Verandah Petition

Snook

Don't know which rooms you have, but there are some rooms that connect to each other - they have those double doors just like hotel connecting rooms. You can find these rooms on the HAL website deck plans. The rooms that connect have a large grey plus sign next to them.

The connecting rooms are a better way to socialize than having the door on the partition opened. On these rooms you can have both the partition door and connecting door open.

I am not that familiar with the Zuiderdam, but there may be a few partitions that don't have doors in them.

Don't know which rooms you have, but there are some rooms that connect to each other - they have those double doors just like hotel connecting rooms. You can find these rooms on the HAL website deck plans. The rooms that connect have a large grey plus sign next to them.

The connecting rooms are a better way to socialize than having the door on the partition opened. On these rooms you can have both the partition door and connecting door open.

I am not that familiar with the Zuiderdam, but there may be a few partitions that don't have doors in them.

If you spend time out on the balcony having the connecting value would have little value. I'm not sure I would want to leave the connecting door open period.

If you spend time out on the balcony having the connecting value would have little value. I'm not sure I would want to leave the connecting door open period.

I only used the connecting room feature on two cruises, both on NCL where we took two rooms and had our teenage daughters stay in the room next door by themselves. We left the connecting door open all the time until it was time to go to bed. The partition door was left open all the time. The connecting room door was much more useful, because we could have conversations from one room to the other. The partition door was awkward to use, because you had to squeeze through the balcony furniture, and the only time you could converse was if we were all sitting on our balconies.

Also, using the partition door is not like having one large balcony. You can't even see if your companions are on their balcony unless you lean just right to look.

If I was going to design a cruise ship, I would have it so the entire partition would slide into a recess in the wall between the two rooms. This would create one large shared balcony, that would be a lot fun. But I don't know of any cruise ships that are designed that way.

I only used the connecting room feature on two cruises, both on NCL where we took two rooms and had our teenage daughters stay in the room next door by themselves. We left the connecting door open all the time until it was time to go to bed. The partition door was left open all the time. The connecting room door was much more useful, because we could have conversations from one room to the other. The partition door was awkward to use, because you had to squeeze through the balcony furniture, and the only time you could converse was if we were all sitting on our balconies.

Also, using the partition door is not like having one large balcony. You can't even see if your companions are on their balcony unless you lean just right to look.

If I was going to design a cruise ship, I would have it so the entire partition would slide into a recess in the wall between the two rooms. This would create one large shared balcony, that would be a lot fun. But I don't know of any cruise ships that are designed that way.

I could see that making sense for teenagers. I can't see it for friends. I wouldn't want people popping into my room any old time especially if I just got out of the shower. I'm sure they wouldn't enjoy that either :D.

Having the partition open impedes your cabin privacy. If you're traveling with your kids...you have no privacy, anyway...so no harm, no foul....if it's friends...I'd keep the partition closed and invite them to my balcony when I wanted to.

I could see that making sense for teenagers. I can't see it for friends. I wouldn't want people popping into my room any old time especially if I just got out of the shower. I'm sure they wouldn't enjoy that either :D.

The cabins on either side of connecting doors can lock their respective side, so you have control over when the door on your side can be opened.

Having the partition open impedes your cabin privacy. If you're traveling with your kids...you have no privacy, anyway...so no harm, no foul....if it's friends...I'd keep the partition closed and invite them to my balcony when I wanted to.

On one cruise we had four cabins in a row and opened the partitions between all of them. It was a lot of fun. It was also the extra deep balconies on deck 4 so it gave us a lot of room. And often when you were just sitting on your balcony towards the sliding end side, you would not even know if your neighbors were on their side without looking around the partition, or just yelling out and asking.