NCL Pride Of America 2016 Refurb

mattson

As has become the norm under FDR, everything is played close to the chest. Information is tightly controlled, and only a few people have the whole picture of all the improvements that will be made. Total cost will probably end up somewhere north of $70 million.

A significant portion of that will go to technical projects. Overhauling the DGs and RR pods, installing holding tanks for closed loop scrubbers, and replacing a lot of the navigational instruments/systems/fittings.

I've got to admit my source for info on the POA has gone, now he's the project officer for the fleet-wide scrubber installations. Interesting that you say they are overhauling the DG's, as this is normally an in-service maintenance, and given the itinerary, very easy to accomplish in service.

One thing that will drive up the total drydock cost, without increasing the level of refurbishment is that unlike the foreign flag ships, even when using a US shipyard, the company flies in teams of workers from Indonesia, Malaysia, and the Philippines to do the carpeting, upholstery, and redecorating of the hotel spaces. Since the POA is US flag, they cannot do this, and all the workers must be from the US. Conversely, if the POA were to use a foreign shipyard, say in Vancouver, then US Customs levies a 50% duty on the total bill.

I've got to admit my source for info on the POA has gone, now he's the project officer for the fleet-wide scrubber installations. Interesting that you say they are overhauling the DG's, as this is normally an in-service maintenance, and given the itinerary, very easy to accomplish in service.

One thing that will drive up the total drydock cost, without increasing the level of refurbishment is that unlike the foreign flag ships, even when using a US shipyard, the company flies in teams of workers from Indonesia, Malaysia, and the Philippines to do the carpeting, upholstery, and redecorating of the hotel spaces. Since the POA is US flag, they cannot do this, and all the workers must be from the US. Conversely, if the POA were to use a foreign shipyard, say in Vancouver, then US Customs levies a 50% duty on the total bill.

I'm not entirely clear on the details of what they intend to do with the power plant, but everything has gone screwy with the new marine ops management. They insisted on replacing one of the large winches several months ago. Why it couldn't have waited until the drydock is a complete mystery.

Her registry will definitely raise the cost substantially, but Pride of America will still change dramatically. FDR and his pals have been swarming the ship for months finding things that they want to change. In all fairness, she's probably the kitschiest ship in the fleet, and it doesn't help she has many chronic technical problems from her unusual background.

Pride of America is in San Francisco this morning! Here are some photos I took from my ferry ride into the City and from a pier near the ship. Can't wait to cruise her back to Hawaii on March 15th.

IMG_3900_zpszcqfe50r.jpg

IMG_3905_zpsmkbqshji.jpg

IMG_3909_zpsdmzviurd.jpg

IMG_3910_zpsvkgksksc.jpg

IMG_3913_zpsqq3e49av.jpg

IMG_3914_zps9exy30cg.jpg

Edited by Phamer55

Some info that's been passed around...

• Mandara Spa: makeover, larger spa area
  • New onboard chapel: dedicated space for weddings and vow renewals
  • Pool area and sun deck: new flooring, loungers, furniture, pool finishes, hot tubs and installment of video wall
  • Card room and Library: refreshed decor and installment of computer stations for net access
  • Staterooms and suites: refreshed look including new bedding, furniture, TVs and flooring
  • Conservatory: transformed into modern lounge

Thanks for sharing the pics from San Francisco! :)

You're welcome! As you can see from the photos, she's looking a little rusty, so hopefully that will taken care of during dry dock. Also wondering if someone will be able to post photos from inside of the ship over the next 2.5 weeks of work.

I can't recall ever seeing one on another cruise ship. Do you know the reason she has one?

I think it was to be used for tendering, so the thrusters and pods wouldn't need to run. I can't think of another cruise ship that has one, but some large cargo ships do, and the Navy uses them on some larger ships. Remember, this ship was originally designed by a company whose previous ships were the Independence and the Constitution, and the hull was built in a yard that specializes in US Navy work.

I don't think it is a USCG requirement, maybe if I'm bored over the weekend I'll pull out the CFR's and look.

Edited by chengkp75

I can't recall ever seeing one on another cruise ship. Do you know the reason she has one?

It used to be quite common for cruise ships to have stern anchors. They've fallen out of favor over the years for a variety of reasons, primarily cost and space considerations, but a lot of older ships still have them. They offer greater flexibility with anchoring, especially in situations that require minimal swinging (ships will "swing" around the anchor point due to wind, tides, etc.). An aft anchor, when deployed with a forward anchor, can help maintain a fixed position, but so can modern dynamic positioning systems.

Couple more shots as POA nears the dock. She's been stationary in this position the entire morning. The tenders are running back and forth -- about three or four; presumably moving personnel on and off the ship (Captain Obvious told me so).

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I will try to get some shots of her in the dry dock over the next few days.

Couple more shots as POA nears the dock. She's been stationary in this position the entire morning. The tenders are running back and forth -- about three or four; presumably moving personnel on and off the ship (Captain Obvious told me so).

Awesome! Thanks for posting!

My luggage is out, maybe I will start packing this weekend :p

I think it was to be used for tendering, so the thrusters and pods wouldn't need to run. I can't think of another cruise ship that has one, but some large cargo ships do, and the Navy uses them on some larger ships. Remember, this ship was originally designed by a company whose previous ships were the Independence and the Constitution, and the hull was built in a yard that specializes in US Navy work.

I don't think it is a USCG requirement, maybe if I'm bored over the weekend I'll pull out the CFR's and look.

I suppose in theory that makes sense, but in practice there's a preference to just use the forward anchors and DP to reduce prep time before leaving Kona. Actually, DP is one of the many systems that will be upgraded over the next several weeks.

Both Independence and Constitution lacked stern anchors, which explains why it might have been one of American Hawaii Cruises's specifications for Project America. They also had consultants from Kvaerner working with Ingalls, and some of the ships coming out of Turku at the time for Royal Caribbean were fitted with stern anchors.

I'd be interested in finding out if it's a USCG requirement. As far as I know, it isn't.

You're welcome! As you can see from the photos, she's looking a little rusty, so hopefully that will taken care of during dry dock. Also wondering if someone will be able to post photos from inside of the ship over the next 2.5 weeks of work.

I was thinking the same thing.

Those are great! Thanks for posting them. Looking forward to seeing more if you get the chance. :)

Pride of America is in San Francisco this morning! Here are some photos I took from my ferry ride into the City and from a pier near the ship. Can't wait to cruise her back to Hawaii on March 15th.

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like she could also use a good scrubbing or paint job from about deck 5 down to the waterline :)

I just confirmed today that I'll be going on the ship March 15, after the work is done, and before she heads back to Hawaii. Looking forward to seeing what they will have done.

TA tour group? What time do you board? Those of us on the 3-15 cruise are wondering if they will let us board a little early.

TA tour group? What time do you board? Those of us on the 3-15 cruise are wondering if they will let us board a little early.

Yes, TA group. Not sure yet what time we board, but they told us we would have plenty of time to inspect the ship. My guess is 9. Definitely helps that nobody is getting off in the morning.

Yes, TA group. Not sure yet what time we board, but they told us we would have plenty of time to inspect the ship. My guess is 9. Definitely helps that nobody is getting off in the morning.

Thanks. Wonder if the TAs have to exit the ship and be cleared before passenger boarding starts. If so, I don't forsee any early boarding.

Thank you Pharmer55 and Triptolemus for the great photo's. I will be cruising on this ship in April and the photo's get me so excited for my vacation. I would love a close up of the Starboard side near the bridge deck 12.....that is where my room will be. Almost makes me want to drive up to the Bay area for a "looksee". For those traveling after the refurb, I hope you post lots of pictures.

Edited by gwsster

Thank you Pharmer55 and Triptolemus for the great photo's. I will be cruising on this ship in April and the photo's get me so excited for my vacation. I would love a close up of the Starboard side near the bridge deck 12.....that is where my room will be. Almost makes me want to drive up to the Bay area for a "looksee".

What cabin number? Maybe one of us on the 3-15 has that cabin and can give you some info or pictures.

Aloha Everyone,

Those of us here in Honolulu will sure miss seeing the ship during dry dock. Glad to hear about some of the improvements being made! Sadly I haven't sailed on the POA yet (after living my entire life here), but with the changes and upgrades being made, I sure hope to do a sailing within the next year or two! Though I wish I went last year when locals/kama'aina rate was extremely affordable during off season. Thank you to those who have posted pictures so far! Can't wait to see how it all turns out :)

How thoughtful of you to suggest pictures of the ship. I can't wait to read all of the reviews and see the pictures. I will be sailing with my 3 sisters in room 12000 on the Starboard side. I tried to find a picture of the door online...no luck. It is an OS, we got a good deal on this room last March and was less expensive than 2 balconies. I am so excited as one Sister has never been to Hawaii and cried when we told her where we were going on the vacation. We haven't told her much about the room as we want her surprised. She has had a very hard year and needs some serious joy right now.

Thanks for all of your posts on CC, I have noticed that you give insightful advice to other CC members. Thank you for that.

What cabin number? Maybe one of us on the 3-15 has that cabin and can give you some info or pictures.