Internet cards for crew gifts?

CPCruisers

Does anyone know if they still sell internet minute cards and if crew members still like to receive them? I seem to remember reading that is a nice gift to give them so they can call home. We will be cruising over Christmas and I was thinking of getting a little something as an actual wrapped gift to give especially nice crew members. Any other ideas as far as a little gift crew members might appreciate? Thanks!

Cash, while it is king as pieshops mentioned is not a gift in my opinion, and that is what the OP is looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the point obviously was not to give a gift at all but extra cash it you really want to give something

Does anyone know if they still sell internet minute cards and if crew members still like to receive them? I seem to remember reading that is a nice gift to give them so they can call home. We will be cruising over Christmas and I was thinking of getting a little something as an actual wrapped gift to give especially nice crew members. Any other ideas as far as a little gift crew members might appreciate? Thanks!

I agree that cash is better, the crew all know where the free wifi spots are in port. I have a friend who works for NCL and every port day we online chat, sometimes for hours, and also are able to call using the facebook phone app. It's not the same as it used to be that their only way to call home was to pay high international rates. I don't think they use the cards anymore.

Very kind thought, though.

I always say "If you want to know where there is free WiFi in any port ask a crew member", they know.

I wonder how people got on with the Sun going to South America on the inaugural run; the crew wouldn't know!!

It will be the same with the opening of the Asia cruises too.

Mike

I always say "If you want to know where there is free WiFi in any port ask a crew member", they know.

I wonder how people got on with the Sun going to South America on the inaugural run; the crew wouldn't know!!

Mike

It's trial and error for the first few cruises for sure.

Mike

only of if it is a new port* or new to cruising person, it isn't like the wi-fi spots only work for certain boat's crew.

* i am unfamiliar with this particular cruise so maybe it is new ports

Edited by vampiress

the point obviously was not to give a gift at all but extra cash it you really want to give something

I see no problem giving a gift as long as it isn't going to reduce the cash one would already be giving as tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bring large Christmas stockings filled with chocolate

And a small tree for my cabin and a large wreath for my door

We drive to port so no big deal to carry them.

Lol....no please don't give a phone/internet card

Give cash in a nice Christmas card.

Of course not sure why there is a need to give anything other than the dsc and th extra $20 I give the steward

Why? Because quite frankly the vast majority of crew do not celebrate Christmas

Yes I do celebrate and am no Scrooge....but if I were to sail at Christmas (I sail in early January) I wouldn't give anything extra as I'm about 100% sure Christmas is not a holiday for the steward

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

On another line, crew members get 50% off the price of ship cards. I can't guarantee it's the same at NCL, but the rate crew pays wouldn't be worse than what a guest pays.

If you feel the need to hang onto your own notion of what a 'gift' is, whatever. I can't help you.

If you want to maximize the help you're giving THEM, give cash.

As others have said, cash is king, and cash is a fine gift. If you say otherwise, you don't or have never had teenagers.

If you must do a "gift", write them a heart-felt thank you note (and I would add cash to that). But be sure to fill out a vacation hero card - that can add up to days off.

On another line, crew members get 50% off the price of ship cards. I can't guarantee it's the same at NCL, but the rate crew pays wouldn't be worse than what a guest pays.

If you feel the need to hang onto your own notion of what a 'gift' is, whatever. I can't help you.

If you want to maximize the help you're giving THEM, give cash.

It's the same on NCL, they get a really good discount, but when you consider the astronomical fees for internet, it still costs them a lot. That's why they all head to the free spots with good interntet.

There are days that they can't leave and for those, the onboard bought minutes work really well for them. If gift cards for THOSE minutes were available, they'd likely really appreciate it, but guests can't buy those for staff.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

As others have said, cash is king, and cash is a fine gift. If you say otherwise, you don't or have never had teenagers.

If you must do a "gift", write them a heart-felt thank you note (and I would add cash to that). But be sure to fill out a vacation hero card - that can add up to days off.

Vacation Hero cards are really valued by crew members because promotions can result.

Edited by NMLady

Thanks everyone for the feedback. My intention was not to reduce the normal (generous) tips we give our cabin crew but an additional "gift" to acknowledge the holidays. This is for both the cabin crew and other crew that standout and provide appreciated service. It has been a few years since we last cruised and at that time the internet cards were a popular and appreciated gift.

How do the crew hero cards work?

I think I will bring some holiday cards and when I get on board grab some of the crew hero cards and have carry some with me so if we encounter a situation where we receive exemplary service I will fill out both a holiday card and a crew hero card and put a few $$ in the envelope for the crew member and tell them I have submitted the crew hero card for them. Not the same as a little wrapped gift in my mind, especially if you can find something small that the crew would appreciate, but it will do!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. My intention was not to reduce the normal (generous) tips we give our cabin crew but an additional "gift" to acknowledge the holidays. This is for both the cabin crew and other crew that standout and provide appreciated service. It has been a few years since we last cruised and at that time the internet cards were a popular and appreciated gift.

How do the crew hero cards work?

I think I will bring some holiday cards and when I get on board grab some of the crew hero cards and have carry some with me so if we encounter a situation where we receive exemplary service I will fill out both a holiday card and a crew hero card and put a few $$ in the envelope for the crew member and tell them I have submitted the crew hero card for them. Not the same as a little wrapped gift in my mind, especially if you can find something small that the crew would appreciate, but it will do!

You sound like a very generous person. Merry Christmas and have a great cruise.

As a former crew member yes there is nothing like getting an extra tip. But being away from our families during the holidays is very hard. It is nice to know that you are appreciated. Getting a card and a piece of chocolate went a long way, at least for me. There is nothing wrong with showing your appreciation. It is very untrue that the crew doesn't care. Many of them do really care and want to make your vacation as good for you as they can.

I also agree with filling out the hero cards is a wonderful touch as well. Everything is based on ratings. Letting the crew know you submitted a card is a bonus.

I think it is up to everyone to do what they feel works for them in showing appreciation. Extra tip, a small gift, a card, evaluation card and so on.

Hope this helps

Cheers