good news and bad news live from grand princess

tml1230

Looks like the webcam is down.

grand_bridge.jpg?1448913386186

It could be down but we are pretty much just drifting in a big circle. And typical for Hilo and depending on which side of the ship you are on, it could be sunny or it could be raining

Edited by iceleven

We're in an aft suite so luckily we have a nice balcony to sit out on, but we still don't have electricity. We ate breakfast in Sabitini's where they served us eggs, bacon, coffee and other cold foods/drinks. This was at 7:30am. Got a free latte at the IC cuz Sabitini's didn't have them. Now it's 10:41am and the Capt just said we can't get the engines going enough to get in Hilo so we're going on to Honolulu for tomorrow. Still no electric to my cabin. Nice balcony weather! :D

1045 AM word from the captain…repairs didn't work out and we can't get into harbor so we are headed to honolulu and skipping Hilo…with only one screw running, looks like we will be there early tomorrow…. power still out in portions of the ship…my wine supply is running low so it looks like a trip to safeway grocery tomorrow…crew and captain remain great and having phone and wifi sure helps keep in touch…

i don't even know what i don't know but it seems to be a bigger fix than just the engineer doing a MacGuver on the electrical stuff…i may offer my leatherman tool and duct tape to the staff….

Crew is being fantastic! And so glad the Capt updates us frequently. I love sea days so not a huge deal. Just have to do this cruise again to go to Hilo. I'm loving the Hawaiian immersion with Makani E; especially the hula dancing leszons. Lots to do on the ship.

Man, Cruise critic has given me all kinds of stuff to worry about!! We are heading out to SF to go to Mexico on the Grand 12/10... Hopefully everything gets repaired and the lucky people in Hawaii don't have any less fun... The next cruise we are on after this one is out of Houston so I will be praying for clear skies over Texas! I am a glass half full person and do not understand why people would be mad and blame princess for this... Did they light the fire!? Like someone said "SHIP happens" get over it... Put on the big kid pants and go with the flow! It happened... You can't change it so relax...

Hi All

Update from Princess Cruises: Princess released the following statement this afternoon:

"At approximately 5:30 am local time, the propulsion circuit breaker in the aft switchboard aboard Grand Princess suffered a significant failure, resulting in smoke. The ship was 20 miles off the coast of Hilo, Hawaii. All guests and crew are accounted for and there were no injuries.

The incident did cause a power outage resulting in the use of emergency lighting and limited air conditioning for a short time. The ship is currently operating on three diesel generators and will arrive in Hilo later today.

We are currently investigating the cause of this incident and the impact it may have on the current voyage.

Grand Princess is carrying 2,592 guests and 1,095 crew. The ship is on the fifth day of a 15-day Hawaii cruise that departed San Francisco on November 25."

yours Shogun

Yeah that could take some time to fix, depending on what caused the blowout. Would also explain why there are sporadic other outages, surge may have killed some local nodes around the ship (those can be rerouted and reset so hopefully all cabins will have lights and air tonite)

Hi All

Update from Princess Cruises: Princess released the following statement this afternoon:

"At approximately 5:30 am local time, the propulsion circuit breaker in the aft switchboard aboard Grand Princess suffered a significant failure, resulting in smoke. The ship was 20 miles off the coast of Hilo, Hawaii. All guests and crew are accounted for and there were no injuries.

The incident did cause a power outage resulting in the use of emergency lighting and limited air conditioning for a short time. The ship is currently operating on three diesel generators and will arrive in Hilo later today.

We are currently investigating the cause of this incident and the impact it may have on the current voyage.

Grand Princess is carrying 2,592 guests and 1,095 crew. The ship is on the fifth day of a 15-day Hawaii cruise that departed San Francisco on November 25."

yours Shogun

Hi All

Released where? Neither this situation nor the one involving CB yesterday made their way to the "News Center" or "Notices and Advisories" sections of the website. Instead, the only thing in the latter is a more-than-a-year-old advisory about ebola. How difficult is it for Princess to post this type of information on its "Notices and Advisories" page? Isn't that why it exists in the first place?

They probably won't post anything until they have all the facts...right now it is only the people on the ship that need the updates... IMHO I want them to tell me what they know about the problem and the next cruise rather than what they assume...

And get the dates all wrong. One date listed is Nov 20th and another lists Nov 23rd. Didn't this all happen on Nov 30th?

It looks like yes -- another site copied the story with the wrong date, and others (including me! :mad: ) picked it up.

We have power in our cabin. 😀No AC but that is okay. Have the balcony door open listening to the waves. Hoping GoBucks got power too. It is the back of the ship that is having the power issue.

I agree that the crew is fantastic! They are smiling and making the best of the situation. A couple negative nellies in the passenger, but they tend to stop talking to me as soon as I gush about how awesome the crew is.

We have power in our cabin. 😀No AC but that is okay. Have the balcony door open listening to the waves. Hoping GoBucks got power too. It is the back of the ship that is having the power issue.

I agree that the crew is fantastic! They are smiling and making the best of the situation. A couple negative nellies in the passenger, but they tend to stop talking to me as soon as I gush about how awesome the crew is.

It's a given that there will be people who are negative and will continually complain. They'll be making demands fairly quickly. I hope the Captain sends these people home on an airplane if they don't wish to continue on. We're leaving Thursday on the Islands Princess for the Panama Canal. So far, we've been lucky on every cruise we have taken. No breakdowns, missed a couple of ports, saw a few injuries and people who passed away, but I would say Princess and Carnival does a good job. We were on the Splendor the week before she broke down out in the Pacific. So, I feel fortunate. I'm going right now to pack my flashlight!:D

Air and electric came back about 12:30pm. Gorgeous view of the volcanoe off the port side of my balcony right now! Getting ready to go to the pool. Not all bad! :D

Air and electric came back about 12:30pm. Gorgeous view of the volcanoe off the port side of my balcony right now! Getting ready to go to the pool. Not all bad! :D

Hawaiian sea day !! :)

Definitely could be worse

Srpilo