Travel insurance advice please

Hello,

I am trying to book travel insurance for my mother in law who is coming on a cruise with us in February. She is 71. From browsing afew insurers some ask if you want cruise insurance added.

Is it advisable to have specific cruise cover?

What is the benifit of it?

Are there any companies that people in the over 70 category have used?

Many thanks

(Our own travel insurance doesn't mention cruises either way and we never thought to ask as assumed is fine...)

We also use our major travel club's insurance (not permitted to name companies like that here).

Look around we were able to price shop for deals, could not believe the price differences between companies.

Good luck

Safe travels.

My only caution for people over 70 is pre-existing conditions. I understand Royal's Cruise Care does not waive pre-existing, so we purchase other insurance (which you can find through the links Bob provided), and as long as we purchase it within a certain time after booking the cruise - I think it's two weeks - they waive the pre-existing exclusion.

If your mother-in-law- doesn't have any chronic conditions, this is not an issue.

Just something to think about.

Margy

My only caution for people over 70 is pre-existing conditions. I understand Royal's Cruise Care does not waive pre-existing, so we purchase other insurance (which you can find through the links Bob provided), and as long as we purchase it within a certain time after booking the cruise - I think it's two weeks - they waive the pre-existing exclusion.

If your mother-in-law- doesn't have any chronic conditions, this is not an issue.

Just something to think about.

Margy

you are right, Royal Cruise Care doe not waive pre existing conditions regardless of when you buy it.

Just because someone may have a chronic condition doesn't mean that it's a pre existing condition problem

IMHO, travel insurance is a must. I broke bones in my foot a few days before our 10 day cruise and wasn't allowed to travel. We contacted our travel agent and travel insurance company. Royal Caribbean refunded our shore excursions, taxes, and port fees immediately. Insurance sent a check within two weeks. We have used various insurance companies found at insuremytrip.com with equal success. Don't hesitate to call the brokers to ask questions.

It's important to find an insurance company that covers pre-existing condition. We normally buy insurance at time of booking. This last time we waited until final payment. Shop around for pricing and coverage. Be an informed consumer.

Edited by Grannycb

This such a great forum! I have been researching insurance options just this morning and will follow the link, thanks. Unfortunately, we cannot buy it within the 14 days because we have to wait to use airline miles (too early) and pre-cruise hotel (also too early).

You can buy the insurance anytime you want if you say 2K they give you the rate for 2K but they will ask for proof I would assume before juts cutting you a check.

Don't forget to check your homeowners insurance our last cruise i booked with them and they were a little less with better coverage and I knew they would be easy to deal with since I am a recurring customer.

Hello,

I am trying to book travel insurance for my mother in law who is coming on a cruise with us in February. She is 71. From browsing afew insurers some ask if you want cruise insurance added.

Is it advisable to have specific cruise cover?

What is the benifit of it?

Are there any companies that people in the over 70 category have used?

Many thanks

(Our own travel insurance doesn't mention cruises either way and we never thought to ask as assumed is fine...)

Got mine recently thru AXA. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that pre-existing conditions that are medically controlled and no change to Rx within 60 days of sailing are not considered pre-existing. There lots of options out there, I took a comprehensive policy that included all medical and cancellation for any reason.

Got mine recently thru AXA. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that pre-existing conditions that are medically controlled and no change to Rx within 60 days of sailing are not considered pre-existing. There lots of options out there, I took a comprehensive policy that included all medical and cancellation for any reason.

That's the same everywhere