good news and bad news live from grand princess

tml1230

Was on that lovely trip to Hawaii, did anyone else have a problem with their skin? My face became really dry and broken out, even my Doctor today said,

he couldn't believe how swollen it was. Do they recycle the water on the ship if anyone knows???

Did you use the hand sanitizers? Sounds like an allergy to me. I used to think I was allergic to Princess cruises until I finally figured out that using the hand sanitizers caused me to develop horrid rashes on my shins and arms. It could also be the detergent or the bathroom toiletries they provide. Reactions do not always occur on the same part of the body that have been exposed.

we were on the hawaii cruise and still on doing the Mexico ports…no skin problems for us ..and have not heard of any such issues...but after 22 days on board we am beginning to get symptoms of acute disembarkation syndrome…its been a great adventure! BEST CREW EVER

For those on the Grand the past ten days, here is some information about the medical evacuation that took place on Friday, December 18th.

http://www.d17.uscgnews.com/go/doc/4007/2768726/

Good news that the patient is in stable condition at the time of the report.

I think the ship handled this quite professionally, all while respecting the privacy of this passenger / patient. Glad he is doing ok and not too many details and NO video was released. The captain did notify the fellow passengers that no photography would be allowed and there was a section of the Baja deck balconies that were evacuated in order to pick up the passenger in the medivac helicopter.

The Grand Princess is sure making headlines. Other than this, I hope the 10 day trip to Mexico was normal. I heard the seas were rough out of San Francisco.

Who is next on board? Merry Christmas to all.

It was quite rough both out of and back into San Francisco. Our cabin was far aft and felt like we were going to get tossed right out of bed. Haven't been on a cruise with water that rough in a number of years. Funny thing, no real white caps but must have been some nasty swells. We were really rockin and a rollin for nearly half the cruise.

On a brighter note, while we were leaving Cabo, the captain announced we might have a chance of seeing some whales. No more than minutes later, this whale breeched right off the port side of the boat....completely out of the water. He / she then proceeded to slap its tail into the water no less than 25 times. That whale really put on a show for us on the port side aft portion of the ship. Best tour ever!! I was merely out on my balcony to get some photos on the sunset when treated to this whale frolicking in the Pacific which was followed by a loud cheer from fellow passengers also enjoying the sail away. So awesome!!

We were on the Hawaii cruise before you and found the first night out a bit rough. Was it like that as you described the Mexico sailing? I would have loved being on your sailing as I love being on a ship that actually feels like we are on an ocean and not just some huge hotel at sea.

I believe I read somewhere that Captain Bilton was replaced on our arrival in SF on the 10th. If so, does anyone know why? Was it an already scheduled exchange and who was the captain for the Mexico sailing.

The viewing of the whale had to be truly special. Welcome back home.

I believe I read somewhere that Captain Bilton was replaced on our arrival in SF on the 10th. If so, does anyone know why? Was it an already scheduled exchange and who was the captain for the Mexico sailing.

The viewing of the whale had to be truly special. Welcome back home.

It was his normal schedule change.

Note, minor adjustment.. Was on the Oct. 24 Hawaii cruise, when Capt. Bilton came on board for a turn over of Capt. Ron Wilson, so he could take a 30 days vacation. Capt. Wilson's wife was on board and both got off in SF on Nov. 8. I spoke to him at our 2nd CC M&G. We'll be cruising with Capt. Wilson for the Dec. 30th cruise again, but expect he'll be off on our March 4 cruise.

It was his normal schedule change.

Additional Note: I spoke with Capt. Wilson at the party on the 2nd formal night... He indicated that he had nominated Capt. Bilson for an award for his performance during the Hawaii malfunction.

For those on the Grand the past ten days, here is some information about the medical evacuation that took place on Friday, December 18th.

It was quite rough both out of and back into San Francisco. Our cabin was far aft and felt like we were going to get tossed right out of bed. Haven't been on a cruise with water that rough in a number of years. Funny thing, no real white caps but must have been some nasty swells. We were really rockin and a rollin for nearly half the cruise.

On a brighter note, while we were leaving Cabo, the captain announced we might have a chance of seeing some whales. No more than minutes later, this whale breeched right off the port side of the boat....completely out of the water. He / she then proceeded to slap its tail into the water no less than 25 times. That whale really put on a show for us on the port side aft portion of the ship. Best tour ever!! I was merely out on my balcony to get some photos on the sunset when treated to this whale frolicking in the Pacific which was followed by a loud cheer from fellow passengers also enjoying the sail away. So awesome!!

Thanks for the information. My parents were on this cruise. I haven't gotten to speak with them yet, so hadn't heard anything about the weather, etc., nor the medical evac. Glad to hear the gentleman seems to be doing okay.

Also, hoping the weather was good for you all in Mexico. My mom had dearly wanted to do the "Love Boat" itinerary when we first introduced them to cruising just a few years ago, and were disappointed in their first attempt as both Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta were nixed due to security concerns. Hoping everyone's trip was better this time. Fortunately, they usually do okay with rough seas. Can't wait to hear their review.

Also, hoping the weather was good for you all in Mexico. My mom had dearly wanted to do the "Love Boat" itinerary when we first introduced them to cruising just a few years ago, and were disappointed in their first attempt as both Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta were nixed due to security concerns. Hoping everyone's trip was better this time. Fortunately, they usually do okay with rough seas. Can't wait to hear their review.

The weather was actually a bit hot in Puerto Vallarta and a very hot in Manzanillo ... but couldn't have been more pleasant in Mazatlán (a rare occurrence) and even a bit cool in Cabo....but also pleasant. The funny thing is, that was in our favor, the rain didn't hit in San Francisco until we were in our muster stations ... it was just coming down like we rarely see here. Then, we disembarked with no rain until well after we got back home.....so we lucked out in SF both days. Now, for the best part -- it has just been pouring all day and we are all so happy that our rain dance has finally worked and it didn't complicate the boarding or disembarkation. YAY!!

The staff / crew on the ship were amongst the best -- but the ship itself is in some dire need of a complete refurbishment. I was just trying to look up when the next major dry dock for her is scheduled.

Thanks I was wondering. Poor person. Someone was also offloaded at Puerto Vallarta and taken away by ambulance.

Roger Bilton is the best Captain we have had in 25 cruises with Princess would love to sail with him again. The crew also seem happy when he is in charge. Cant think of anyone I would sooner have in control if there was a problem onboard

The staff / crew on the ship were amongst the best -- but the ship itself is in some dire need of a complete refurbishment. I was just trying to look up when the next major dry dock for her is scheduled.

after just spending 25 days on board the Grand i agree the crew was among the best-

i do however think the word "dire need of complete refurbishment" is a little too strong a phrase…certainly could use some new furniture in horizon court, usual carpeting wear and tear around the ship and the occasional leaky pipe somewhere….but given her age, the overall shape of the ship exceeded my expectations based on what some folks described when i did our research.

Thank you, I am on the Grand next week and was wondering how bad it really is.

I was on the Dec 10 cruise, and I really didn't see anything to complain about. I saw (and reported) one small drip from one of the fire spray dinguses (dingi?), but that was all. Carpeting and furniture looked good to me, and of course everything is always being cleaned!

after just spending 25 days on board the Grand i agree the crew was among the best-

i do however think the word "dire need of complete refurbishment" is a little too strong a phrase…certainly could use some new furniture in horizon court, usual carpeting wear and tear around the ship and the occasional leaky pipe somewhere….but given her age, the overall shape of the ship exceeded my expectations based on what some folks described when i did our research.

I agree I've been on the Grand 5 times in the last three years and it surely grows on you. The public areas were refurbed a few years ago when Skywalker's was removed at least the ones on deck 5 when they added the pizzeria etc.

It is an amazing ship with a wonderful crew and a friend of mine whose sailed on almost all of the Princess ships including the newest ones says it is the favorite.

Edited by Kentskie

I too was aboard for the 12/10 sailing. While I agree "dire" is too strong "tired" IMHO is a better word to describe the condition in a few areas. The upholstered furniture near the Explorer's Lounge and Sabatini's on Deck 7 were as bad as I have ever seen. The sofa in my mini was clearly well beaten from long use.

Nevertheless, the service, food, and entertainment were excellent. Best embarkation ever - arrived aty 1130 AM, lunch in the MDR by 1215 PM and luggage delivered before 2 PM!

I'll be back aboard in October 2016 for the Hawaii cruise and hope to see new furniture.

Cheers

Edited by tcdcruiser

Additional Note: I spoke with Capt. Wilson at the party on the 2nd formal night... He indicated that he had nominated Capt. Bilson for an award for his performance during the Hawaii malfunction.

Bravo! A well deserved nomination. He was so calm, professional and informative in both dealing with the mechanical problem and some irate passengers. I believe the team usually reflects its leader. The crew on the Grand were the happiest and most helpful we have seen in over 20 Princess cruises. I agree with others that the "dire need of complete refurbishment" comment is an overstatement. Overall we found the public areas in quite good shape. There was some wear in the carpet in our cabin, but not extreme. The bathroom was in great shape. Since the atrium was totally gutted and refurbished in 2013, it is one of the freshest in the fleet. One thing that should be replaced is the MUTS screen. It is blurry with several off color panels.

Edited by mreasier

NOTE: EDITED QUOTE: I agree with others that the "dire need of complete refurbishment" comment is an overstatement. One thing that should be replaced is the MUTS screen. It is blurry with several off color panels.

I agree with "dire need" being an overstatement... Also agree that outside screen should be replaced.... Have also suggested to Princess that provisions for wireless headphones be added to the MUTS screen... Overall, my 10 days on the 12/10 sailing would receive an A+!