evening attire ?

hlsess

I just dined in the more formal dining room on the Star tonight. I saw everything. No that's not true. I didn't see a blazer at all but I saw logo t-shirts, jeans with holes and tattered hems, men in shorts, and even the male flip flop. There were plenty of diners in nice shirts and slacks as well-however it is the first night and I understand they relax the standards on the first evening (although all the luggage seemed to have been delivered by that point). So to answer your question...your son doesn't need a blazer. A collared shirt and slacks will be very appropriate for any venue.

I just dined in the more formal dining room on the Star tonight. I saw everything. No that's not true. I didn't see a blazer at all but I saw logo t-shirts, jeans with holes and tattered hems, men in shorts, and even the male flip flop. There were plenty of diners in nice shirts and slacks as well-however it is the first night and I understand they relax the standards on the first evening (although all the luggage seemed to have been delivered by that point). So to answer your question...your son doesn't need a blazer. A collared shirt and slacks will be very appropriate for any venue.

How about coming back tomorrow with a follow-up! It was the first night after all.

By the way, what is the difference between a male flip flop and a female one? :D

Mike

Norwegian doesn't have an actual formal night dude

Well after reading countless debates over what footwear is allowed in the main dining room there seemed to be a consensus that male toes were to be covered and thin drugstore type thongs/flip flops were not allowed. This fellow was breaking all the "rules".

Well after reading countless debates over what footwear is allowed in the main dining room there seemed to be a consensus that male toes were to be covered and thin drugstore type thongs/flip flops were not allowed. This fellow was breaking all the "rules".

I saw a picture of a cruiser in the Escape Solo Lounge barefoot with his feet up on the couch. I wanted to throw up. Seriously - cover your toe hair and keep your feet on the floor when indoors. The lack of consideration for others is astonishing. :eek:

Per NCL's written guidlines, shorts, t-shirts etc. are allowed everywhere on the first night, including the aft dining room and Le Bistro. Flip flops are not allowed by either male or female guests. I wonder who or what Joe 6 pack is?

Captain Lars and management don't give a hoot what you wear, if they did "management" would change the rules that they wrote. What you or anyone else wear doesn't affect my ambiance one bit. There are still cruise lines out there for those that care about "appearances" but you'll notice that even they have facilities for those that don't want to "dress up".

Edited by rvsullivan

Per NCL's written guidlines, shorts, t-shirts etc. are allowed everywhere on the first night, including the aft dining room and Le Bistro. Flip flops are not allowed by either male or female guests. I wonder who or what Joe 6 pack is?

Captain Lars and management don't give a hoot what you wear, if they did "management" would change the rules that they wrote. What you or anyone else wear doesn't affect my ambiance one bit. There are still cruise lines out there for those that care about "appearances" but you'll notice that even they have facilities for those that don't want to "dress up".

Joe 6-pack is a Philly term for a yahoo (another Philly term), or a slob who has no manners, always has a beer in his hand, hangs on the corner....you get the picture.

Regarding Captain Lars, I am only reporting what he HIMSELF said to me, and said to others at the cocktail party for the high-rolling comps, all who were "dressed up" btw. Not a flip flop in the bunch!

Slobs don't affect my ambiance one bit either, but you can't stop me from having my silent opinions. ;)

It can be half and half, yes some people still want to play dress up lol. Others like myself just wear what they would regularly wear.

Certainly not half and half with people who like to dress up, IMHO. Very few in formal wear, few in jeans and t-shirt at night, mostly nicely dressed with men in casual pants and a colored short sleeve polo type shirt. Women in nice slacks or capris and a nice casual top with sandals.

Leave the blazer home and enjoy your cruise!

WE need help..............how do we book specialty dining ahead of time? Can we book specialty restaurants in advance of our April cruise? Can we pre-book the Illusionary dinner show in advance? Cost? THanks.:confused:

WE need help..............how do we book specialty dining ahead of time? Can we book specialty restaurants in advance of our April cruise? Can we pre-book the Illusionary dinner show in advance? Cost? THanks.:confused:

Dining and entertainment will open up for booking 90 days before your cruise. If you are in a suite, it will open at 100 days prior.

Certainly not half and half with people who like to dress up, IMHO. Very few in formal wear, few in jeans and t-shirt at night, mostly nicely dressed with men in casual pants and a colored short sleeve polo type shirt. Women in nice slacks or capris and a nice casual top with sandals.

Leave the blazer home and enjoy your cruise!

You are probably right I was trying to be kind of though I did not want the OP's family to feel odd being one of the few fully dressed up. Norwegian is definitely a more laid back Cruise Line.

To the OP: I advise your son leaves his jacket home if he is not inclined to dress up normally. NCL is very casual, more so than some other lines. I'm a dressy dresser but made a point to not even bring heels on our last cruise and enjoyed being more casual (a cute dress and flat jeweled sandals is casual for me). I think people who want to be surrounded by others dressed up should look elsewhere, that's not the vibe on NCL. There is so much debate on CC about this topic. You should see some of the fuming over the "always formal" dining room on a RC ship! The world is becoming more and more casual. If you wanna dress up, go for it, but let those who don't enjoy their vacation as they wish. It's no big deal. We go to Morton's occasionally and I'm always a little shocked that people are coming out to spend a good $500 on dinner and choose to wear ugly old jeans and crappy looking sneakers from the 90's. But I'm sure they enjoy their steak just as much as I do in my fabulous outfit!

To the OP: I advise your son leaves his jacket home if he is not inclined to dress up normally. NCL is very casual, more so than some other lines. I'm a dressy dresser but made a point to not even bring heels on our last cruise and enjoyed being more casual (a cute dress and flat jeweled sandals is casual for me). I think people who want to be surrounded by others dressed up should look elsewhere, that's not the vibe on NCL. There is so much debate on CC about this topic. You should see some of the fuming over the "always formal" dining room on a RC ship! The world is becoming more and more casual. If you wanna dress up, go for it, but let those who don't enjoy their vacation as they wish. It's no big deal. We go to Morton's occasionally and I'm always a little shocked that people are coming out to spend a good $500 on dinner and choose to wear ugly old jeans and crappy looking sneakers from the 90's. But I'm sure they enjoy their steak just as much as I do in my fabulous outfit!

You are correct, each to his own CHOICE. However, when guys (and some gals) drink and party all day (nothing wrong with that), and show up at nice venues for dinner without even showering, in their sleeveless wife-beater shirts and rubber shower shoes, this is my description of a low-life. This is not a judgement, but an observation. I enjoy the convenience of NCL from NY and NJ, but I much prefer the refined, more polite and more CLASSY passengers on Celebrity.

It is MY choice to sail on both and to dress as I please. It is also YOUR choice to do the same. I will need to adjust MY expectations if I continue to cruise NCL out of the northeast US. I'll work on it and put blinders on. :)

You are correct' date=' each to his own CHOICE. However, when guys (and some gals) drink and party all day (nothing wrong with that), and show up at nice venues for dinner without even showering, in their sleeveless wife-beater shirts and rubber shower shoes, this is my description of a low-life. This is not a judgement, but an observation. I enjoy the convenience of NCL from NY and NJ, but I much prefer the refined, more polite and more CLASSY passengers on Celebrity.

It is MY choice to sail on both and to dress as I please. It is also YOUR choice to do the same. I will need to adjust MY expectations if I continue to cruise NCL out of the northeast US. I'll work on it and put blinders on. :)[/quote']

Actually calling someone lol life is a judgement, in what place is it not? I prefer Norwegian where people are fun and down to earth. I'm not a fan of the Pampas nose in the air mentality of other cruise lines.

Actually calling someone lol life is a judgement, in what place is it not? I prefer Norwegian where people are fun and down to earth. I'm not a fan of the Pampas nose in the air mentality of other cruise lines.

LOL be careful of making a JUDGEMENT about other cruise lines. There has been many a partying mentality at many a martini bar on Celebrity!! :)

LOL be careful of making a JUDGEMENT about other cruise lines. There has been many a partying mentality at many a martini bar on Celebrity!! :)

Yes but they party in suits with their pinkies prominently displayed in the air lol. Instead of skirts the old ladies wear evening gowns which come to think of it might be better lol.

Yes but they party in suits with their pinkies prominently displayed in the air lol. Instead of skirts the old ladies wear evening gowns which come to think of it might be better lol.

ah ha! So you are a snob yourself!! Keep the judgements and chip on your shoulder coming, it's very revealing. ;)

You are correct' date=' each to his own CHOICE. However, when guys (and some gals) drink and party all day (nothing wrong with that), and show up at nice venues for dinner without even showering, in their sleeveless wife-beater shirts and rubber shower shoes, this is my description of a low-life. This is not a judgement, but an observation. I enjoy the convenience of NCL from NY and NJ, but I much prefer the refined, more polite and more CLASSY passengers on Celebrity.

It is MY choice to sail on both and to dress as I please. It is also YOUR choice to do the same. I will need to adjust MY expectations if I continue to cruise NCL out of the northeast US. I'll work on it and put blinders on. :)[/quote']

I think it's confusing to me that you call someone who wears a tank top and rubber shoes to dinner a "low life" yet claim to not be making a judgement. That kind of is the definition of a judgement. Just sayin. If those people were loud, disorderly, and throwing up in the MDR, then they will qualify for that status for sure. Classy is more how you act than what you wear. I've seen plenty of jerk faces dressed up rather nicely.

I think it's confusing to me that you call someone who wears a tank top and rubber shoes to dinner a "low life" yet claim to not be making a judgement. That kind of is the definition of a judgement. Just sayin. If those people were loud, disorderly, and throwing up in the MDR, then they will qualify for that status for sure. Classy is more how you act than what you wear. I've seen plenty of jerk faces dressed up rather nicely.

Exactly! We should never judge a book by it's cover! However those people WERE loud, drunk and disorderly. (not throwing up but falling over). Class IS behavior. and politeness, and decorum. Agreed that we've all seen jerks in all walks of life.

That being said, I was never shoved, elbowed, almost knocked over, and had people butt in lines as much as on the recent NCL sailing. Not to mention the behavior at the buffet. Geesh.

It's not just me who was doing the "observing." Quite a few folks were rolling their eyes.

As I said, if I continue to cruise out of NY or NJ, I am going to have to put blinders on and wear protective padding :0

Exactly! We should never judge a book by it's cover! However those people WERE loud' date=' drunk and disorderly. (not throwing up but falling over). Class IS behavior. and politeness, and decorum. Agreed that we've all seen jerks in all walks of life.

That being said, I was never shoved, elbowed, almost knocked over, and had people butt in lines as much as on the recent NCL sailing. Not to mention the behavior at the buffet. Geesh.

It's not just me who was doing the "observing." Quite a few folks were rolling their eyes.

As I said, if I continue to cruise out of NY or NJ, I am going to have to put blinders on and wear protective padding :0[/quote']

Nope because I'm one of those laid back cruisers and was never loud.

That was one time and I wanted to help the other cruisers realize the error of their ways. Why pick a crappy little boat when you can cruise on a real ship?

They probably didn't want to go to Nassau. :cool:

Suffice it to say, Norwegian has a very liberal policy regarding dress. If you feel like dressing up formal, do so. If you prefer casual, do so. I think one restaurant wants what most lines would consider smart casual, the rest do not. Just use your common sense a little bit and think about what you'd wear to dinner if you weren't in your own home. Probably 99% of people really are fine.

That was one time and I wanted to help the other cruisers realize the error of their ways. Why pick a crappy little boat when you can cruise on a real ship?

Helping cruisers realize the error of their ways. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously ..do you read what you post?