Is the Sun scheduled to be refurbished?

Stockjock

Be prepared. Contractors were put on board in Huatulco and negatively impacted the last few days of what was supposed to be a memorable cruise. I suspect that, is there are empty cabins, contractors may still be on board during the first cruise post dry dock.

We left the ship early in LA because of the workers who, in my opinion, viewed the passengers as impediments to getting their tasks done.

You were smart to get off. Things went from bad to worse. The horrible smell never really went away. The contractors cleaned the ship up for the inspection in LA, and the next morning ceiling panels were down again, insulation was wafting thru the air and there were more contractors than ever.

Cheeky ones, also, who acted like we were in their way.

During disembarkation this morning we had to wade thru electrical lines laid across the carpet and other construction debris thrown about.

Does anyone have know whether the Sun will be getting IT upgrades such as the Norwegian app? We love the Norwegian app and will be sailing in August 2016 on the Sun.

Alan

The Sun had the Norwegian app when we sailed last Sept; you should be good -- surely would not be removed with drydock.

Tammy

The Sun had the Norwegian app when we sailed last Sept; you should be good -- surely would not be removed with drydock. Tammy

Does anyone have know whether the Sun will be getting IT upgrades such as the Norwegian app? We love the Norwegian app and will be sailing in August 2016 on the Sun. Alan

Yes, the Sun has the iConcierge app, but when we were onboard a couple of months ago, the app didn't work for 3 days. Apparently the outage was out of the ship's control. Once it came back up, it worked for the rest of the cruise. I used it for checking my account and making dinner reservations. Only about 1/2 of the daily activities were listed on our sailing.

It has been reported that the wifi is being upgraded/updated with this dry dock. So hopefully the reliability of the app will improve, but as noted it is already there.

See post #1546 on the April 9 roll call thread. According to the current Hotel Director on board, the upcoming dry dock will be for engine maintenance only, with other changes on hold until the next dry dock in 2018.

This would explain why the dry dock was shortened and the May 8-16 voyage (SF to Vancouver) added as recently as January.

the upcoming dry dock will be for engine maintenance only

This would explain the need for dry dock - work on the hull or engines !

All the rest of the minor work can be done while docked or underway.

It appears that some work was started coming up the Pacific coast.

With major work it is best to have the contractors and crew stay on the ship

and having a large enough area to store and retrieve the upgrading materials

while disposing of the down graded stuff in the hold for removal off the ship

hence no cruising passengers while doing the major stuff. This also reduces

the revenue time lost to the upgrading !

It is a shame that NCL did not let the cat out of the bag with "ALL" the details

of the DD upgrading refurbishment renovations - "Curiosity killed the cat and

Satisfaction brought it back " !

It would also be nice to have the last recent cruisers on the SUN to have pictures

of the way it was and for those taking her out for a spin afterward pictures of what was done !

This latest news about the Sun not getting a complete re-fit makes sense with what I had thought about why a charter was shifted from the Jewel to the Sun. If the Sun isn't getting a major cosmetic overhaul then why care about a charter that's on her? :cool:

Very interesting information. I know the Sun is out of the water right now in San Fran as I saw her last AIS showing her in the dry dock. Looking forward to reports post dry-dock work completed.

It may make sense but it is too bad that it has been delayed again. For long time CCers, they know that Sun is my favorite ship and that love affair started when we sailed her twice in 2010. There was a dry dock between the two sailings and we hoped at that time that the soft goods would be changed out....well they weren't except for some carpet here and there and in the six years since then, the upholstery has only gotten more worn. It is way past time for Sun's sofas to loose the yellow and blue anchor upholstery! :D

Anyway, I am just hoping that this continuing delay isn't related to her leaving the fleet...that would definitely make me sad.

Norwegian need to show her some love!

This latest news about the Sun not getting a complete re-fit makes sense with what I had thought about why a charter was shifted from the Jewel to the Sun. If the Sun isn't getting a major cosmetic overhaul then why care about a charter that's on her? :cool:

Very interesting information. I know the Sun is out of the water right now in San Fran as I saw her last AIS showing her in the dry dock. Looking forward to reports post dry-dock work completed.

Hi. I'm on the May 8th post dry dock sailing of the Sun. MAY I ask what charter are you referring to? Wondering if it will be on our cruise?

Edited by suzycruise

Hi. I'm on the May 8th post dry dock sailing of the Sun. MAY I ask what charter are you referring to? Wondering if it will be on our cruise?

The charter is much later in the season... it's after the ship is done in Alaska and done her newly minted Panama Canal cruises. It's in between those and her repo to South America. No worries. You're sailing is unaffected by it. I do look forward to your report and hopefully pictures! :D

The charter is much later in the season... it's after the ship is done in Alaska and done her newly minted Panama Canal cruises. It's in between those and her repo to South America. No worries. You're sailing is unaffected by it. I do look forward to your report and hopefully pictures! :D

Thank you! I'll take lots if pics.

Hopefully we'll notice some nice changes to the SUN.

Thank you! I'll take lots if pics.

Hopefully we'll notice some nice changes to the SUN.

When I saw this thread, my gut reaction was, Gawd it NEEDS it.

After last years cruise, its the only NCL ship I said, never again.

Hope its in much better condition soon! Good luck.

Is there anyone in San Francisco right now? Maybe someone could swing by and snap a picture for us! :D

Go to the thread "Why did the Sun not leave SF" and you'll see photos of her in dry dock posted by a local.

Go to the thread "Why did the Sun not leave SF" and you'll see photos of her in dry dock posted by a local.

Thanks! I found them. They're awesome! Even if her under-side is the only thing getting worked on... at least I know she'll get me from point A to point B! :D

Is there anyone in San Francisco right now? Maybe someone could swing by and snap a picture for us! :D

If you are on INSTAGRAM and search #NorwegianSun you will see lots of recent/current photos of the Sun in drydock.

I hope we see some cosmetic improvements.

They would probably have done more - earlier plans had her in drydock until closer to sail time for a non revenue trip to Vancouver BC. Later they added the quick pacific coastal and alaska trip - 4 ports in 8 days - they will probably still be putting final touches on interior upgrades during the entire trip.

I also saw that for the Dawn, they added one and took away two cruises around her drydock - her current 10 day voyage (starting today) was added and the first two June Bermuda cruises were cancelled.

I'm here on the the Sun. Don't expect much in terms of cosmetic upgrades. Yes, new carpet in the atrium. We viewed many rooms prior to others as we sneaked onto deck 9 before they announced the cabins were ready. Found it difficult to see any improvements. Asked our cabin steward if beds were changed and the answer was "some".. ok, thanks. Ours, 9072aft., appear fresher but not exactly new. Hope this helps.

I'm here on the the Sun. Don't expect much in terms of cosmetic upgrades. Yes, new carpet in the atrium. We viewed many rooms prior to others as we sneaked onto deck 9 before they announced the cabins were ready. Found it difficult to see any improvements. Asked our cabin steward if beds were changed and the answer was "some".. ok, thanks. Ours, 9072aft., appear fresher but not exactly new. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the update. I'm in the lobby waiting to check in and board. I'm ready to get this trip started!! Since I've never sailed this ship, I guess I don't have many expectations. I'm just happy to be off work :)

Thank you suzycruise for the information and the photos. I am soaking up as much information as possible as I will be sailing on the Sun for the first time in October for 14 days through the Panama Canal. I am so excited I can hardly contain it! I will also be on the aft in a mini suite also on Deck 9 so hopefully our cabin will also have some freshness/updates to it as well (or at least a new mattress). Enjoy your cruise!

Have a great cruise.

FWIW, in February, our mini on deck 11 had newer sofa covering, carpet and drapes. Nice neutral colors. And the bathroom in the mini was terrific. We did get to see one of the owner's suites and it had also been updated before the dry dock

Any chance they changed the hours in the Sports Bar or Tapas place to include breakfast or lunch? I just didn't understand why they were only open in the evening.

My favorite bartenders were at the poolside bar, observation lounge and champagne bar.

Bon Voyage!