on both the Royal and Regal). I have not noticed it since the apparent syncing of the systems, but it's only been a couple of days. I'll try to keep an eye out for this and report back.

I was on an elevator on the Star a few days ago and a guy was showing his kid (and everyone else in the elevator) how to make the elevator bypass all other floors, even for those in the elevator, by pushing his floor button and the Close button at the same time and holding them down. :( I had a hard time understanding why he thought this was a good thing to do and teach his kid.

Yes, this has made a noticeable difference.

But, just to be clear, in the midships elevator lobby, the glass elevators are still not synced with the other bank of 4 elevators but, as Pam mentions, this has always been the case, even on Grand Class ships. But, it's still a huge help that the other 4 elevators are synced and that all the elevators are synced in the fore and aft elevator lobbies. It's really amazing what a difference it makes, not to mention how long it took them to address this issue.

Also hoping it rolls out on the Regal soon.

The four elevators have always been synced even though the wall button may have not been lit. The glass elevators are synced together as always. So really there have been no changes that I can detect and that is where our cabin is located & we depend on the central elevators for almost everything.

I was on an elevator on the Star a few days ago and a guy was showing his kid (and everyone else in the elevator) how to make the elevator bypass all other floors, even for those in the elevator, by pushing his floor button and the Close button at the same time and holding them down. :( I had a hard time understanding why he thought this was a good thing to do and teach his kid.

Pure BS. It's an internet hoax that's as reliable as unlocking you car door with a tennis ball or having someone transmit a signal via cell phone. :D;)

Thats good news. Glad to hear they fixed that. Were just off the royal a few weeks ago when it was friday the 13th. I was thinking about putting a 13 sticker on the deck 14 button as a joke. I was concerned security may not find it funny.:p Enjoy the cruise.

I was also on the 11/10 cruise and the elevators were already synced as the OP described. As for me the elevators were a non-issue unless you tried to get one near Princess Theater after a show and that is the case on any ship with any cruise line .

Edited by ltcal94