Stateroom difference

Sles23

Hoping someone can help me out here. Does anyone know what the different is between a category V and a category VE is on the Eurodam? As far as I can tell, it's all about location but is there any other difference? Thanks in advance

Right now I have a VE guarantee but we can upgrade to a V guarantee. However, if I upgrade, I'll lose my $150 OBC. Trying to figure out if it is worth it. Considering I don't really care where my room is, I don't think it will be worth it but I value anyones opinion on this. Thanks so much!!!

Right now I have a VE guarantee but we can upgrade to a V guarantee. However, if I upgrade, I'll lose my $150 OBC. Trying to figure out if it is worth it. Considering I don't really care where my room is, I don't think it will be worth it but I value anyones opinion on this. Thanks so much!!!
Unfortunately with a VE Gty you may still be "upgraded" to a deck 5 V. With the small balconies over the lifeboats, IMHO they should have remained categorized as VE. But at least if they do that you would still keep the OBC.

I would keep VE and $150 OBC. That will help with a bar bill or the daily hotel service charge.

if you don't get an upgrade to better than a VE, you will have a very forward stateroom on Upper Veranda deck. These staterooms have a steel balcony wall which you cannot see through while sitting. If you are willing to accept this, stay with the VE guarantee. Otherwise I'd be looking for something else!

One problem with "guarantees" is that you are often "upgraded" to a room that you don't want. For this reason many people, including myself, request specific room numbers. The guarantees will usually give you a slightly better price, but HAL and all other cruise lines, use these guarantees to "upgrade" customers into rooms they cannot fill because of some undesirable feature.

I have never been in a V room, but I understand that HAL gets very few requests for them, because of small balconies. So HAL fills these undesirable rooms with people like yourself, thinking they got a real upgrade.

I would recommend that you change your reservation and book a specific room, unless you end up losing a substantial amount of money. Or, maybe you are fine with the smaller balcony, if you get "upgraded."

if you don't get an upgrade to better than a VE' date=' you will have a very forward stateroom on Upper Veranda deck. These staterooms have a steel balcony wall which you cannot see through while sitting. If you are willing to accept this, stay with the VE guarantee. Otherwise I'd be looking for something else![/quote']There are no VE on the Upper Verandah deck. Most of the steel-wall-railing cabins on the Upper Promenade deck are VF, although there are five VE down there. Most of the VE are in the forward or aft sections of deck 7 and 8, and therefore that is where an assigned VE is likely to be. All of but the five VE on deck 4 have Plexiglas railings.
Edited by jtl513

One problem with "guarantees" is that you are often "upgraded" to a room that you don't want. For this reason many people, including myself, request specific room numbers. The guarantees will usually give you a slightly better price, but HAL and all other cruise lines, use these guarantees to "upgrade" customers into rooms they cannot fill because of some undesirable feature.

I have never been in a V room, but I understand that HAL gets very few requests for them, because of small balconies. So HAL fills these undesirable rooms with people like yourself, thinking they got a real upgrade.

I would recommend that you change your reservation and book a specific room, unless you end up losing a substantial amount of money. Or, maybe you are fine with the smaller balcony, if you get "upgraded."

I often see posts from posters that say guarantee cabins are filled with undesirable cabins. How would you know if you always buy a specific room? It's more likely that Hal doesn't sell those v cabins because for a few dollars more you can go to a signature suite so why not do that. I book primarily guarantees when booking a balcony and I've rarely been disappointed. It also hasn't saved me money over booking a specific room. That may happen when you book after final payment. If a person is fussy best to book an actual room.

So let me ask this......I had my TA book a specific cabin for a verandah room. Think it was 6043. Does that mean I have little or no chance to receive an upgrade on my 12 day Oosterdam, cruise in April? I was hoping to call 30 days prior to sailing to see if they would up sell me for a lower price to a signature suite

Edited by FloridaTourist

So let me ask this......I had my TA book a specific cabin for a verandah room. Think it was 6043. Does that mean I have little or no chance to receive an upgrade on my 12 day Oosterdam, cruise in April? I was hoping to call 30 days prior to sailing to see if they would up sell me for a lower price to a signature suite
Upsells are often offered to people who have chosen specific cabins, but free upgrades rarely are. We've done 9 guarantees and 9 chosen cabins. On two of the chosen cabins we were offered upsells. They were both higher than I wanted to pay. On one I made a counter offer but it was declined.

I think 2 out of 9 is a higher ratio of upsell offers than average, though.

I suggest you decide how much you are willing to pay for an upsell, and call your TA to be on the alert for one in that neighborhood.

Edited by jtl513

It's less likely that you would get an upgrade but that won't keep you from getting a paid upsell offer if available for your cruise.

Edited to say jtl types faster than I do :).

Edited by cruz chic

Since you are using a travel agent, HAL will only work through that person. You need to be very clear with him or her that you are INTERESTED in an upsell.

We booked (no TA) an OV for three on the Zaandam South America... received an e-mail with an upsell offer to verandah, I think it was 4-6 weeks pre-cruise. I thought the price was per person and that it was too high, but it continued to nibble at my brain. Finally (almost a week later!) I called and found out the upsell price was only for the first two people, my mom was no additional! That made it suddenly irresistable!

I was very lucky that the offer was still available a week later! Your TA needs to be ready to move on it! So have the conversation ahead of time!

Luckily the TA is my dear MIL. So she has my best interest. I have already told her how much more I would pay. Since the cruise is port intensive, 11 ports in 12 days I opted not to pay for the suite up front because we won't be in the room except to shower after all day in port to go to dinner.

Luckily the TA is my dear MIL. So she has my best interest. I have already told her how much more I would pay. Since the cruise is port intensive, 11 ports in 12 days I opted not to pay for the suite up front because we won't be in the room except to shower after all day in port to go to dinner.

So you're not sleeping there ;)? I don't blame you. It seems like a waste.

A bed is a bed. If you can't enjoy the space of the suite way pay for it?

Agree 100%. I just had this conversation the other day. I like going back to the room generally after my dinner. I rarely see the shows and I may or may not grab a drink. I love sitting on the balcony with some wine. He on the other hand wants to see all the shows, go out to the disco, and stay out half the night etc. If you are going to be out all the time it doesn't make much sense. For me it likely would. Everyone is different.

Edited by cruz chic