Is the Sun scheduled to be refurbished?

Stockjock

We are sailing on the Sun in October so we too will enjoy sailing shortly after a refurb. Does anyone know if they are doing anything in particular to the cabins themselves? New carpet or other changes? We are sailing in an aft mini suite (first time on the aft)! So excited!

I hope there's a significant refurbishment and reconfiguration of the specialty restaurants. The Cagney's/Teppanyaki space especially is in need of a major overhaul due to its former East Meets West existence. I would also like to see Ramblas converted into another specialty restaurant.

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

• 3 weeks later...

I was on the Sun to Alaska in May of 2015. There are loads of great places on deck, including the porch like area forward of the observation lounge, to see Alaska, not to mention a full promenade. The Sun is a great ship right now, even without all the bells and whistles of a new mega ship. Sure she is a little long in the tooth (so am I ;)), but she is a classy old broad. Besides, if you're sailing to Alaska, you'll have a hell of a lot more to look at than the inside of a ship!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Looking even more forward to our June sailing in Alaska. We're in a mini - I'm hoping for upgraded or even replaced couches. Have been reading they are threadbare in spots.

I agree with the Star losing the spinnaker lounge for suites. We sailed her in Hawaii in 2003 and loved the Spinnaker. Can't see myself sailing on any ship without an observation lounge. I'm always concerned when Jewel class ships go into drydock if they come out with Spinnaker in tact. Good to know the Sun will be left as she was intended!

Looks like we will be on the first sailing after the referb. Sailing RT Vancouver leaving May 22.

According to the schedule, May 16th out of Vancouver will be the first sailing after refurbishment. We have booked this cruise and are looking forward to sailing on a refreshed ship. I promise not to wear her out while on-board. :)

According to the schedule, May 16th out of Vancouver will be the first sailing after refurbishment. We have booked this cruise and are looking forward to sailing on a refreshed ship. I promise not to wear her out while on-board. :)

I have to take this back, I found out that there is a sailing out of San Fransisco on the 8th heading North to Alaska ending in Vancouver. Still it will be nice to have a fresh, clean ship to board.

Gene

We are sailing on the Sun in October so we too will enjoy sailing shortly after a refurb. Does anyone know if they are doing anything in particular to the cabins themselves? New carpet or other changes? We are sailing in an aft mini suite (first time on the aft)! So excited!

Be prepared. You'll think you died and went to heaven when you see your aft mini. The bathroom/closet area is larger than we had in an aft penthouse on the Dawn last October. :D

I have to take this back, I found out that there is a sailing out of San Fransisco on the 8th heading North to Alaska ending in Vancouver. Still it will be nice to have a fresh, clean ship to board.

Gene

If that is the case, then it leaves only 8 clear days for the refurbishment - Apr 30 to May 7. Is that much time enough for refurbishing a ship. I am not too familiar with as to how long it normally takes.

In another thread, a woman said the Norwegian Sun was going to be refurbished in April 2016. I can't find info on that anywhere. There is an April 29th stop in San Francisco that could be a quick upgrade, but no idea if that's going to happen and again, no evidence of dry dock.

I was last on the Sun in early 2008 and from what I've seen, it could definitely use some upgrading.

Anyone heard anything about a possible refurbishing of the Sun?

The wife and I are booked on the Sun arriving in SF 29th April. Interesting our final payment confirmation indicates 4/29/2016 Dry Dock.

The next itinerary for the Sun is an 8 night cruise May 8th from SF to Vancouver

Could be just a scheduled hull, running gear inspection

Edited by Capalaba

• 3 weeks later...

All that the NCL site says is "Dry Dock" 2016 Q2, so that's probably not a major refurbishment to the extent that it would involve adding whole suites in place of a lounge (that would involve plumbing and power changes). We can hope it will at least involve deep-cleaning rooms and replacing worn furniture and the like.