Is the Sun scheduled to be refurbished?

Stockjock

We sailed the Sun in October and spoke with Brian (The Hotel Director). Refurbishing is scheduled in April, new carpet, linens etc. Not sure about any re-configuring. We have booked Alaska for May in the Sun, so we'll see.

Thanks. We're on her for 14 days starting May 30th, and looking forward to having a sparkling new ship :)

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have any more information of the Sun's dry dock? Maybe someone sailed on her and found something out? There are a bunch of us wanting to know. Thanks in advance!

We sailed on the Sun Jan. 30th. Most of the crew didn't know the dry dock had been shortened. Only specific thing mentioned by the Hotel Director was that 1,800 mattresses had been ordered. We thought the ship was in pretty good shape. Our stateroom drapes, carpet & the chair and sofa covers were not that old and in nice neutral colors.

Edited by herdingdogmom

• 4 weeks later...
We just booked the May 8th cruise, so we will be the first pax after refurbishment. I will try to post when we return home what changes were made.

Hopefully you won't be delayed a day similar to what happened with the Pride of America. I don't think the Sun is going through a dry dock as extensive as what the Pride of America went through.

I am thankful for what others have posted so far on this topic, and would be receptive to any new info coming off of recent Sun cruisers.

We were on the Sun in January. Yes, the carpet and other soft goods need a redo, but certainly enjoyed the ship. Love the front observation lounge, and there are lots of places around the ship to sit and enjoy. Booked again Mar 2017 and am anxious to hear what they are doing.

• 2 weeks later...

See post #1546 on the April 9 roll call thread. According to the current Hotel Director on board, the upcoming dry dock will be for engine maintenance only, with other changes on hold until the next dry dock in 2018.

This would explain why the dry dock was shortened and the May 8-16 voyage (SF to Vancouver) added as recently as January.

See post #1546 on the April 9 roll call thread. According to the current Hotel Director on board, the upcoming dry dock will be for engine maintenance only, with other changes on hold until the next dry dock in 2018.

This would explain why the dry dock was shortened and the May 8-16 voyage (SF to Vancouver) added as recently as January.

That is very interesting, as that ship really needed a facelift. It was fine this February as the price was right. I just cancelled our Sun cruise for next year South America. For our suite the price was almost double, with fewer perks. Decided it wasn't worth it.

I would love a refurbished ship but I chose the Sun for a 2 week adventure August 15th because of the the Glaciers. I read about Glacier Bay and I really wanted to see Vancouver. I booked a balcony for the view and I am not expecting it to be as pretty as the Carnival's Dream was. I hope it isn't as outdated as some people whine about but hey, it's Alaska and being happy is a choice that I am going to make. I just really hope I don't get sick after leaving Florida during the hottest time of the year to go to a chilly, rainy, ice filled area! I'll just have to kill the germs while enjoying that Free Ultimate Drink Package ;-)

I would love a refurbished ship but I chose the Sun for a 2 week adventure August 15th because of the the Glaciers. I read about Glacier Bay and I really wanted to see Vancouver. I booked a balcony for the view and I am not expecting it to be as pretty as the Carnival's Dream was. I hope it isn't as outdated as some people whine about but hey, it's Alaska and being happy is a choice that I am going to make. I just really hope I don't get sick after leaving Florida during the hottest time of the year to go to a chilly, rainy, ice filled area! I'll just have to kill the germs while enjoying that Free Ultimate Drink Package ;-)

We Floridians will all have to be prepared to bundle up on our Alaska cruises!

That's a bummer! I'm on the San Francisco to Vancouver run starting May 8th. I was looking forward to some Sun newness.

Thats a bummer. We decided to never sail on it again, unless it gets a major

overhaul. There are other "ships" in the sea. Adios Sun.

Edited by CalLuvsCrusingToo

Thats a bummer. We decided to never sail on it again, unless it gets a major

overhaul. There are other "ships" in the sea. Adios Sun.

I chose the itinerary over the ship but the idea of a refurbished SUN was a bonus. Hopefully it's true about the beds being purchased. After all, this is the Internet and one can't believe everything we read or hear. I'll enjoy this cruise for the experience of sailing under The Golden Gate Bridge, viewing wildlife both on land and sea and eating fresh seafood in ports.

A website that tracks refurbishments (cruisemapper.com)shows the following:

Norwegian Sun2016 April-May

extensive updates to public areas and staterooms.

The website had dates and refurb information for other ships, and it appeared accurate for those that have been completed in 2015 and 2016. Perhaps the refurb is more than just engine maintenance. I am on the May 8th cruise, and will update post cruise.

If the refurb does not involve structural changes - changes/relocation of venues/walls, new cabins, etc and is merely cosmetic, a lot can be accomplished in a few days as workers typically work around the clock.

I suspect we will see new fabrics, carpets, possibly some new chairs, etc, maybe some new hard flooring and so on, but nothing earth shattering. Replacing mattresses would be easily accomplished as well

The website had dates and refurb information for other ships, and it appeared accurate for those that have been completed in 2015 and 2016. Perhaps the refurb is more than just engine maintenance. I am on the May 8th cruise, and will update post cruise.

Looking forward to a report on the refurb after your cruise. We'll be sailing on the Sun shortly after you and are curious about what to expect.

• 2 weeks later...

Be prepared. Contractors were put on board in Huatulco and negatively impacted the last few days of what was supposed to be a memorable cruise. I suspect that, is there are empty cabins, contractors may still be on board during the first cruise post dry dock.

We left the ship early in LA because of the workers who, in my opinion, viewed the passengers as impediments to getting their tasks done.