Is the Sun scheduled to be refurbished?

Stockjock

Thank you for posting the pictures so far and the information on areas of the ship which received a sprucing up. Seems like this dry dock was more about a technical upgrade and paint job then interior stuff overall. I think the Sun also got the boosted internet which is supposed to roll out fleetwide by July. If you hear anything about it, can you let us know? Thank you! :)

Lol. It's 5:45pm and we, The Sun, and passengers are still tied up to pier 27 in San Francisco. No explanation given. We see stuff STILL being loaded aboard. Oh well, I'm grabbing a cocktail or two.

Thanks much for the updates on the refurb! You're off to Alaska from San Francisco, correct? I'm on the May 30 cruise from Vancouver to Seward, so eager to hear how the May cruises to Alaska go. Please do post more pictures and thoughts!

Lol. It's 5:45pm and we, The Sun, and passengers are still tied up to pier 27 in San Francisco. No explanation given. We see stuff STILL being loaded aboard. Oh well, I'm grabbing a cocktail or two.

I saw a crane in the background of one person's picture of the empty pool. It looked like it was over the aft part of the ship picking up something or dropping something else off. Hopefully the ship is not still a construction zone as you head North. Looking forward to your updates when you come back! :)

I saw a crane in the background of one person's picture of the empty pool. It looked like it was over the aft part of the ship picking up something or dropping something else off. Hopefully the ship is not still a construction zone as you head North. Looking forward to your updates when you come back! :)

My DW and I were at pier 27 yesterday, and they seem to be boarding early. We could also hear construction workers being paged onboard the ship. We were shocked to see the Sun leaving so late. Also we didn't see any delivery trucks, or supplies around the ship. We guessed the supplies were loaded at the dry dock.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My DW and I were at pier 27 yesterday, and they seem to be boarding early. We could also hear construction workers being paged onboard the ship. We were shocked to see the Sun leaving so late. Also we didn't see any delivery trucks, or supplies around the ship. We guessed the supplies were loaded at the dry dock.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hope you don't have the same issues on the Sun that we had on the POA. Unpleasant and horrible smells from all the work. I am sure that some of the things were highly toxic to breath

Thanks for the update and pics, we have been anxiously awaiting to see what has been done. Enjoy your cruise and PLEASE tell us more when you return. Would love to see more pics! Thanks again.

I'm on the Sun. We are currently in Astoria, Oregon.

We were told our beds are new. They do look fresh but they are hard even tho they have a pillow top. I asked for an egg crate foam topper, it helped. Looks like our curtains are new. Carpet looks good but doesn't have that "new carpet smell." Out tv is a tiny 15-17" but it is a flat screen. I posted a pic of our sofa.. it's old, worn and stained. I have a sheet covering it.

The bathroom shower is tiny with that friendly fabric curtain. 😭😱 We do have great water pressure tho.

The staff here is indifferent. Not many greet you or say "hello".

There does seem to be leaks in cabins as i just passed by 2 interior cabins on deck 9 on my way to my cabin in 9072aft and they had the doors open and the space heaters/blowers going.

The Sports bar is still open from 5pm - 5am. I had fish and chips there last night and heartburn until early morning. Lol.

That's my update for now.

Post dry dock: does anyone know of the penthouse suites have the good coffee machines that steam milk?

We are in a penthouse suite on the current cruise. The coffee machine is a delonghi. It uses a pod system and makes espresso. As regards the refurb, we do not see any room updates, but the room is in good shape and our balcony is huge. 70 and sunny in Astoria today. The same weather is predicted for Alaska. Definitely the suite life

Onboard the Sun right now. Currently waiting for the stragglers to get back to the ship in Astoria. It's my first time on this ship, but here is what I have learned about dry dock so far:

Lots of new carpet in the public areas, including the new carpet smell. When we boarded both main pools were empty and the kids pool just got painted. Now they are all full of water available for use. Lots of contractors on board wearing plain clothes and eating in guest areas. Have not been an issue yet, but I did have some concerns when we were boarding as they were all over the place.

I see new/replacement wiring for IP surveillance cameras, some of which have been installed. I also see new Cisco wireless access points in the hallways, while the old Alcatel WAPs are still in place. Not sure which ones are actually active. I have the 250 minutes of Internet "free at sea" promo. Used it last night and speeds were acceptable for basic browsing, but not for video streaming.

The crew is tired after dry dock. I haven't met any friendly ones yet. The food so far has been the biggest disappointment. Specifically the "fresh fruit" tastes like it has been washed down with some kind of bleach...pretty discussing. Water sometimes has the same taste, but not always. There was a veggie stir fry in the buffet for lunch today that also had the chlorine taste.

I'm hoping seeing Alaska for the first time will make up for the disappointments so far.

Hey thanks so much for this update. Do any of you know if Suite 9002 has an actual 2 rooms or does it just have the one room and then a living room with no wall divider or anything? Thanks we go on this ship soon and looking forward to enjoying the suite life and the newish ship.

Good Morning...

Will be on the Sum in few weeks.... Superr excited....

Can anybody please post a picture of the embarkation daily and a picture of the breakfast menu?

Wondering if smoke salmon still served for breakfast in the main dinning....

Thanks

AJ

Interesting to hear they are using delonghi - is that a new or old machine - first heard of that brand on NCL. They were switching to Nespresso machines.

The carpet in that pic above does look like the new type. The bed does too although it is a bit hard to see with the sheets. The new bed base they have been using is like a white plastic molded thing with about a 1 inch lip and a bit higher off the ground than they used to be (based on what we saw on the POA). The bed base kind of reminded me of a bowl that could contain leaks if needed. The beds we had on the POA were firm but very comfortable for us.

Nespresso appears to be a product line made by Delonghi.

I have a full size (no pods) Delonghi espresso machine at home. Makes a darn fine latte, although my cappuccinos are hit or miss depending on how well I manage to turn milk into foam. [emoji4]

I'm looking forward to giving the pods a try.

Edited by Knobhdy

Thanks for the pics. We are on Alaska August trip on desk 11. If you get a chance to post more pictures of the public areas that were updated or any pictures on the deck 11 suite areas that would be great! Enjoy your trip!

Hey thanks so much for this update. Do any of you know if Suite 9002 has an actual 2 rooms or does it just have the one room and then a living room with no wall divider or anything? Thanks we go on this ship soon and looking forward to enjoying the suite life and the newish ship.

It is just one big room. Not even really a 'living room' / 'sleeping area' - just one big room. Balcony is massive.

We were in 9201 in January - it has a different layout with a weird divider wall and a curtain that closed off the foldout couch very nicely.