Ovation of the seas single cruisers super studio ripoff??

Hi,

Im looking at the Ovation of the Seas cruise on 23rd January 2017 and they are _supposed_ to have no single supplement on the super studio ocean view stateroom with balcony. This is because they were basically designed with the solo traveller in mind. The problem is they are charging nearly $5000 for one person and this is the same price as a single person would pay for a normal balcony cabin (in comparison its $2300 or so each for share twin in the normal balcony cabin). This seems to defeat the whole purpose of what these cabins were made for, ie to make a nice cabin affordable for the solo traveller........ I think greed, thinking they will get that price anyway??

Hi,

Im looking at the Ovation of the Seas cruise on 23rd January 2017 and they are _supposed_ to have no single supplement on the super studio ocean view stateroom with balcony. This is because they were basically designed with the solo traveller in mind. The problem is they are charging nearly $5000 for one person and this is the same price as a single person would pay for a normal balcony cabin (in comparison its $2300 or so each for share twin in the normal balcony cabin). This seems to defeat the whole purpose of what these cabins were made for, ie to make a nice cabin affordable for the solo traveller........ I think greed, thinking they will get that price anyway??

Itineraries on Ovation are a lot more expensive than those on other ships. I just checked Cruising Power and there is one single inside available (cat M) for that sailing for $3884.45 including $75obc. I guess if you just want to be on the ship, that would be the best option...

Edited by Royalty X

I am thinking supply and demand.

When the cruise was first released about 6 months ago the solo balconies were good value and very popular especially as there are only 12 in the whole ship. Over time the pricing adjusts from the initial pricing according to the principle of supply and demand within each category.

At this point if 2 people were to try and book the solo room (and were allowed to) then the cost would be about $8,000 - $10,000 so there is no single suppliment on the price.

Interestingly when I booked solo balconies for 2 cruises on the Ovation transit from Europe to Asia the price was several thousand dollars cheaper per cruise than buying standard internal cabins.

Cruise pricing has always been set on a per cabin basis....

Its usually twin share .

Check out what P&O get when they squeeze 4 into a quad cabin. Sometimes its cheaper per each , but the Company usually makes more on the total for that cabin.

I booked on this cruise a couple of months back and going solo and paid $3034 for Interior Stateroom with Virtual Balcony I thought it was a pretty good price for a newish ship and 14 nights.

I don't really bother looking at the single cabins. You can normally get a normal cabin for similar size.

Edited by icat2000

I think one of the silly things is that these studios are smaller than the normal balcony cabins but the extra room is just passed off onto a much bigger balcony, so I think they basically take the same space. Thus I think it is priced on a per cabin basis. Norwegian, I think, does true solo cabins where they are inside studios with their own lounge area and are priced with no single supplement. I guess RCI does not want to lose revenue from a balcony space. If your a single person you may as well spend the few hundred extra and get the full balcony cabin for yourself.