Majesty of the Seas Am I Crazy?

A little disappointing because this cruise was booked with an 8 year old and 11 year old in mind. The lack of the slide is probably more disappointing than the Dreamworks experience.

Same here as we booked because we will have our 8 & 10 year old granddaughters with us.

I just booked Majesty of the Seas for May 23, 2016 because I could NOT pass up the price! $278 pp for 4 nights with $100 OBC. Now I'm reading that may be the first cruise after the refurbishment. Am I crazy to go on this cruise? How bad could it be? I'm thinking my biggest worry may be they are delayed in construction and it gets cancelled :(

If you are planning to book the Majesty - DON'T

The schedule of activities was horrible. The cruise director was on of the worst we've had The times for the show times was terrible. Food was tolerable but not good. There was a deli on the ship but we never were able to go there due to port times changed their open times. If you wanted something as a snack after 9 PM, your choice was Pizza- and that's it. No pastries, cookies or even milk. For lunch I couldn't even get a sandwich because everything was a hot meal. I'm not used to having a hot greasy meal for lunch. They had minute steaks but there was no bread to make a sandwich. Even a hamburger roll would have been OK but they were not available in the buffet because it was against the policy of Johnny Rockets. Breakfast was the only meal in the Windjammer buffet that was well stocked with plenty of choices. The dinner menu in the main dining room was terrible and the meats, though they had different names, all tasted the same. The schedule of show times (especially when there was only one show) made it very difficult to eat dinner and get their for show time.

This is not just an isolated experience since I did 3 cruises on RCL in a row, Two on the Radiance and one on the Serenade. As far as the singers and dancers were concerned, the dancing was fair but the harmony of the singers was horrible, The guest entertainers were pretty good. The chairs in the main theater were very uncomfortable unless you were a "little person". The seat backs were very low. The one high lite was on the Serenade when a group called ABBACADABRA performed their ABBA songs. The audience went wild with enjoyment and every seat was taken with people standing 5 deep at the top of the theater because there were no seats. They should schedule this group on more ships and more frequently.

In summary, I am not a complainer (though it seems this way for this review) and I have taken close to 80 cruises, many on RCL, however, If ( and I emphasize IF) I ever book another RCL cruise,. it will have to be a deal I cannot refuse. My cruise from now on will be on Carnival, Princess, Holland America or Celebrity.

If you are planning on booking this ship, take it from an experienced cruiser (80 cruises) and book another ship or cruise line.

If you are planning to book the Majesty - DON'T

The schedule of activities was horrible. The cruise director was on of the worst we've had The times for the show times was terrible. Food was tolerable but not good. There was a deli on the ship but we never were able to go there due to port times changed their open times. If you wanted something as a snack after 9 PM, your choice was Pizza- and that's it. No pastries, cookies or even milk. For lunch I couldn't even get a sandwich because everything was a hot meal. I'm not used to having a hot greasy meal for lunch. They had minute steaks but there was no bread to make a sandwich. Even a hamburger roll would have been OK but they were not available in the buffet because it was against the policy of Johnny Rockets. Breakfast was the only meal in the Windjammer buffet that was well stocked with plenty of choices. The dinner menu in the main dining room was terrible and the meats, though they had different names, all tasted the same. The schedule of show times (especially when there was only one show) made it very difficult to eat dinner and get their for show time.

This is not just an isolated experience since I did 3 cruises on RCL in a row, Two on the Radiance and one on the Serenade. As far as the singers and dancers were concerned, the dancing was fair but the harmony of the singers was horrible, The guest entertainers were pretty good. The chairs in the main theater were very uncomfortable unless you were a "little person". The seat backs were very low. The one high lite was on the Serenade when a group called ABBACADABRA performed their ABBA songs. The audience went wild with enjoyment and every seat was taken with people standing 5 deep at the top of the theater because there were no seats. They should schedule this group on more ships and more frequently.

In summary, I am not a complainer (though it seems this way for this review) and I have taken close to 80 cruises, many on RCL, however, If ( and I emphasize IF) I ever book another RCL cruise,. it will have to be a deal I cannot refuse. My cruise from now on will be on Carnival, Princess, Holland America or Celebrity.

If you are planning on booking this ship, take it from an experienced cruiser (80 cruises) and book another ship or cruise line.

Somehow I remember reading this post in another thread. That would say to me, that you have your own agenda in posting this in several places than just offering your opinion. Everyone has their own POV on things and I can appreciate that....but in the last line you write "book another ship or cruise line" --- someone I get the feeling that you are more disappointed in the cruise line overall and using this thread to add that tidbit, especially when I reread the "In Summary" paragraph.

Keep in mind that Celebrity cruises is part of the Royal family of cruise lines, so your money would still be going to the same corporation.

We've been on over 20 cruises, and never once had a major issue, especially with food!! sailing on the Majesty during valentines.

Like you, we have been on Her Majesty of the Seas departing 2/15/16 for our 12th time on THAT ship, and always have had a good time...and expect to have one again!

I booked a cruise on the Majesty for October, 2016 to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I've read so many bad reviews. I am a little concerned about it but I will do my best to enjoy my time away from home and work. We sailed before on Disney and Carnival and after the Carnival trip I swore I'd never cruise again. It was not clean and the food was very ify. Disney was awesome which is to be expected. I am a little disappointed that the refurbishments won't be to the extent as originally stated. I hear the staterooms could use some upgrades and they aren't even listed as getting anything done. Please everyone who is going before us post your comments back on here so I can see what you think of the refurbishments that they do manage to do.

I booked a cruise on the Majesty for October, 2016 to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I've read so many bad reviews. I am a little concerned about it but I will do my best to enjoy my time away from home and work. We sailed before on Disney and Carnival and after the Carnival trip I swore I'd never cruise again. It was not clean and the food was very ify. Disney was awesome which is to be expected. I am a little disappointed that the refurbishments won't be to the extent as originally stated. I hear the staterooms could use some upgrades and they aren't even listed as getting anything done. Please everyone who is going before us post your comments back on here so I can see what you think of the refurbishments that they do manage to do.

I have been on Her Majesty eleven times and our 12th will be next week. The crew is always cleaning things around the ship and general maintenance gets done all the time. They don't wait for a refurb to repair or replace things that need replacing. They do more major things during a refurb, but I have never seen the ship not to be 'clean'. I have no idea what the phrase "the food was very ify"..... were you worried that "IF" the food was cooked....perhaps it was not 'to your taste' and taste is very subjective. On some of our cruises we have had a better 'wait staff' than others, and perhaps on some of our cruises the service was slower than we would like, but we speak to our waiter and discuss it, especially if we have plans for after dinner and don't want it to take 'too too long'.....but the flip side would be feeling rushed and I certainly would not want to have that.

I am disappointed that they are not doing all the things that they had originally stated for the refurb, especially since the ship is remaining, it seems, in the fleet for the forseeable future and the ship has competition from others offering more. Clearly the decision was made based on things that we cruisers do not know.

I am sure when you on Her Majesty, you will have a good time. It has been our experience that what the ship lacks the staff and crew make up for in giving cruisers a wonderful sailing.

I'm beginning to wonder if she is going to be around for a while after all. Seems like they don't want to invest any money in her. That could be a sign of a short future
'

Time will tell what her 'foreseeable future' will hold, for sure. They can put out a schedule of deployments when the new calendar comes out and change it anyway. Never know.

'

Time will tell what her 'foreseeable future' will hold, for sure. They can put out a schedule of deployments when the new calendar comes out and change it anyway. Never know.

Looks like you're going to miss the opportunity to book the new schedule while onboard. I'm excited because we should have that opportunity in both March and April

I'm beginning to wonder if she is going to be around for a while after all. Seems like they don't want to invest any money in her. That could be a sign of a short future

That was my feeling when they pulled back on all the improvements thay had planned.

Looks like you're going to miss the opportunity to book the new schedule while onboard. I'm excited because we should have that opportunity in both March and April

Our plan next week is to finalize a sailing on Freedom for Thanksgiving 2016 and perhaps find a weekend cruise to do on Empress, if they have the ability to schedule for August of 2016. This will most likely be our last cruise on Her Majesty.....we have had fun on her while she has been here.

• 4 weeks later...

Hm, I've read so many mixed reviews on the Majesty! We are going in April, before the refurb. As it is my mother's first cruise, I really hope that the hot-tubs are functional, and other things are put straight. I hate for her to be disappointed on her first cruise! :eek:

Hm, I've read so many mixed reviews on the Majesty! We are going in April, before the refurb. As it is my mother's first cruise, I really hope that the hot-tubs are functional, and other things are put straight. I hate for her to be disappointed on her first cruise! :eek:

Latte-tudes on Deck 5 in the Centrum where the Shops are

Windjammer is Deck 11

Compass Deli is Deck 12, or you can get to it from the interior stairs in the WJ

Sorrentos is also Deck 12 or you can get to it from the interior stairs in the WJ

Dining Room assignments are from Deck 3 or 4.

Johnny Rockets (for fee) is on Deck 12 also. It isn't open for breakfast. We only enjoy the milkshakes from there....they are worth paying for.

Edited by Paulette3028

Latte-tudes on Deck 5 in the Centrum where the Shops are

Windjammer is Deck 11

Compass Deli is Deck 12, or you can get to it from the interior stairs in the WJ

Sorrentos is also Deck 12 or you can get to it from the interior stairs in the WJ

Dining Room assignments are from Deck 3 or 4.

Johnny Rockets (for fee) is on Deck 12 also. It isn't open for breakfast. We only enjoy the milkshakes from there....they are worth paying for.

Thank you!!!

We are also booked 5/23 and looking forward to it. Love Marc Walker, one of the best CD in my opinion. ALSO John Denton is the hotel manager, the best in the fleet IMHO. We were hoping that all the upgrades would be done but we discovered that was not the case but we will try it anyway. I've understood that many from South Florida love the Majesty so they all can't be wrong!!:D

• 4 weeks later...