Is the Sun scheduled to be refurbished?

Stockjock

Thank you for the updates suzycruise! :) Keep them coming and please post in this thread when your review is up! I hope you've had a pleasant voyage!

Hi. I'm still in Vancouver for a post-cruise mini-holiday. I'll post a report when I return to home base in the SFBAYAREA.

Truly there isn't much to show in terms of pictures as not too much cosmetic work was done to the Sun that I could see.

I'll attach a few here of my cabin tho..4be7dc43d7ee8b64a3b6abfc7e1904e8.jpg5cbebc6cefe5bf22f37daaebab8722cc.jpgaad13a4a2b738a999e7d73adbbe56e84.jpg

Any more pics?

My balcony in 9072- large enough for one lounge chair and a regular chair.

73957c401b83629635914003030e541a.jpg

Sofas still need replacement c17fe7e35e4c44fe65f641b506223def.jpg

New carpet in some common areas like the Garden Cafe

5ee93fe5fc957e61716647a78ea78859.jpg

Overall the ship was clean and well maintained. Internet speed was a bit faster. Enjoy your cruise.

This is my favorite update. The two open elevator buttons with the close label.

Oh my! Methinks somebody got a tad confuzzled when originally installing the buttons and labels in those elevators! That's hilarious! (And you know somebody had to go test the buttons to put the correct labels on!)

I'm on the Sun. ....

The Sports bar is still open from 5pm - 5am. I had fish and chips there last night and heartburn until early morning. Lol.

That's my update for now.

Sailing on the Sun to South America in Nov.

Thanks for all the updates and photos. Since you mentioned food, I thought I'd ask you a food question.

The “Norwegian Edge” promo posted on CC mentioned many upgrades, including a “focus on raising the level of dining …. New test menus crafted for the complimentary dining rooms onboard Norwegian's Escape, will be rolled out to the rest of the fleet. Look for options like prime rib, rack of lamb and chateaubriand -- again, this is in the no-charge dining rooms. … Norwegian's specialty restaurants are also getting new menus"

How do YOU think it measured up to the promo???

Thanks -

Elaine/ Travelnn

Sailing on the Sun to South America in Nov.

Thanks for all the updates and photos. Since you mentioned food, I thought I'd ask you a food question.

The “Norwegian Edge” promo posted on CC mentioned many upgrades, including a “focus on raising the level of dining …. New test menus crafted for the complimentary dining rooms onboard Norwegian's Escape, will be rolled out to the rest of the fleet. Look for options like prime rib, rack of lamb and chateaubriand -- again, this is in the no-charge dining rooms. … Norwegian's specialty restaurants are also getting new menus"

How do YOU think it measured up to the promo???

Thanks -

Elaine/ Travelnn

Apparently, from my recent experience on the Sun, that rollout of new no-fee elevated dining experiences have yet to reach the Sun. I ate in both Le Bistro (loved the lamb chops) and La Cucina (hated the over-cooked, tough and dry chicken parmesan) only because we got free meals through Latitudes. I ate lunch in 4 seasons and it was mediocre at best. I ordered the scallop rockefeller as an appetizer. There was a mini-marshmallow size piece of scallop in each tiny bowl of floating butter. The bread is good tho. In the garden cafe you can always find a Indian curry dish which I enjoyed. The meat selections seem to always be overcooked and tough. The Great Outdoors was not much better. When I was on the Sun in 2013 I could always find freshly grilled hamburger patties and fresh, hot french fries but not the case this time. Hotdogs.. yes., always, but that's a "no" for me. I did in no means starve, but I'm happy to say that I didn't gain weight either. Room service is still a joke. NCL should be ashamed to charge for the food they deliver to the cabins. Only used room service once because of disappointment in quality of food. I ordered a simple turkey sandwich. How can you screw that up? Well, they don't deliver the food as it is described. A simple thing, but if the description says "whole wheat bread" I expected that and not dry white bread. Stale potato chips too! Yuck. You can still get a pot of coffee delivered to your cabin between 6-9:30am along with the tiniest danishes and croissants. Order 6 to get the size of a normal one.

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me what "viewing areas" are available on the Sun? Going to Alaska in 2017, never been on NCL so I'm not sure what's available, i.e. is there aft and forwarding facing areas, on the top deck is there high glass all the way around or some areas with railings only?

Thanks

Can anyone tell me what "viewing areas" are available on the Sun? Going to Alaska in 2017, never been on NCL so I'm not sure what's available, i.e. is there aft and forwarding facing areas, on the top deck is there high glass all the way around or some areas with railings only?

Thanks

Yes there are both aft and forward facing public areas. Aft there is The Great Outdoors which has a bar and serves as outdoor seating for both The Garden Cafe' (buffet) and The Sports Bar. There is a railing here but no glass.

Forward there is The Observation Lounge which is enclosed and has large glass windows on three sides. Directly in front of the Lounge and accessible via doors on either side of the lounge, is a very wide walkway with a rail and no glass. Two decks further up, is a very large area open to the sky that has as i recall, high glass walls. I seem to recall I was able to take pictures over it but I am six foot seven so not everyone can be so lucky.

Lastly, Sun has a promenade that encircles the whole ship though there is no view forward, it does allow for views on the sides and aft. On the sides there are occasional seating areas (not enough IMHO) but to the aft it is a very narrow walkway.

Have a great trip!

Kalliyan1-not sure what you are asking. Of course there are viewing areas all over. There is the observation lounge (deck 12), which is good to view Hubbard Glacier, but you will be unable to see if you are sitting onside, as there is an outside area in front which people will be on, blocking the view from inside. Above it, there is an outdoors area to stand and view. It is very, very cold at the glacier. Having seen it twice before, we grabbed a table at the Sports Bar, but viewing is good from other venues on Deck 11, like The Garden Buffet, Moderno, and The Great Outdoors, which is an open area on Deck 11 Aft. At the glacier, the ship will usually turn (in the past, it has done 360's, but just disembarked yesterday and ship turned, but not in complete 360's this time). Deck 6 is almost completely open (walking/jogging deck). Good views also from Deck 7 Champagne Bar and area on other side of the Atrium Deck 7. Hope that helps. :)