Question re: drink pricing in bold

StudentoftheWorld

Another Oceania newbie here. I was trying to figure out if a drink package will be worth it for me and my husband. I am such a nut about the details. One detail I noticed on Oceania’s website, and Preisman’s website is the drink menus have some cocktails/wine/beer/spirits in bold. Does anyone know the reasoning? I was wondering if it would impact my decision to get/not get a drink package.

The websites I referred to above can be found at the following links:

http://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_mayan_menus.htm#main

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/value/beverage-packages/

Thank you in advance for your sage advice. ;-)

This question comes up occasionally, and the bold font was apparently an attempt to make some of the printing clearer on the Website.

It has no other significance, and does not appear on the printed bar menus on the ships.

Order away ;)

That's what got me thinking... I saw it first on the preisman's website. The menus they posted have the bold and pricing, as though it is from menus found on the ship. I couldn't figure out the rhyme or reason. My initial guess was that someone didn't realize they were using the bold font, as it is always the top selections (right under the title). I tried to search the topic, but without success.

Thank you, Stan and Jim, so much for confirming what I suspected - it had nothing to do with pricing.

Maybe they are the premium drinks or more popular one

Just guessing

If you figure $10 a drink on average you need 6 a day to break even for the Prestige Package;)

Cocktails are closer to $12. The gin Jim drinks is $15. My wine is $12. This includes gratuity. Package includes all grats.

Ok at those prices you only need 4-5 a day to break even :D

Using the prices from the Preisman's menus, I tallied up what I would drink. It would be 5 drinks a day to break even, before the 18% gratuity. Add in the gratuity, it would take 4 drinks to break even. Our 14-day cruise has 7 stops in Spain. I thought I read that there is an additional 10% tax in those ports. Would that only apply to purchasing the drink package in Spanish waters, or does it also apply to individual drinks purchased in Spanish waters?

Now I just have to figure out if I expect to drink 4 drinks a day on such a port-intensive itinerary. I'll do a trial run on our (Celebrity) Christmas cruise, and see how much I actually drink before dinner, at dinner, and after dinner.

Thank you all for your input!

Using the prices from the Preisman's menus, I tallied up what I would drink. It would be 5 drinks a day to break even, before the 18% gratuity. Add in the gratuity, it would take 4 drinks to break even. Our 14-day cruise has 7 stops in Spain. I thought I read that there is an additional 10% tax in those ports. Would that only apply to purchasing the drink package in Spanish waters, or does it also apply to individual drinks purchased in Spanish waters?

someone in the know will answer

but I think if you purchase the drink package before the cruise there is no added Spanish tax

if you purchase on the ship package or single drinks the tax % is added

How much is a Coors Light?

Isn't that included as along with water and soda.... I think club soda is stronger than Coors Lite... If not I think its $6.50 + 18%.

You know the old saying what in common between coors lite and making love in a canoe .......( Ill let you figure that out if you haven't heard it before)

Isn't that included as along with water and soda.... I think club soda is stronger than Coors Lite... If not I think its $6.50 + 18%.

You know the old saying what in common between coors lite and making love in a canoe .......( Ill let you figure that out if you haven't heard it before)

:) :eek:;)

One thing I noticed is that drink sizes on O are rather small except in Martinis where they are also more expensive. So keep that in mind.

Excellent point, wripro! We sometimes forget when we are traveling that the pours are not quite as generous as those at our favorite local watering holes & restaurants.

One thing I noticed is that drink sizes on O are rather small except in Martinis where they are also more expensive. So keep that in mind.

I was just going to make this point. I usually order "double tall" mixed drinks with a side of mixer... My favorite is Bombay Sapphire gin, and the double talls cost about $24 w/grats. Two of those before dinner plus a glass of wine at dinner and I've broke the $60/day mark.

Are the martinis at Martinis included? I don't remember (see my double talls above) :D

Edited by corpkid

Interesting, I have never noticed a price difference ( except for specialty martinis which it is "Martinis") but the pour in Martini's seems to be more generous. It helps to get to know your bartenders early on in the game. Happy Hour is 2 for 1. We have learned to just pour our 2 into one and that is what we are used to for a regular drink. As for my wine I ask for both tom be poured at once, you get about a 9 oz pour perhaps 10. We do this as your server disappears after he serves you as it is too busy. . Cost will be $12-$13. If I was to get this same pour after happy hour w/out the package it would be $27.

• 1 month later...

On Celebrity we are able to purchase the drink package at any point (except the last couple of days) during a cruise and pay just for the remaining days. Can you do that on Oceania as well? Next month will be our first cruise with them.

Thanks

On Celebrity we are able to purchase the drink package at any point (except the last couple of days) during a cruise and pay just for the remaining days. Can you do that on Oceania as well? Next month will be our first cruise with them.

Thanks

Yes you can purchase at any time. However the last time I checked the celeb package it had limits ,like you could not order a double, ( you can on O) and you cant order a drink costing more than $12,,and they price a LOT of their drinks just above $12.00 Compared to the O package the celeb package is pretty skimpy

In spain, the word I got was that you got taxed if you bought the package in or out of a spanish port. People who pre-ordered the package and paid in the US to the Miami office, had no such tax.