Beware drinks package Eclipse

EDF

HI ,

Many questions were asked and were answered with well the premium is the best package. Visiting guest rations was a waste of time as the person there aid that he could nothing about it. At no time was it explained that prices onboard Eclipse on my cruise included gratuities as past to the price structure, was also told that the displayed prices had been that for at least 2 years here again no mention of inc grants. It seems to me that most of the crew have no idea what includes what and don't care about it either.

EDF

I still have to ask the question what is your beef ? Is it that you upgraded unnecessarily? did you take advantage of the higher priced drinks/cocktails/wines/top shelf spirits ? What is it you're actually complaining about ?

Checking your profile you were very active asking questions on CC prior to your cruise, there's a 1001 threads on here showing what's included in the classic drinks package and why some people choose to upgrade to the premium package and yet whilst on a 10/11 ? night cruise you didn't ask a barman what's included in your classic drinks package before upgrading ????

I just don't get what you're complaining about ? Take some responsibility !

Have never seen the gratitude been included on any drink lists.

UK consumer law requires it. So, drinks on sailings from the UK seem to be circa. 20% more expensive. This often causes such confusion.

Stuart

Australia too.

I just had a quick scout about the internet. I don't think there is anything in UK law. As long as you make sure, at the point of purchase. that the buyer is aware that tipping is compulsory, you comply. Even if it was the case most of the sales are made outwith the UK and UK law would not apply once you had left UK territorial waters. That is why you can sometimes get Spanish VAT added if in Spanish waters.

I am sure that Cruise companies are fed up with the attitude of some UK cruisers, when faced with the possibility of having to put their hand in their pocket to pay a tip. We will all have come across those. Every cruise I have sailed out of the UK on does this merging of the tip into the overall price. If you start from anywhere else the prices are lower but the tip is added.

Lets not drag this into another tipping thread that lasts for days.

You're right; I should have said that automatically adding a service charge to drinks prices was virtually unknown in the UK. It's a bit like the difference between the UK expecting VAT-inclusive prices and Americans knowing that Sales Tax will be added to displayed prices.

Stuart

I just had a quick scout about the internet. I don't think there is anything in UK law. As long as you make sure, at the point of purchase. that the buyer is aware that tipping is compulsory, you comply. Even if it was the case most of the sales are made outwith the UK and UK law would not apply once you had left UK territorial waters. That is why you can sometimes get Spanish VAT added if in Spanish waters.

I am sure that Cruise companies are fed up with the attitude of some UK cruisers, when faced with the possibility of having to put their hand in their pocket to pay a tip. We will all have come across those. Every cruise I have sailed out of the UK on does this merging of the tip into the overall price. If you start from anywhere else the prices are lower but the tip is added.

Lets not drag this into another tipping thread that lasts for days.

That font of all legal knowledge the internet;):rolleyes:

I am sure that Cruise companies are fed up with the attitude of some UK cruisers, when faced with the possibility of having to put their hand in their pocket to pay a tip. QUOTE]

There are countries where the gratitude always are included in the listed prices. And if you are NOT familliar the US price lists where the gratitude are added on top of the listed prices when you pay, it actually can be a bit confusing. And if X have different price lists depending on itenary it will add to the confusion.

I find it a bit strange that GR didn't inform OP that the "higher" prices listed did include gratitude. I suppose it must have been some one assuming that everybody should have the knowledge about the different price lists...

At no time was it explained that prices onboard Eclipse on my cruise included gratuities as past to the price structure, was also told that the displayed prices had been that for at least 2 years here again no mention of inc grants.

Nope, the prices do change depending on the departure port. The Southampton cruises do include the service charge (due to British consumer laws). The Caribbean cruises do not include the 18%. In January 2015 we didn´t have any prices including the 18%.

BTW we did receive a flyer listing everything which was included in the Classic package on the first day at one of the tables where they sold the packages. So no need to cope with price lists at all. They do have a flyer.

steamboats

EDF

I still have to ask the question what is your beef ? Is it that you upgraded unnecessarily? did you take advantage of the higher priced drinks/cocktails/wines/top shelf spirits ? What is it you're actually complaining about ?

Checking your profile you were very active asking questions on CC prior to your cruise, there's a 1001 threads on here showing what's included in the classic drinks package and why some people choose to upgrade to the premium package and yet whilst on a 10/11 ? night cruise you didn't ask a barman what's included in your classic drinks package before upgrading ????

I just don't get what you're complaining about ? Take some responsibility !

I hate to jump in on another one of these topics but I found EDF's posting very confusing too. But after re-reading it a few times, I think I get their point. The website says Classic covers cocktails up to $8. But that's before gratuity. When they got onboard, the drink menu listed drink prices that included gratuity because it's a UK cruise. So an $8 drink covered by the package was listed as $9.44. Because $9.44 was higher than the $8 he/she thought it wasn't included in the classic package even though it was. So they upgraded to premium even though they didn't need to.

Also, I believe the UK menus simply have a higher price rather than saying that it includes gratuity. So that would probably add to the confusion.

I won't give an opinion on who's right or wrong (OP or Celebrity) but I suspect if they approached the staff with a similarly confusing explanation and started talking about websites which the ship crew doesn't know about, I can see why he/she thought they weren't getting any answers. Personally, I would have said screw it and enjoyed the higher priced cocktails!

Edited by Paulras

Same here' date=' that's why I needed smelling salts when I first saw the prices[emoji6']

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Yep, we nearly had heart attacks also....Eclipse charged ridiculous drinks prices on board, we also thought about going teetotal, but on a T/A crossing drinks are really a necessity!:eek:. Even though the standard drinks package cost nearly 1000$ pp we still couldn't get a martini at the martini bar! Just ludicrous!!

Bye Bye Celebrity, you have becomevtoo greedy by far. Better to go with Siversea or Regent....you know what you will get...quality with no one trying to upsell you cr..p all the time. The fee restaurants also are incredibly overpriced. Vote with your feet:p

Australia too.

Yep, Aussies, Kiwis, Brits....we all feel people should work for a decent minimum wage & not have to be supported by gratuities..or even gratitudes. If someone makes a personal decision to pay extra for exceptional service, thats great. But not just because a guy in a bar has taken the top off a bottle of Bud...that is not exceptional service, its his job & he should be paid an acceptable rate by his employer to do this. End of tipping rant...sorry. But drinks prices on X are ludicrous.:eek:

Yep, Aussies, Kiwis, Brits....we all feel people should work for a decent minimum wage & not have to be supported by gratuities..or even gratitudes. If someone makes a personal decision to pay extra for exceptional service, thats great. But not just because a guy in a bar has taken the top off a bottle of Bud...that is not exceptional service, its his job & he should be paid an acceptable rate by his employer to do this. End of tipping rant...sorry. But drinks prices on X are ludicrous.:eek:

The drink prices are pretty similar to what you pay in the US in hotels particularly after you add on the sales tax and gratuity which is an extra 30% all in. I made the mistake in a Miami Hotel a few years ago - bought a Bacardi and a Grey goose both with Diet Coke, I ended up with a bill for $30 and the coke was out of a soda gun.

Went across the road to the Walgreen's drink place and bought a bottle of Bacardi and 12 diet coke for less. If hotels were more reasonable with their prices, their bars would be busier and they would make a lot more in sales and still have a mark up of 70% and the staff would make a lot more in tips. Bacardi costs around $1 for a 50ml measure. They sell at $9 (GP 89%) plus tax plus tip = almost $12 and make $8 all night as no ones buys it. Sell it at $4 they still have an 75% GP but at $5.24 incl tax and tip they will have a busy bar and staff getting decent tips.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

I don't drink now.

And I get really nary a can of Diet Coke, now $3 seems OK (about what I pay at a pub at home but still about 90% profit, since the Supermarkets can sell it for 40 cents a can) but then to be hit another 50 cents to hand it to me, just crazy.

• 3 weeks later...
Does someone have info on exactly which drinks are included in Th Classic Drink package?

Many threads specific to the question. Just do a quick search and you should find lots of lists and photos of lists and menus. We find that the Classic package is more than sufficient for us.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Many threads specific to the question. Just do a quick search and you should find lots of lists and photos of lists and menus. We find that the Classic package is more than sufficient for us.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Have a look here

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2266065

Edited by snowyboy

The drink prices are pretty similar to what you pay in the US in hotels particularly after you add on the sales tax and gratuity which is an extra 30% all in. I made the mistake in a Miami Hotel a few years ago - bought a Bacardi and a Grey goose both with Diet Coke, I ended up with a bill for $30 and the coke was out of a soda gun.

Went across the road to the Walgreen's drink place and bought a bottle of Bacardi and 12 diet coke for less. If hotels were more reasonable with their prices, their bars would be busier and they would make a lot more in sales and still have a mark up of 70% and the staff would make a lot more in tips. Bacardi costs around $1 for a 50ml measure. They sell at $9 (GP 89%) plus tax plus tip = almost $12 and make $8 all night as no ones buys it. Sell it at $4 they still have an 75% GP but at $5.24 incl tax and tip they will have a busy bar and staff getting decent tips.

Gordon - Absolutely agree, but the cost of the drink is not just the dollar for the booze. You need to pay for building the bar, the bartender who often stands there doing nothing - people don't drink much at 10am. - the glasses and washing them, the lemons and stuff that are carried about the world. All sorts of stuff. In Australia - spend time there each year - paid $15 at an RSL for a Beam and Coke in a can, about $11US. Here drink would be about $8 including tax and tip so similar.

The problem is not the prices - other than the confusion about what is included and not as some countries require all in pricing - but ever putting all inclusive prices in cruise fares. Combine that with crew and staff costs going up significantly, ship maintenance costs skyrocketing, and we all know what has happened to cost of a loaf of bread and you have pressure on costs. no idea of the solution except for fares to go up and promo deals to go down. Personally I am pretty sure consumption of alcohol is pretty stable per passenger except when you give "free" promotions. I get by Elite cocktails in the evening and take a coke back to my room. Those two glasses are plenty for me.

Some cruises from the UK show the "total price" which includes the gratuity...but it's only some. Transatlantics to/from the UK are priced without the gratuity added.

I was on the Eclipse TA on Nov first and the prices were over the top expensive. The gratuities must have been added and prices increased as well. For example, the Martini flight was$22 instead of $15 or similar. Most wines in the dining room were in high forty to mid fifty dollar range. Prices were terribly high. Everyone was in shock.

I was on the Eclipse TA on Nov first and the prices were over the top expensive. The gratuities must have been added and prices increased as well. For example, the Martini flight was$22 instead of $15 or similar. Most wines in the dining room were in high forty to mid fifty dollar range. Prices were terribly high. Everyone was in shock.

The price of the martini flight is now $18 (non UK) and they add 18%. Yes, all prices have increased to the point where the "free" classic drink package is actually worth something to even a light drinker.